Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-19-2007, 04:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 440/208/220 Exceeded by 12 lbs

Height: 5'10"

Default Greetings!!!

Greeting to everyone here!!! I am new to these boards and just found out about it here from my wife. Yes I am a Man!! lol

A little about myself....

I have had a weight issue for 26 years and had been on several diets, weight loss programs with mixed results. In the last 2 years my health had really gone down hill and I knew I had to take drastic measures or I might not make it very much longer. I was at the end of my rope... I had sleep apnea, high blood psi, insulan resistant, type 2 diabetic leading into type 1, emotional issues as well. I was taking 7 meds a day and feeling like crap. Well I finally fessed up and said enough was enough. I went to a bariatric hospital and meet with the doctors and finally did it. After 6 months of waiting and endless tests I was approved and had my surgery, Bastric bypass. It was a day I will never forget and a day to start my new life. I had surgery on
Dec 4th 2006. I have had my ups and downs and it took a little while to get the hang of the new lifestyle but I am not regreting it at all. I am now 5 1/2 months post op. My max weight was 440 lbs and am now down 105 lbs as of this morning. I just went out and got some new clothes and was shocked that I was down 5 pant sizes and 2 shirt sizes so far. I belong to a suport group that meets 2 times a month and really recommend it to all that have the surgey if possible. I am sure I can add to the boards with my experiences if needed.

I am no longer taking any meds, have normal blood psi and am also no longer diabetic (Thank You Lord!!)

I realize this is a tool not a fix but it has its times that help when there would not be. I just wish I had done it several years earlier.

Mike
Pazazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 04:33 AM   #2  

Sorry to double post Mods please delete this one!! Thanks!
Old 05-19-2007, 06:34 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

WOWEEEEEE Mike, thats wonderful... congratulations on your weight loss.

Welcome to 3FC's

The weight loss is amazing but when I hear people coming off their meds, it makes me teary eyed....thats the best part. I'm jealous of you men though, you tend to lose weight so much easier than us chicks.

I'm really glad your here

Are you still in Popeye's parking lot ? if so, look over your shoulder and wave to me
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 07:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Congratulations!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:26 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

popeye's??? i've never had their chicken! it always looks wonderful

oh. wait. way off topic.

great to meet you, mike - ya gotta hang out with us. we promise not to lead you TOO far astray!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #6  

Actually Popeye's was one of my favorite places to eat. I still get to taste it when I get a craving, 1 chicken wing and a small side and I can't even finish that... I have had amost no fast food since december and take my lunch now. 2 big differences, I have more $ and I eat alot healther.

Leenie, I know what you mean.... I was all teary eyed when the doc smiled and told me NO MORE MEDS!!! Diabetis runs on both sides of the family with my Mom having it and both Grandmothers. I see the trouble it brings and am SO THANKFUL I was able to reverse the issue!!! I know save over $140 a month with no meds to purchase as well. I have only one issue left to deal with and that is my sleep apnea and that will go away now with the rest of my weight.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

You know whats strange... I don't like fast food. When my skinny DH wants to go to a fast food joint I get PO'd LOLOL, I gained all my weight from eating good hardy home cooked meals...... plus *blush* chocolate...my weakness (sweets really).

I'm so glad that your taking control of your health ... it takes a brave soul to take the bull by the horns.

Your wife must be so proud of you
Old 05-25-2007, 12:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 421/202/170

Height: 5'6"

You are doing great, that's alot of weight to lose in such a short time, congrats
tann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:28 AM   #9  

HELP!! I am still shrinking!!! LOL

Down another 10 to 325... I have had to up my protein to get off this platue and it seems to be working. Thats the latest...
Old 06-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Congratulations....shrinking man
Old 06-29-2007, 07:55 PM   #11  
banned

I couldn't even tell you the last time I had fast food, outside of a veggie sub from Subway, and even that has to be on wheat bread, since I don't tolerate white breads well anymore.

As for meds, pre-banding, I was on NINE different ones. Now I am down to three, but I know one is going to be for the rest of my life, no matter what I weigh. I don't even need my apnea machine as much as I once did. I thinking banding was the best thing to happen to me!
LAnneCarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:44 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 385/238/145

Height: 5'11"

Congratulations!! You inspire me!
jaxnlula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 262/218/145

Height: 5'4'

Jax -when did you get home? How are you doing? Don't you love the fast weight loss we get? I'm so anxious to hear from you. Please write and tell me all about your experience.

Blessings.
Lolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:56 AM   #14  

Update down another 12 lbs to 313... Make slow progress... but steady.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #15  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Slow is GREAT !!!! congratulations Mike