Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 06:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Default When (and if) to part with fat clothes?

Hey, everyone. I've been lurking for several weeks (I just introduced myself in the Introductions section) and have been meaning to start a thread to find out what all of you have done with your clothes that no longer fit. As I said in my intro, I've lost a regained a couple of times in the last 15-20 years and am so hoping that this is the last time. I'd love to donate everything in my closet that is too big, but there is a side of me that holds back. For one thing, I wouldn't have hardly anything in my closet! I have purchased 3 pairs of slacks in my new size along with some capris and shorts, and about 6-8 tops. The other thing is I'm afriad that I will gain the weight back and wish I still had those size 14s. My sister-in-law says I should get rid of everything because that will prevent me from back sliding because if I do I won't have anything to wear! What do you gals think?
Thanks,
Pam
Old 11-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

I gave away all of my fat clothes when I lost my weight and when my smaller clothes get tight this is when I get back on track with a vengeance because there is no way I want to go back to my large clothes no way!!

Just do it, get rid of them and don't look back...

p.s.: this was a recommendation in Dr. Phil's book, so I took it to heart
Old 11-19-2006, 06:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

I plan on donating my clothes, if there is anything to them by then because I REFUSE to buy anything new in this size so I am kinda wearing them ragged
Old 11-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #4  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Absolutely get rid of them as soon as they're too big. I agree that knowing you have nothing to wear would be motivation for not gaining weight.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #5  
Mel

Get rid of them! If you've got really good clothes, try a consignment shop or donating to organizations who help women who are just getting back on their feet and need professional clothing to wear to interviews. If you have mostly casual, older clothing, Purple Heart or Goodwill always happily take donations.

The only things I kept were a few old t-shirts to wear as painting shirts, a fairly new parka (which I haven't worn in five years- guess I should take my own advice!) and some nostalgia sweatshirts. I like remembering where they came from...not that I wore that size

I'm like Ilene. When the new clothes get a little tight, it's time to really reassess my eating and exercise. I'm not going back there. Period.

Mel
Old 11-19-2006, 07:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

Good question. I'm getting rid of mine as soon as I can. There are a couple of jackets in my closet now that I know are too big. I really can't stand to have them around and *need* to get rid of them.

But, like you, I'll have little left when I do that. We'll be moving soon, so I'll take that opportunity to purge this stuff.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:36 PM   #7  
bouncy

S/C/G: 236/174.5/150

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiMama View Post
Hey, everyone. I've been lurking for several weeks (I just introduced myself in the Introductions section) and have been meaning to start a thread to find out what all of you have done with your clothes that no longer fit. As I said in my intro, I've lost a regained a couple of times in the last 15-20 years and am so hoping that this is the last time. I'd love to donate everything in my closet that is too big, but there is a side of me that holds back. For one thing, I wouldn't have hardly anything in my closet! I have purchased 3 pairs of slacks in my new size along with some capris and shorts, and about 6-8 tops. The other thing is I'm afriad that I will gain the weight back and wish I still had those size 14s. My sister-in-law says I should get rid of everything because that will prevent me from back sliding because if I do I won't have anything to wear! What do you gals think?
Thanks,
Pam
Hi Pam. I agree with you sil.I gave three big trash bags of clothes that
were to big for me to a co-worker. I have three pairs of slacks for work
with about ten tops and two skirts and several sweaters. of course
3pair of jeans. I want to lose 14 more pounds . So i thought i would
wait until i get to the goal i want for myself until i buy some more things.
I have found it was a good thing for me to get rid of the fat clothes.
for me it was letting go of that person forever. lol I Hope I made
since to you. Then if you gain that will be a warning sign to lose , cause
you have no more clothes!! ha!! ha!! works for me. Have agood night
Old 11-19-2006, 07:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I heard Dr Phil say that too and I agree!
Old 11-19-2006, 07:55 PM   #9  

Thanks for the quick responses everyone! I really am leaning towards getting rid of everything. I have a nice leather lacket in an XL that wouldn't zip when I was 190. Now it hangs on me. I might try to sell that at a consignment shop, along with a few of my nicer slacks and blouses and sweaters. I agree that not having anything to wear will keep me on track if I start to gain, but as I said before, I've lost and gained before and not having anything to wear didn't stop me from eating too much. I just bought new stuff. I keep thinking too that even if I did gain back that weight several years from (and believe me I have absolutely NO intention of doing that) the stuff I have would be out of style and dated. For example, I got down to 145 about 13 years ago and had a bunch of size 10 Gap blue jeans. I saved them, and while I can fit into them now, they are not stretch like many of the jeans today are so I don't like them anymore! I saved them all these years for what? Same with some Eddie Bauer shorts. They're not stretch and are oh-so-uncomfortable, even though they firt properly. I could put my stuff in boxes, but what's the point in that? Time to do some weeding, I think...
Pam
Old 11-19-2006, 08:11 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Get rid of them!!!!! Unless, and this is a very specific unless, you intend on getting pregnant within the next year. I got rid of all my fat pants and I am 20 lbs from wearing my good pants. If you do intend to ttc, keep a very small wardrobe in those sizes. 2 pairs of jeans, 1 dress or skirt, 2 pairs of shorts - something along those lines. I have 1 pair of size ~16-18 jeans from my last pregnancy and 1 pair of ~14-16 jeans - both of which survived the purge because they were in with maternity clothes. And then nothing til size 10.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:16 PM   #11  

No more pregnancies in the cards for me, at least I hope not! I'm 45 and have two kids, 21 and 15.
Pam
Old 11-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #12  

Smile

when this happens to me, I will take great joy in getting rid of any clothes that don't fit. Like the others say it's just to easy to slide back into bigger sized clothes just for a week or so until you get rid of the xtra pounds. but then you might just keep slacking off untill they feel tight to. I would deff stick to your new clothes, and you really don't need as many clothes as you might think. Out with the old clothes, old eating habits.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #13  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Donate them! I've only kept clothes that I think I'll need during a pregnancy and they're kept up up and away! Here's to shrinking and nothing else
Old 11-19-2006, 09:39 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

I have only clothes that fit in my closet. Those that are too small (& there are plenty that are too small) are packed in boxes according to size. When I move down a size I take out the next box & donate the too big stuff. Only what fits in the closet. I find this less stressful on a daily basis when I get dressed. I've donated old clothes to the paramedic program at the local college because they need to practice cutting off/removing clothing when they are practicing & the big stuff is nice for them 'cause they will fit most people over their clothes. LOL - kind of embarassing but at least it feels like the stuff went to a good cause.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:15 PM   #15  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

I've decided mine are going to the local women's shelter. They do such fabulous work; so many of these women leave with nothing but the clothes on their backs. I may keep one pair of fat pants, just as a reminder of how far I've come and how I'll never go back.
Closed Thread