Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-01-2006, 07:14 PM   #1  
Stronger Than Yesterday

Default Am I Doing Something Wrong?

So I've been eating healthy since Oct. 12 and working out about 5 hours per week since Oct. 20. At first I lost a few pounds, but over the past few days I've seen my weight creep up a couple of pounds.
I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas why I would be slowing gaining again. I have maintained the healthy eating the entire time (no Halloween candy! yay! ) so I'm kind of confused as to why this would be happening.
juliebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:21 PM   #2  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default Maybe Meg or another personal trainer can help

If you are working out, it may not be uncommon to put on a couple of pounds at first. Muscle weighs more than fat.

Perhaps that is what is happening.

I've successfully avoided Halloween candy, too! I don't even really want it!

for you and for me
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:33 PM   #3  
Stronger Than Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmare View Post
I've successfully avoided Halloween candy, too! I don't even really want it!

for you and for me

Thanks! It's reassuring that my hard work hasn't gone to waste. Phew!

and... YEAH! Go us!!! No candy!!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:53 PM   #4  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

Have you been tracking the amount of food you eat? I know that I ate really healthy foods before I started this, but i ate too much of them - maybe try tracking your calories for a few days and see what you come up with.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:10 PM   #5  
Stronger Than Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra_ttw View Post
Have you been tracking the amount of food you eat? I know that I ate really healthy foods before I started this, but i ate too much of them - maybe try tracking your calories for a few days and see what you come up with.
Good idea.. I've really cut back on how much I eat but maybe I should start keeping track just to make sure I'm not going overboard. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:54 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

This is one reason why you shouldn't weigh on a daily basis. Weight can fluctuate several pounds at any given time. Your TOM, water retention, etc. can affect your weight. And yeah, beginning exercise can increase your weight. Taking measurements can be a more accurate picture of where you stand.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:00 PM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I definitely think you need to track what you eat. See Meg's post on exercising and gaining weight: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76884.

I thought I ate pretty healthy. I didn't eat fast foods and limited my desserts, I ate lean proteins (I just don't like fatty meat) and lots of veggies and fruits, but somehow managed to put on 30 pounds eating this way over the past 10 years. How much you eat is just as important as what you eat. And when I started tracking what I ate, I realized there were a lot of things I ate that I thought of as healthy but that are pretty high in calories (e.g., nuts, olive oil, whole wheat bread, whole milk yogurt, granola, etc.).

I did not lose weight until I began logging everything I eat and limiting my calories.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:05 AM   #8  
trouble

S/C/G: 240/219/160

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra_ttw View Post

ya, that's a big one..... eating too much or too little can cause some gains....

hey are you drinking sports drinks like powerade etc while you work out or just water? those things have a lot of calories, so that may be why you are gaining....

also a lot of people see exercizing as a green light to eat more, careful about falling into that trap.... you can eat a little more.... if you really want to, but if your goal is weight loss, then not really advisable to eat much more....
isthatreallyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:08 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

From Oct 12th til now is a very small slice of 'the rest of your life'. You're not doing anything wrong ... just being impatient. Over that time, you've had a loss, right? That's good.
I'm with the others that said track your food. Always a good idea.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote