Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #1  

Default Lost 2 pounds! calories in/out?

Lost 2 pound!!! Thanks to all on this forum for your support. It's been great. And very helpful.

I'm eating the EXACT same amount of calories. But making sure to get in veggies&fruit. I keep hearing calories in/calories out- but are all calories really the same? Oh well- who cares. whatever works!

Thanks again!
wedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #2  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Way to go! I know I have to drink my water, eat my vegies and fruit and milk each day. It is slow and steady. I need to learn to be patient!
Newlifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #3  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

I was wondering how do you get the ticker to use so it shows on the page?
Newlifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:24 PM   #4  
Is too long. I sum up.

S/C/G: 240/229.5/140?

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlifestyle View Post
I was wondering how do you get the ticker to use so it shows on the page?
Hi, and welcome.

Go up to the link that says "User CP" in the upper left. Then click on "edit signature." There will be a link there for adding a ticker!

Julie

Edit: I said "Welcome" but you've been here longer than I have. Sorry.
Eiluj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:56 PM   #5  

Congrats on your 2 pound loss!!
Apolline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Congratulations!
Grumbleworts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Ok ... about calories in vs calories out.
You should all be afraid ... very very afraid ... because I've been thinking about this ....

There are a couple of reasons why this may not appear to be true.

Weight lose is not logically linear. We as women should know that, especially. Hormones (for one thing) interfere.

Remember that a liter of water weighs 2.2 lbs. A healthy fluid shift can do that for ya.

If you are eating healthier, purer foods, all elimination systems will be working more efficiently ... um ... fluid ... etc. This will help with that healthy fluid shift too.

According to Venuto and a few others, eating actually boosts your metabolism. Each time you put food into your stomach, your body needs calories to process it. That is from where the theory of small frequent meals comes.

Maybe if you're feeling good, enthusiastic about your new plan, anticipating the happy results ... there's a spring in your step and you're using more calories than you think.

There ... a bit of logic, a bit of science and a bit of fun.
Maybe someone else has a good answer
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:38 AM   #8  

Height: 5'8.5"

I am a firm believer that all calories are NOT the same!! IMO our bodies process fruits and veggies, etc., SO much more efficiently than junk food! And they are certainly more healthful.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:13 PM   #9  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I would tend to agree - when I eat cleaner (less processed) calories, I notice that I have more energy and workouts are easier.

SusanB - you crack me up.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

I would also agree that not all calories are the same and that physical activity has a lot to do with it. Last night I lost 2 pounds also, though I had eaten 1955 very healthy clean calories yesterday. Now, I had really gone crazy at the gym yesterday and also did a lot of walking doing errands. While on the weekend I was eating around 1900 calories and had gained then stabilized, but I hung around the house and got no exercise whatsoever. Last week I had eaten 1300 calories one day and then saw the 2 pounds off the next morning, only to creep back on by the end of the week. I wish it was as simple as eating a certain number of calories and being guaranteed the same amount of weight loss. My experience is that the days where I work out or get out of the house and walk around I tend to lose weight.
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think we all have to remember that just because one event follows another doesn't mean that the first event caused the second.

Just because you eat 1900 calories one day and lose weight the next day doesn't mean the weight loss is caused by eating more calories. There are a lot of other factors in play and weight loss is not linear.

Remember too that our scales are poor instruments for what we want to measure: FAT loss. The scales weigh all of us: bone, fat, muscle, water. When we get on the scale and it shows a loss, we don't know WHAT we lost: fat? water? muscle? and in what combination.

Maybe you've been doing this program for a few weeks and lost a couple of pounds of fat, but you're also retaining water, so the number on the scale reads the same, masking the loss. A couple of days later, you stop retaining the water. It so happens it's the day after you eat 100 M&Ms. That doesn't mean you can conclude those M&Ms caused the weight loss. Instead, the loss is caused by all the small, good choices you made over the past few weeks.

I believe our brains are wired to find cause/effect relationships -- it's very helpful for us to understand the world around us. However, we freuquently mis-identify these causal relationships, but don't realize it.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:45 PM   #12  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Definitely agree that causal relationships with weight loss are VERY difficult. Everything you do can take weeks to be reflected.

But as to the fruits/veggies connection versus calories...fiber baby, fiber. Fiber is harder to digest, it burns calories just eating it, and it removes waste and water from your system more effectively. The more you eat the more you poop.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 04:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Re: FIBER
Poop? LOL! Ennay, you are definitely a mom of a small child, I also use that term for the stuff in Angeline's diapers. Prior to giving birth, I used to use the far less polite "sh**". Anyway, what do you eat to get all that fiber and how many grams of fiber per day do you recommend?
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote