Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:30 AM   #1  
uli

S/C/G: 85kg/68kg/65kg

Height: 170cm

Default What is your goal?

Hi

What is our goal matters a lot.
Is it to lose 300 lb, 100lb or just 10lb?
In my opinion this goal sets bring painfull attitude towords dieting. Overweight is just one symptom,sign you are doing sth wrong with your body.
And everytime you think,,Ow man another 50lb and i'm there.

What about an alternative goal. How would you feel if your goal would be to improve overall health not just putting off extra pounds? Close your eyes and picture yourself what you could do in your life if you have more energy,more pysical fittness, which activities would you start. If you had more mental alertnes and could do all the things faster and eliminate depression ....Picture yourself what your life could be in 5,10,15 years from now if you had all that.What do you feel?

Now Picture yourself, your life in 5,10,15 years from now if you continue living the old way. Eating junk foods, being overweight, being depressed, feeling you have no control over your life.And picture yourself in the last moments of your life finding out you made nothing out of your life.How this makes you feel?

Two different ways our life can be. Which one will YOU choose?

Uli

My blog
https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/*************************************
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:16 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/135/?

Height: 5'2

Honest to Goodness... this is the first time in my life where I have lost a significant amount of weight and have kept it off for longer than six months, all because I DIDN'T set a goal. I know that sounds odd but hear me out. For my first two hundred attempts at weight loss I set huge goals for myself. For example.. if I started out at 180.. I would set a goal for 130 and give myself a limited amount of time to achieve it. I would get frustrated that the weight wasn't coming off quick enough and give up. I would literally sabatage myself by trying to push myself to attain that goal. When I began my last weight loss effort I told myself I wasn't going to focus on a number, or a particular weight, or even a time frame. If I lost weight one week.. GREAT.. if I didn't, well that was alright too. I began eating healthier, exercising more and after a couple of months could really tell a difference in my clothes. That's what I go by. After six months I have went from a size 14 to a size 8 and have still yet to set a goal. Whatever I am comfortable with body wise is where I'll stop and try to maintain. Everyone is different though and I realize that thousands of women have been successful by SETTING goals and reaching them. I applaud that as well.. it just doesn't work for me.
Alora199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:29 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Currently, weight loss really is a side effect of what I'm doing for myself. I eat healthy and I exercise regularly. I am very patient and even if I lose weight slowly or don't lose weight at all, I know I'm doing something to improve my health and body. The weight loss comes as a result. I think this is how I have been able to lose steadily and maintain my weight when I'm not losing.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #4  
a brave new me...

I have weight loss goals, exercise goals, and nutritional intake goals. For me these are all strong indicators of the state of my heath and since I am a numbers person it works for me. I think the point is to frame your goals in a way that makes the most sense for each unique individual. Change your perspective, change your life!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 11:53 AM   #5  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Like soujourner I have weightloss goals, exercise and Nutrition goals. I have made a choice to make myself healthy and stay healthy for the sake of my kids, my husband but most of all myself!
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 205/199/150

Height: 5'8"

I hate to say it but that number is so important to me. I don't know why. I am losing inches but it just doesnt seem to be good enough, I want pounds lost. I have exercise goals also, I try to do more than 3 times a week. I know I am making some healthier choices but for me it's all about the size and numbers. Maybe it will change.
smoochie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:41 PM   #7  

Default Wasting time and effort!!

I am so sure most of you are the same way as I am!! One week I am all about nutrition and counting and measuring stuff and then "bam" your inhaling everything in site!! Eating out!! Ordering a big ol'cheese burger and fries, mmm, good!! My goal is to stop the roller coaster ride of food!! I find myself going to the pantry or refrigerator just out of habit! That is a goal in itself to just stop doing that!! I bought a open/closed sign for my pantry!! It opens for Breakfast, lunch, dinner and a couple snacks!! Were closed!!

Shhh!! My freezer opens for the occational desert, low cal and fat free of course!!!
Dobiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:01 PM   #8  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

I never had a weight loss goal while I was losing weight, so it was a very low stress process. For me, it would have been harder to have a goal. However, I my highest weight was only 15 pounds or so into the "overweight" BMI category, and so it wasn't critical for me to lose weight quickly, and I did it over 2 years. Interestingly, maintaining is actually harder for me than losing because I pay more attention to my number weight now than I did when I was losing. I find that I think much more about my weight and how what I eat affects it than I did before...kind of paradoxical. I guess that's what feeling like I need stay at a specific number has done to me, and it's actually more stressful to maintain than to lose.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:18 PM   #9  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Currently, weight loss really is a side effect of what I'm doing for myself. I eat healthy and I exercise regularly. I am very patient and even if I lose weight slowly or don't lose weight at all, I know I'm doing something to improve my health and body. The weight loss comes as a result. I think this is how I have been able to lose steadily and maintain my weight when I'm not losing.
That's precisely the way I saw it. I had certain things I wanted to do to make myself fitter and healthier, and I had things I wanted to do with my running like doing a marathon. Training to get to that level meant that I lost a lot of weight, but I'd have been happy to be fit enough to run a marathon at whatever weight my body decided it wanted to do it at. It's just a bonus that the weight loss side of things was so successful.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 233/see ticker/133

Height: 5'3''

I want to lose wieght, so in a way it is about the #. But mostly I want to be in really good shape again. 1 time i lost weight and got in shape. It was awesome to be able to jog a couple miles, really exercise hard and know you could do things just cause you are in shape! I really want to be able to run with my kids, play baseball, soccer. That is the biggest goal!! Jelly
jellybelly06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:41 PM   #11  

Default JellybellyO6

I so understand where you are coming from!! I run a little now, short distances of course, but I would love to know what it feels like to be light on my feet literally!! We all will be there again!! I kick myself knowing what I could of done in the past year, now the year has flown by and I am no where near where I want to be, but we all must persevere and strive to be better than we were yesterday!
Old 11-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #12  
Isa from Chile

S/C/G: 181/181/132

Height: 5.4

My goal is not only to lose weight. My real goal is to keep myself eating healthy and not trow myself to eat junk food (i haven`t eat fast food in 8 months ) I also stop drinking alcohol a year ago (i didin`t have a drinking problem i just didin`t like it), and obviusly to stay in my target wight. Now i have my university graduation on novemeber 22 and i wanna look good.
ravotrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:43 AM   #13  
mostly harmless

My goal is 135 lbs or 20% body fat whichever comes first.

As I close in on the goal, I'm almost dreading reaching it, because then I'll have to start eating more again. I've been eating 1400 calories a day (more or less) for 11 months now, and I'm used to it. I'm not looking forward to upping the daily calories... but I must once I get to goal or I'll get underweight, and I don't want that.

It's so simple staying at a stable calorie level. The thought of experimenting to find a new maintenance level is kind of scary, and I'm not really looking forward to it.
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:15 PM   #14  

Talking

I don't think you will have anything to be scared of!! It sounds like that you have great discipline in keeping your calories within the 1400 mark! Go slow add little by little! Add 100 or 150 calories a day each week to make yourself comfortable with the changes!! By now you know what works with your body, you have the tools!!
Old 11-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #15  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

I dunno. I've tried doing the "I'm doing this to be healthy" thing, and it just doesn't motivate me. Mostly because aside from my weight, I'm disgustingly healthy. So health isn't even the issue to me. My issue is that I want to stop hating what I see when I look in the mirror. And while I can sort of gauge by that, it also somewhat depends on my mood. So I need the goals; the numbers, to keep me on track.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote