215ish - 135ish CLUB - Let's catch up!

• 215-135

Hi everyone, this is my 2nd week and I wanted to touch base with all of you who posted that you were around my same starting way or maybe a little ahead of me already, and we all have a long road ahead of us...but let's see how we're doing and where we're at.

1) did you lose or gain this week? I am the same as the day I started
    2) what time did you wake up today? 6am
    3) what time will you go to bed? 10 or 11
    4) do you ever nap during the day? usually by 3pm I need a nap!
    5) how much time did you spend working out today? so far only 30 minutes
    6) are you on a diet plan? if so which one? I'm not on one, just using myfit.com to help me count calories.
    7) have you already shared / posted a mini-goal, and if not when do you plan your first mini-celebration? I think mine will be when I break 200.
    8) what is your favorite snack? I haven't found one yet.
    9) what is your favorite breakfast meal? I haven't found one of those yet either!
    10) if you post answers here, please ADD one question to the list!

I will check back in a week to see how we are doing!
  • 1) did you lose or gain this week? lost 2 lbs
    2) what time did you wake up today? 7:00
    3) what time will you go to bed? 11ish
    4) do you ever nap during the day? ha!
    5) how much time did you spend working out today? 60 mon, thurs, sat, 30 mins other days, several hours of tennis on Sundays
    6) are you on a diet plan? modified optifast (under excellent doctor's supervision)
    7) have you already shared / posted a mini-goal, and if not when do you plan your first mini-celebration? Goal for new years is 190
    8) what is your favorite snack? laughing cow cheese
    9) what is your favorite breakfast meal? peanut butter on ww bread
    10)(my question) How do you distract yourself when you have the munchies?
  • I had no idea that optifast was still around! Isn't that what Oprah did a long time ago??? Hmmmm, I think I need to talk to my doctor! My diet is only one week old and it isn't anything formal, only calorie counting. You have me thinking now!

Answer to your question: How do I distract myself when I have the munchies? Flavored water with crushed ice...keeps my mouth busy
  • 1) did you lose or gain this week? gained .4; first week I haven't lost, sort of bummed out!
    2) what time did you wake up today? 5:45
    3) what time will you go to bed? 11ish
    4) do you ever nap during the day? no time!!
    5) how much time did you spend working out today? none so far, but will do a minimum of 30 min on the elliptical later this evening
    6) are you on a diet plan? Weight Watchers....flex
    7) have you already shared / posted a mini-goal, and if not when do you plan your first mini-celebration? Onederland for Christmas!
    8) what is your favorite snack? Special K Strawberry bars....yummmmm...for something sweet, or baby carrots with Laughing Cow cheese for a healthy/crunchy snack!
    9) what is your favorite breakfast meal? oatmeal with milk & Sweet 'n low
    10) How do you distract yourself when you have the munchies? I ALWAYS have gum on hand!
    11) how do you handle the discouragement of a gain, even a little one?
  • 1) did you lose or gain this week? Gained 2lbs overnight!? Water weight?
    2) what time did you wake up today? 7:00
    3) what time will you go to bed? Between 9 & 10 (this is a new habit I'm trying to get into--I always end up staying up waaay too late)
    4) do you ever nap during the day? one in a very great while I have a chance
    5) how much time did you spend working out today? none so far--i am struggling with getting started again. I will plan on doing a strength-training session.
    6) are you on a diet plan? Just paying attention to fat and bad carbs and overall calories.
    7) have you already shared / posted a mini-goal, and if not when do you plan your first mini-celebration? no, i haven't yet, but i would like to lose 5 lbs between now and christmas.
    8) what is your favorite snack? Lite fudge pops (sugarfree) lowfat popcorn
    9) what is your favorite breakfast meal? coffee (i'm not much of a breakfast person)
    10) How do you distract yourself when you have the munchies? I only really get the munchies at night, so that is why i am trying to go to bed earlier--it worked last night for me.
    11) how do you handle the discouragement of a gain, even a little one? I just have to focus on the fact that I am making a life change and the results will eventually come.
    12) What are your favorite healthy munchies?
  • At the risk of being harrassed by those who don't like optifast..here's what I am doing LOL This is not the same as what Oprah did..she was doing all liquid and only 800 calories a day. I am working with a doctor who has excellent creditials (state board of bariatrics, did her residency at Mount Sinai, been doing this for 20 years, so on and so forth.. I checked her out well! and a dietician who used to work for our local cardiac prevention center. I had been trying to diet since I was in my teens..weight watchers, south beach, body for life..you name it I tried it. Not to mention all those 300 calorie a day diets in my teens. Now, I am working with the doc and dietician to re-learn how to eat, and what to eat. (And here I thought I knew how!)

The optifast basically takes food out of the equation for a while. I only have to concentrate on one meal a day. Having the many small meals a day "shrinks" my stomach so I will feel full faster, and ups my metabolism. I've been doing this about 3 weeks and have lost 8lbs. That will slow down. In about 6-8 weeks, I will start adding back in more "real" food. Probably starting with breakfast. I know a lot of people don't approve, but it's working for me when nothing else did.

Time Plan Event Calories
    7:15 wake up
    7:30 take pill
    8:00 optifast shake 160
    10 optifast shake 160
    12 bar / drink 230 (like a protein bar, and the drink is a protein drink that tasts like koolaid..sorta lol)
    3 shake 160
    4:30 optional drink 0
    5:00 shake 160
    7:00 dinner 350 - 400(real food)
    10:30 drink 70
    11:30 bed
    Total 1250-1300ish I can have more on the days I work out more

exercise 60 min of jazzercise 3 times a week, weights m, w, f, several hours of tennis on Sundays
    water 100 ounces

Dinner is a lean protein, lots of veggies and small portion of carbs. For example last night was chicken and cashew stir fry (yum!) with broccoli, cauliflower, onions, celery, and those stir fry beans Ican'trememberthenameof rightthismoment.

I am also on a very low dose appetite supressant.

My mom had congestive heart failure in her 50's and I am built just like her. My mom, her father, my great grandmother, and many aunts and uncles and cousins have diabeties. I have to get this weight off, and couldn't do it on my own. It took a lot for me to admit I needed help. I fought it tooth and nail! Why couldn't I just eat healthy and exercise more.. like a normal person I am thrilled with my progress so far! but I have a long way to go, so you might want to just stand back and let me be the guinie pig

edit: I do want to mention they gave me a complete physical (complete blood work up) before I started this program.