Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-21-2007, 07:00 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Default Hello everyone! Miss Loser here!

Thank you for all the encouragement and nice to see Simply Being Me is home also. Carvinmom good to see you still up and at em. I'm still having a big issue with the "foamies" and it is really aggravating, and I hope it passes soon. I take a sip of anything and out comes the foam. Mostly it makes me feel really stuffed and gaggy all the time. DD came yesterday and made up some protein jello with the protein bullets and it seems a little heavier than the foam and I can get a few bites in before heaving. My little grandkids think that I spit out big cotton balls; that's what it looks like. Surgery was well....surgery. I did find out something interesting about myself. I have had chronic diarrhea all my life and have had many tests and many dxs. The surgeon came back after surgery and told my family he wasn't surprised that I had the chronic problem because my small intestines were half the length that they were suppose to be and that they didn't have to alter them too much. I hope all of you new post-op people are doing well, and for those a little farther out I wish I was there right now. I had the best care at the Barix C. and it was one on one care because their census was down. They even gave me a special pair of tongs to wipe my hinnie with so I wouldn't have to bend. LOL! Hernias were repaired and I think that is giving me more pain really then the RNY. I am now in the "Miss Loser" catagory!!!! I met my internet friend, Amy. She is so sweet. She had an appointment with our doctor the day after my surgery and asked if we could meet. She was tied up in four different accidents on the way to her appt., and after she finally got there, they forgot about her and she waited an extra two hours. But, she still took the time to come up and see me and bring me flowers. She look wonderful and getting very fit. She had on a pair of jogging shorts, a pedometer, and size 12 clothes and was going to work out after her visit with me. My DH was really impressed with her progress; remember she just turned 40. She has four really athletic, busy kids and they love going up to her arms and squeezing her "guns". You all take care. Jiffypop, sorry about the day with your mom. Hope you got some good down time.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 02:33 PM   #2  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

NANJ! I mean Miss Loser!! HUG so glad your doing well!!! How do you make Protien Jello???? (I'm a jello fiend lately)
I'm so glad you got to see your friend and your fam got to see successful WL with the surgery
Keep up the good work!
Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 08:51 PM   #3  
Losin' it forever!

Nan! Welcome back! So glad to hear it all went so well! I hope the foamies soon go away for you and you are soon feeling ready to conquer the world!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 12:56 AM   #4  

Hi nanj.Just wanted to say hi and congratulations to you and I hope the foamies go away NOW lol Seriously I hope it goes away soon.That sounds frustrating.
Big hugs
Kim e
seabreez2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:54 PM   #5  

Default Protein Jello

DD mixed 1 c. hot water with SF Grape Jello and then added 2/3 c. cold water and then a 3 oz New Whey Grape flavored protein bullet (this bullet has 42 gr. protein in a 3 oz). It sat up well and doesn't have much of an after taste and was very grapey. DD also tried another jello recipe with Pro-Stat 64, YUCK! You could smell it when you opened the refrigerator door and was very bitter. Dang stuff cost 32.00! Still having problems with the foamies; all my pills ride on the foam as it goes up and down. I try not to take narcotics and hadn't had any from 1:30 p.m. til 10:30p.m. last night and decided that I had let it go to long and so I took two of them!!! Wrong! Took me an hour to get them down and about 15 minutes later, my fingers and toes started to tingle; I sweat clear through my clothes, on the chair and down my legs and threw up! Foamed like a rabied dog and in between retches, announced to my DH that I must have been nuts for doing this to myself! He had to push me in the computer chair to the bathroom to clean up! I was so embarrassed and for the first time in my life, I think I was strung out! I know I just have to wait out the foamies, but if I throw-up with a newly operated on abd. again, I asked my DH to hit me in the head with a shovel. At this point, it would probably be a pleasure for him! LOL!! I'm trying really hard to get stuff in, but the foam keeps me so full and gaggy; it is really hard. BUT... only temporary!!! Hope you are all doing well. Got rid of the "devil" c-pap machine. Luckily, during surgery and recovery, I didn't dip one time so it was discontinued. We had to go to Wallyworld, and I need to hang onto a cart and walk for some exercise. Pharmacist has made several suggestions about my time-released meds and my surgeon told me to deal with them through my PC. I seriously for the first time got such a hunger rush. DH went through Burger King drive-thru and I got a whiff of it and went nuts. I know I'm not hungry, and was surprised at the reaction that I had. Lots of people told me that they didn't even think about food after their surgeries. Scared the crap out of me! Just re-enforced that I'm going to have to be forever vigilant! Talk with you all later.

Last edited by nanj; 10-22-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:17 AM   #6  
carvinmom

S/C/G: 359/254/150

Height: 5'5''

hi nancy, good to hear from you... you sure sound like what my daughter and i went through.. even the wheelin the computer chair to the bathroom!! This is when she had the surgery.. she had the foamies everyday.. couldnt keep anything down. sugar free popcycles worked!!! couldnt drink tap water,only boughten water. never liked any protein drink.. but came and helped me after my surgery and loves my protein drink!!! So shes starting over and we are doing it together now.. im in my fourth week, can pretty much do soups but prefer to puree or they kinda dont go down good... did take my time release pills and have them made into smaller doses so i could swallow them.. the capsules , you can not open them ,,it wont work that way...
I started out by using my little medicine cups to eat out of ,,, tiny amount and slow , very slow,,,,, if i dont sip something lets me know right away..... i make lots of smoothies ,was in big city and didnt feel good so daughter said go get some mashed potatoes at kfc and i did and it sure made me feel good, who knows why..
I get a roasted chicken at cosco give dh the good parts and i boil the bones and white meat , add chicken broth for xtra flavor.crock pot this all day long.... discovered something good... i take some broth in a cup and tried some rice skin wraps crumbled up in the broth.. wow ... smooth sailin all the way down and good..... just some ideas ive found this month, so hope they help ... so far so good........ 31 pounds down............. carvinmom
carvinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:53 AM   #7  

Default 31 pound!!!!

I'm so glad you and you DD are doing things together and it seem doing it well. Grandchildren have been here since 6:30 a.m. and they talked their GD into making Easy Bake Oven cookies and I am laughing myself silly. GD needed to read the instructions first, but no......LOL! They both came with colds!!! I'm drinking a SF coco mix with a scoop of Mattrix chocolate powder. I think that is about 25 gr. prot. Takes me so dang long because of the foamies. I think half of it comes back up! How long did your DD foamies last? My DH got me a new box of SF popsicles and I think your right that they do go below the foam. I really couldn't figure out how I am suppose to know I"m full and have only been able to do a fourth of a cup at a time, well last night decided that I would try to go a little more and I think the soup was more viscous and after about three TBSP I hiccuped. I had done this once before and realized that the hiccup means I'm done. About the time released, I was having such heart palpitations after the one time released and the pharmacist told me that after I had broken it, it was going straight into my bloodstream and causes my heart to race. She has been a better resource than my PC. She figured out a way, to take two little small uncut pills but it is going to cost me more. Oh well....! The broth and rice wrappers sound good. Will give that a try. I did notice that one can of soup last forever and you get kind of tired of it. I wish I could get the water in. That is the main foam problem. I block out a four hour period on my nutrition paper and try to do a 16 oz bottle, but haven't had much luck. Hey, I saw our walking sticks being used by a Grand Canyon guide last night on TV. I'm so looking forward to that! I don't know about your weather, but it rained 24 hrs. here and thru today. I really don't have a place to walk in the house so that is going to be a challenge. Well, better go see it GD is in a state of panic yet. Hope you all have a good day.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:49 AM   #8  
carvinmom

hi nancy,, you sound a little better today.... i didnt have teh foamies and no throwing up ...sorry!!! but so glad... did you consider being lactose intolerant after your surgery.. this is what happened to daughter.. everything with milk product came up, foam and all. she wasnt before surgery..
i started with a medicine pill container to measure my meals with and that was it... seems like a quarter a cup is a lot for just getting surgery done, but i might be wrong.. i can barely get a half cup in some times.. the key for me is to eat lots of times during the day but very little at a time and i do okay.. if i eat to much at once ,, urrr my stomache boils fast.. i still have trouble getting water in but do put water in my protein smoothies and have water with me all the time.. my problem is being very tired quickly. not sure if im pushing it or feel i should be farther along.. i lack patience. my sticks are waiting for i cant do them yet, i tried. Need some advice on finding some energy level kick in the pants!!! Dont forget to try the mashed potatoes, even with some chicken broth...email me anytime..... maybe this is to long on here..... carvinmom

Last edited by carvinmom; 10-24-2007 at 02:51 AM. Reason: missed some words
Old 10-24-2007, 03:14 AM   #9  
carvinmom

Default anyone hear from jiffypop

Hows jiffypop doing? Havent seen or heard from her lately. Just want to make sure shes doing alright.. prayers are always sent with hugs..... carvinmom
Old 10-24-2007, 08:08 AM   #10  

Default 1/4 c.??

Carvinmom: Thank you for the mention about the milk. I am having a little trouble with the smoothies that have the milk in them. They seem to make the foamies even worse, so have backed off the milk. When I say a 1/4c. that takes me about an hour to get down, so it is probably two TBSP a half hour. I kind of let the stuff coat the spoon and lick it off. I'm trying not to make too much of a protein drink up in advance because it just gets wasted and I don't know how long the protein stays, well viable or stable and the darn stuff is expensive. I am feel much better today, and didn't have one episode during the night of the foamies. Hope those things are gone for good. I blended cottage cheese and pineapple juice from a Barix recipe and strained it and couldn't for the life of me get any of it down. Again, another milk product. I wish I could have mash potatoes; can't do them until Nov. 8th. I hope your energy level comes up. Impatient.....um know exactly what you mean!!!
Old 10-24-2007, 09:07 AM   #11  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

NAn I had a big problem with whey protien when I was first Post op still iffy on it.
Pineapple is going to have a lot of sugar.
Maybe you could try some silken tofu? to blend with your protien make like a pudding?
Are you allowed eggs?
eggs saved me many a time!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 AM   #12  
Old Cackler

whoa!!! hold on there, girls!!!!! from what you two are posting, it looks like you're getting more carbs than protein. and carbs can cause dumping and lack of energy at this early stage after surgery [fer cryin out loud, ladies, carvin is barely 3 weeks post-op, and nan is 2 weeks post-op!!!!]

JIFF'S ADVICE: don't use a blender to mix your protein drinks. pour them over ice instead - making smoothies with the blender and added ice adds WAYYYY too much air for many of us, and leads to, ummm, unpleasant results - like the foamies, like discomfort, like not being able to get the protein down that you need to.

don't add pineapple. don't eat mashed potatoes. too many carbs. don't add juice. don't ingest more than about 20 grams of protein at any one time. we can't absorb more than that. [so, 42-gram bullets are actually TWO servings of protein].

and carvin - because you're getting tired, babe, listen up. YOU'VE JUST HAD MAJOR SURGERY AND YOU'RE HEALING!!! make sure you're getting your protein and water in. and then REST. bits of exercise throughout the day, of course, but really darlin - give yourself a break.

Last edited by jiffypop; 10-25-2007 at 09:16 AM.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:09 AM   #13  
Old Cackler

oh. and Kier's right - eggs can work. go ahead, make an egg custard!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:53 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 262/218/145

Height: 5'4'

Have either of you tried cottage cheese. I was told about that from Anna and she said to put just a little olive juice in it, and it goes down good for me. I begain with 1/4 a cup and now I eat 1/2 cup. That's my breakfast lots of mornings. For some reason, I can't eat eggs that much anymore and don't care for true breakfast food. Just a thought for you.

Blessings.
Lolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #15  

Default Carbs!!

Thank you guys for all of the suggestions. I'm actually 8 days postop and have to be on full liquids thru Nov. 8th. I'm trying to follow the recipes that were given to me by the Clinic. Anything that I take in at this point has to be something that will melt or can go through a fine sieve. The cottage cheese recipe is 2/3 c. pineapple juice and 1/2 c. ff cottage cheese and one scoop of whey protein. Blended and put through a seive. Now what is wrong with this picture?! Sugar and carbs, exactly. I tried 2 TBSp of pineapple juice, 1/4 c. cottage cheese and 1/2 scoop of protein. But wasn't able to get it down. Here is another: 1 c. skimmed milk; 1 pkg no added sugar carnation breakfast; 1 scoop of protein powder; 1/2 c. frozen strawberries, no added sugar. This is a typical recipes that the Clinic gave me. I haven't been able to do many of the recipes, because of the foamies until today. DD made real egg castard with splenda, that I have used as a blended drink and add protein. Tofu blend is next on my list of things to try. I'm going to try a poached egg tomorrow and see if I can blend the darn thing smooth. I've eaten mostly creamed soups, protein jello, Mattrix hot chocolate, no added sugar yogart, Fruit-flavored Nectars, etc. The soups, for 1/2c. serving, have 2 proteins, 10 carbs, sugar 1 gr. I've only been able to get down 1/4 c. at a time. JIffy, I did do the protein powder blender thing and yikes! 3/4 foam 1/4 liquid! First four pages of the recipes booklet have either skimmed milk, fruit or juices. I asked the nutritionist about all of the carbs and she told me that the first three week are considered a healing time not a time to lose and her main concern was no more than 2 gr. of sugar. Now it this all doesn't spin your head. Thank God for the fruit flavored Nectars. I seem to have short bursts of energy and tire easily; but that is a time thing. Nut called today to check on me and didn't think that 1/4c. was unreasonable if taken over 20 minutes to 45 minutes. She said that when I start with something more substantial that it would probably be harder to eat 1/4c. I have lots of questions for her next Wednesday, after check up. More than anything I'm just drinking water.

Last edited by nanj; 10-24-2007 at 10:29 PM.