3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Surgery (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery-78/)
-   -   Protein Grams Help-Guide & Other Food Stuff (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery/150215-protein-grams-help-guide-other-food-stuff.html)

nanj 08-27-2008 05:03 PM

Protein Grams Help-Guide & Other Food Stuff

Credit for this goes to connie_b and thought it was very useful:

Beef
• Hamburger patty, 4 oz – 28 grams protein
• Steak, 6 oz – 42 grams
• Most cuts of beef – 7 grams of protein per ounce

Chicken
• Chicken breast, 3.5 oz - 30 grams protein
• Chicken thigh – 10 grams (for average size)
• Drumstick – 11 grams
• Wing – 6 grams
• Chicken meat, cooked, 4 oz – 35 grams

Fish
• Most fish fillets or steaks are about 22 grams of protein
for 3 ½ oz (100 grams) of cooked fish, or 6 grams per ounce
• Tuna, 6 oz can - 40 grams of protein

Pork
• Pork chop, average - 22 grams protein
• Pork loin or tenderloin, 4 oz – 29 grams
• Ham, 3 oz serving – 19 grams
• Ground pork, 1 oz raw – 5 grams; 3 oz cooked – 22 grams
• Bacon, 1 slice – 3 grams
• Canadian-style bacon (back bacon), slice – 5 – 6 grams

Eggs and Dairy
• Egg, large - 6 grams protein
• Milk, 1 cup - 8 grams
• Cottage cheese, ½ cup - 15 grams
• Yogurt, 1 cup – usually 8-12 grams, check label
• Soft cheeses (Mozzarella, Brie, Camembert) – 6 grams per oz
• Medium cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss) – 7 or 8 grams per oz
• Hard cheeses (Parmesan) – 10 grams per oz

Beans (including soy)
• Tofu, ½ cup 20 grams protein
• Tofu, 1 oz, 2.3 grams
• Soy milk, 1 cup - 6 -10 grams
• Most beans (black, pinto, lentils, etc) about 7-10 grams
protein per half cup of cooked beans
• Soy beans, ½ cup cooked – 14 grams protein
• Split peas, ½ cup cooked – 8 grams

Nuts and Seeds
• Peanut butter, 2 Tablespoons - 8 grams protein
• Almonds, ¼ cup – 8 grams
• Peanuts, ¼ cup – 9 grams
• Cashews, ¼ cup – 5 grams
• Pecans, ¼ cup – 2.5 grams
• Sunflower seeds, ¼ cup – 6 grams
• Pumpkin seeds, ¼ cup – 19 grams
• Flax seeds – ¼ cup – 8 grams

magi 08-27-2008 05:25 PM

Thanks Nancy. That was very helpful

Leenie 08-28-2008 10:11 AM

This is great Nancy, I'm going to make it a Sticky if you don't mind. I think we could use a section on Protein / Protein Drinks, etc...

jillnicole03 08-28-2008 04:29 PM

VEGGIES-
Lentils- 1cup cooked- 160cal/ 18g protein
Split Peas- 1cup cooked- 170cal/ 16g protein
Kidney, Lima Black & Pinto Beans- 200-240cal/ 15g protein
Chickpeas- 1cup cooked- 240cal/ 15g protein
Black eyed peas- 1cup cooked- 220cal/ 12g protein
Veggie Burger- 1patty- 80-130cal/ 10+g protein

SNACKS-
South Beach High Protein Bar- 140cal/10g protein
Odwalla protein bar- 230cal/16g protein

Here is a website for Fresh Start Wildberry shots that are 42g protein
http://lapbandprotein.com/

philandja 08-28-2008 08:12 PM

Nanj thanks so much for this info. I am so trying to learn what is what. I will be back when I am hooked to a printer and print it. :hug::hug:

nanj 08-28-2008 08:49 PM

Hungry Girl's Supermarket List

Here is another really good aide in what to buy for your new lifestyle. Although I don't agree with everything, there are four pages of shopping lists that is a really good guide. http://book.hungry-girl.com/Hungry_G...oppingList.pdf
Lots and Lots of really good ideas.

Thank you Jill, I love lentils and chickpeas. Haven't tried the Odwalla Bar.

Leenie 08-29-2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillnicole03 (Post 2337508)
Here is a website for Fresh Start Wildberry shots that are 42g protein

Some one correct me if I'm wrong... but I thought the body can't absorb more than (approx.) 30 gms of protein in one meal / sitting ???

PhotoChick 08-29-2008 10:17 AM

Quote:

Some one correct me if I'm wrong... but I thought the body can't absorb more than (approx.) 30 gms of protein in one meal / sitting ???
Nooooo ... where'd you hear that? Hah. On second thought, I probably don't wanna know! :)

There's no reason your body can't absorb far more protein in one meal. Depending on how *used* you are to it, it's possible for protein loading to make you sick at first - your body isn't USED to having that much protein. But it's kinda the same thing as ... oh, I dunno. Eating a bag of chips? :) Or even eating a pound of fresh fruit at one sitting. Your body rebels against what it's not used to. But if you adapt to it, then it becomes natural.

Some people never have that response. My body took to getting more protein beautifully - it really changed my eating patterns a lot.

Shannon in ATL 08-29-2008 10:39 AM

I've also responded well to getting more protein in my diet - I'm up to 80-90 grams per day now, not a great amount, but I'm only eating 1200 cals, so that is 26%-30%. I'm going to try to move up to 110-120 grams when I start strength training and eating more calories for maintenance.

jiffypop 08-29-2008 04:12 PM

ummm - most people who haven't had the surgery can absorb that much protein - 40 grams or so. but those of us who've had GASTRIC BYPASS can't - we're limited to about 20-25 grams MAX.

Leenie 08-30-2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhotoChick (Post 2338665)
Nooooo ... where'd you hear that? Hah. On second thought, I probably don't wanna know! :)

We're talking about Weight Loss Surgery

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiffypop (Post 2339123)
ummm - most people who haven't had the surgery can absorb that much protein - 40 grams or so. but those of us who've had GASTRIC BYPASS can't - we're limited to about 20-25 grams MAX.

Thats what I thought Jiffy.... thanks.

jillnicole03 08-30-2008 11:01 AM

That's weird because my aunts doctor told her to buy those shots since she had gastric bypass. So I don't know why her doctor would tell her to take these if she isn't suppose to have more than 25.

Leenie 08-30-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jillnicole03 (Post 2339999)
That's weird because my aunts doctor told her to buy those shots since she had gastric bypass. So I don't know why her doctor would tell her to take these if she isn't suppose to have more than 25.

Wow, I don't know Jill, I'm sure her doctor knows whats best for her :shrug:

nanj 09-04-2008 07:32 AM

Clean-Eating Magazine

If you guys get a chance to peruse this magazine it has some really good recipes in it. I made the pumpkin oatmeal with the protein powder topping and it was good; mine was a little more liquidy than their picture. I have made the Peanut Butter Fudge protein bars and had a small taste test before I put them in the frig at 11:00 last night and the taste was good. I'm waiting to see the consistency, well how they hold together. The mag has all of the nutritional info.

carvinmom 09-08-2008 12:45 AM

clean eating magazine

Hi Nancy,

I been not posting for quite some time, been busy getting off the farm ,since we lost it. After 43 years of farming , needless to say we have accumulated a lot of stuff!!!
Ive been doing really good since my surgery, and have not one regret at all.. im leveled off right now and that darn scale will not budge. But im not worried like i use to be about the weight going down. Now its just a lifestyle change and i know the weight will come off, if i keep on program. Im doing most low carb and high protein except doctor thinks i need to add more carbs. I have trouble exercising still, with this darn fibro but im on a good pain management now and im WALKING again. It feels so good to be able to breath and walk at the same time... i can even do my flower bed now... hows that for getting the surgery done!! i couldnt function for years...
well , im sure im boring everyone so better get off and let someone else jump in... have missed you.......... carvinmom