Need to start immediately--but how???

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • O.k.,

I need to get this started NOW!!! I have a huge history of losing and gaining---we are talking 35+ years . I just weighed myself a week or so ago and am at an all-time high of 239.5--man it hurts to think about that number. (I am 5'91/2" tall.) I hope I have not gone up any since then. I have gained a lot twice in my life due to medication I have to take. I gained 65 pounds once and then this last gain is 65+ pounds. I try every day to do something. I feel like I kind of know what to do, but then I get freaked out and start bouncing around from idea to idea until I don't know what to do . Any idea I come up with , I get scared it won't work, I can't really do it, the medication will not let me lose,,etc. And I get kind of down and scared when I try to start something. Am I crazy??? Has anyone else had the same experience and been successful at finding a way to succeed?

Oh, yeah, and now I have high cholesterol and triglycerides and just had to start taking something for my blood pressure. I feel like such a failure . And I have tried lots of things---WW, calorie counting, just eating less....I need to start NOW. But how? I am so tired of this. I read tons of success stories and think surely I can do it, too. But I don't know if I really can. And I know I need to find my own way, but how? Thank you so much for listening. I just don't know what to do anymore.

Crying and praying,
  • Hi tkdkathy... I totally understand how you are feeling.. I used to feel the same way. It is very hard in the beginning because you think you can't do it and that you don't know how to do it. But you can do it and if you start a plan, you will lose weight and prove it to yourself. WW, calorie counting, and most of the other plans that are out there, they all work. The important thing is to find something that fits your life and then follow it. Come to the boards for inspiration and just don't give up, and you'll get there.
  • Thank you, futuresurferchick. Just hearing from someone that they have felt the same way helped a lot! I was posting here awhile back, but then life got in the way. You look like you are doing great! Congratulations! Gives me a lot of hope. Take care.
  • I know the feeling...
    I'm also at the point where I need to start my weight loss immediately, but don't quite know how to do it. I'm so frustrated by my past failures, that I think that I can't do this at all. But, I can do it. I'm going to accomplish my goals, and you're going to also. The fact that you're now more determined than ever to start fresh and lose weight says a lot about you. Keep going!

Kendra
  • just wanted to stop in and wish you luck.
  • I don't want to tell you which plan to use because everyone is different. The 3FC book (and no one is paying me to say it )has a really handy summary of pretty much all the plans, including pros and cons of each plan and suggestions of who they would be best for. Find the plan that best fits your lifestyle and then commit to stick with it for at least 6 months. Maybe if you commit to a time frame like 6 months you won't be second guessing if you are on the right plan? Pretty much all the plans work, the hard part is keeping the faith in yourself. You can do this, the alternative is gaining more weight...nobody wants that.

Looking forward to seeing more posts from you! We are here for ya!!
  • I felt very similar back in July 05. History of gain and loss -- why bother, right??? But at 295 -- and gaining -- I had to do something. And that "had to" really drove me to start.

I think, however, I did have an idea of a plan: EAT LESS, MOVE MORE. Seriously, that was how I started. I took stock of portions. Ordered less out, put less on the plate at home (helps to use smaller plates!).

The biggest thing I did was start taking my own lunch and snacks to work. Instead of fried cheese sticks for lunch and fritos for a snack, I was eating healthier!

I didn't even start with official "exercise" right away, but just tried to move more. Go UP to the 2nd floor to ask hubby a question rather than yelling.

Over time, I started calorie counting, paying attention to fats and protein... focusing more on nutrition... and on the exercise front I started on the treadmill, joined a gym after a while, started weightlifting and recently added yoga...

You have to find a plan that works for YOU. And it doesn't have to be complicated. And you have to COMMIT to the process (though not to any one plan).

But I get the fear. I was scared to start. And I'm still scared -- of gaining it all back!!! In fact, when I started, I wasn't convinced it would work... but I had to do SOMETHING.
  • There is not a standart diet for all people. Everyone has a diferent metabolism so your diet must to be made for you. I recomend you to visit a profesional and he/she will make a diet that is adjusted to your metabolism, food you like and way of life. I hope that this can help

Good luck
    Isa
  • Kathy
    I hear your pain. sometimes starting can be so difficult but the good news is that it is possible and you CAN do it! Maybe what you need is to find what truly works for you. Remember, every step you take brings you closer to where you want to be because you can bring everything you have learned from all of your past experiences to your life today. You are NOT a failure and you CAN do it. I have 100% belief that everyone can lose weight, and we've even seen people with medical complications or on medications that make it much harder, still do it! Which means that it is totally possible It is not always easy, but the fact that you have lost before means that you can lose again! And you can learn to maintain it! How did you lose weight before and how did you gain it back? I think that's important to know. And also to remember, that this doesn't make you a failure! It makes you human and learning Beating yourself up over it won't make you feel any better, and I also believe that losing weight is about feeling good about ourselves. Healthy diet, healthy exercise, and a positive attitude are incredible to this process! There's a saying someone on this board has, positive attitude = positive results. So I invite you to look at the past as valuable learning experiences

In terms of actually starting... small steps hun Start with what is easiest for you to change because it will give you a sense of accomplishment sooner, even if that's something small like wyllenn pointed out - going to the 2nd floor to tell someone something instead of calling up to them. Then build from there. Focus on making yourself feel GOOD not because you have to look a certain way or you believe you have to weigh a certain amount, but because you deserve to feel good about yourself and transform that pain into happiness.

If you're able to, come to 3FC often... the positive attitude here and support are contagious! don't be a stranger, post often!

good luck!!
  • Hey, I know where you are. I was given a wake up call that really jump started mine. I don't reccommend that way though. I will tell you a huge help that got mine really coming off was that I cut out the sweets and soft drinks. I pretty much drink strictly water, when I want a little more flavor those crystal light on the go packs are fantastic. I never use a whole one though just part of one to give the water more flavor. That was almost 2 months ago and I am now down another 20 lbs. I cut my caloric intake by at least 1/2, and I am working out 4 times a week. I am doing it on my own not by some one else's plan belive me I think I have tried just about everything out there. I am also taking an over the counter appetite suppressent so that does help too but that isn't for everyone.
  • Quote: And I have tried lots of things---WW, calorie counting, just eating less....I need to start NOW. But how? I am so tired of this. I read tons of success stories and think surely I can do it, too. But I don't know if I really can. And I know I need to find my own way, but how? Thank you so much for listening. I just don't know what to do anymore.
    The easiest starting point might be to check with one of those ideal weight online calculators. Go to google and do a search and you'll find so many.

See where such things think you should be. They aren't necessarily right, but they give you a starting point.

Then look at your diet. I have a computer program where I journal everything I eat. That works really well for me, but you don't have to be so fancy. Just start writing down what you eat for a few days. You might notice some patterns. You might find you're eating more than you thought. You might find all sorts of things out about when and what you're eating.

And while you're doing all that, read lots of threads here in all the different forums. There's so much information, so many different ways of eating healthier.

Best wishes.
  • Just wanted to offer my support and let you know that I feel the exact same way. I think for all of us the first step has been simply KNOWING that we need to do this? From all the things I've read it is all about baby steps and a little of this and a little of that. Like no sodas, no fast food. Doing situps here and there...just tiny things along the way I think will make a big difference in the long run. Through this site I discovered myfit.com and it is great for someone like me who is a poor planner. I don't think I can follow any ONE diet plan..but seeing my calories add up and how much are carbs, protien, etc, it really helps.
    Goodluck to you and please post often to let us know how you are doing! We believe in you!! You can do this!!!!!!
  • I just wanted to say THANK YOU! Everyone is so kind and all of your replies helped me so much. Busy day today, so not much time to post, but I wanted you all to know how much your kindness means.
  • Doesn't it seem overwhelming!!! I have SO FAR to go!!! What do I DO!!!!!
    I get it, as I was there, too. I gained and lost the same lbs for years. The only way I was successful is that I went to the library, took out a whole bunch of books on weight loss and weight loss plans, found one that worked for me, and committed to it, no matter how long it would take. I am still on the journey, but there are indeed fewer steps to go.
    As a visual reminder, I took two empty glass jars. I filled one with beads - one for each pound I wanted to lose. When I weigh in, I move the right amount of beads between the jars. It really helps to keep them on the fridge, too. This way, you can SEE your progress, and I find it motivating.
    One day, after moving beads, you WILL see that you are progressing, and things won't be so overwhelming. The ONLY way you can fail is not to try. You are not a failure...CHIN UP!
  • Quote: As a visual reminder, I took two empty glass jars. I filled one with beads - one for each pound I wanted to lose. When I weigh in, I move the right amount of beads between the jars. It really helps to keep them on the fridge, too. This way, you can SEE your progress, and I find it motivating.
    I love this idea. I don't have beads, though. Hmm. I guess I could use coins or I wonder if I have some dry beans.

Thanks for the neat idea.

Julie