Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 08:48 PM   #1  
Just 1 More Piece PLEASE!

Arrow Hunger Pangs

Hey everyone!
I have an issue on hand that I could really really use some advice on!
This past month I have been very bad. Eaten whatever and whenever I wanted and absolutely threw counting calories out the window. I am now back to old habits and the scale is reminding me as well.
I find every morning that I wake up and say "OK! Today's the day I start!" Everything goes fine, until I get a hunger pang that makes me want to eat everything in sight. Celery just doesn't fill me up, or do anything for me.
I feel like I'm hungry all the time. I've tried water, and I've tried vegetables but I'm not hungry for that at all...I'm hungry for what I want.
Does anyone have any advice? I previously dropped 70 pounds, but now I'm gaining again and I don't want to let that happen! It's really depressing too
Old 11-30-2006, 08:53 PM   #2  
No description available.

Perhaps your stomach has stretched out a bit and you need some time to "retrain" it to smaller servings.

Try a little protein every 2-3 hours. String cheese, egg whites, lean turkey, cottage cheese.

Good luck! And congrats on your loss so far!
Old 11-30-2006, 08:59 PM   #3  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Amen on the protein; it's what fills you up!

It may just take sometime to get over these cravings. It's like when an addict quits doing the drugs, he's still got to go through the detox period (which can apparently be misery it's self).

Stay strong!!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, it's the protein thing! IMHO ... well actually there's a lot of documentation about that too.
Lots of programmes suggest 5 or 6 little meals each day. A few whole wheat crackers, low fat cheese and some crunchy vegetables, for instance -or- a fruit with a 1/2 cup of low fat cottage cheese.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #5  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

I totally agree on the small meals every 2-3 hours. Make it good wholesome food, the things your body actually needs. I swear by this and i'm never hungry!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:47 PM   #6  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Embrace the hunger. You have got to retrain your stomache.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:45 PM   #7  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Are you eating enough?

Vegetables and celery sticks don't fill me up on their own either I think people generally - I don't mean you, but ppl in general - have this misconception about dieting, that they have to be hungry and restrict/deny themselves. I guess the restriction might vary from person to person depending on what someone craves and what they are used to eating, but IMHO, no one should ever go hungry because they are trying to lose weight.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:02 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I've got to agree, every 2 - 3 hours with the protein. I had an absolutely ravenous, unsatiable appetite. I was the bottomless pit as far as food went. Started with the protein every 2-3 hours, and I'm happy to say I am the bottomless pit no more. But it did take time to "train" me to get this way. I'd say it took about 2-3 weeks. So if you can hang in there for a mere,(although at the time it did seem quite so mere), 2 -3 weeks you absolutely CAN get past this. Good luck.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:07 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

And by the way look at "Beautiful One's" quote at the end of her posts. It might be of help to you, kinda answers your question as well. It says -
Don't trade what you want the most for what you want at the moment.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:33 PM   #10  
a brave new me...

How many calories are you eating in a day? Are you eating a lot of simple carbs (e.g. white flour producets, sugary foods, fruit juice, potatoes, most refined and processed foods)? How much water are you drinking? Try tracking your food intake for a week... calories, fat, fiber, and protein, and water. This will tell you a lot about why you are hungry or why you are craving cerain things. It could be too few calories, too little fiber, too little protein, too little water, or a combination.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:49 PM   #11  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

The dietitian tells me to eat breakfast as soon as I get and to make sure in includes FIBER and PROTEIN. Many cereals have both, Fiber First is one, I have 1 cup of cereal and a banana or handful of nuts, or a a slice of bread folded with chunky PB in it and a glass of milk (and a banana).
Old 12-01-2006, 06:32 PM   #12  

I get those hunger pangs ALL the time, especially right before TOM comes to town. I eat a banana and drink a nice sized glass of skim milk (protein right there), and it helps calm me down enough to get it together, then I can plan my next meal w/o thinking with my stomach. I too do the 6 small meals/day. Well, 3 meals and 2-3 snacks a day. It helps to use healthy snacks to take the edge off and not allow hunger to overtake you. Celery has never done it for me either unless you put a small amount of PB on it.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:56 PM   #13  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

I am sure protein helps and I know what really helps me is the smaller healthy meals thruout the day. I think sojourner hit the nail on the head of what triggers me to have bad food cravings. Also a big one for me I discovered recently was high fructose corn syrup! My whole wheat bagels had it in them! Those were driving me insane for about a week with extra bingy hunger cravings til I realized the only thing new I added was the bagels. I deleted the bagels and deleted the crazy cravings! I feel back to normal now.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:00 PM   #14  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Quote:
Also a big one for me I discovered recently was high fructose corn syrup!
Oh heck yes. HFCS is evil, evil stuff that turns me into a raging banshee. A FAT raging banshee. Not a pretty picture.

So many foods are including this vile substance now a days, so READ the labels carefully!! I've found HFCS in hummus and kidney beans!!
Old 12-01-2006, 08:13 PM   #15  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

It is just terrible isn't it?
Closed Thread