Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-01-2006, 01:13 PM   #1  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Default Halloween Candy

I didn't buy any halloween candy until yesterday so I wasn't tempted. But I forgot about after halloween! We took our kids up and down 2 blocks, 2BLOCKS and OMG together they have a HEAPING bowl Full of candy and to top it off I only had 1 trick or treater again last night. I have 2 bags and one bowl full of the candy that I bought last night. HMPH Now it is going to be a month that I have this stuff in my house. I am going to send the stuff I bought with my husband to work, and I am going to let my kids go at it. But they are 3 and 1 so I do have to limit it to a point. But the bowl is calling my name......
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:21 PM   #2  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

We had a lot left over too. But I learned a trick a longggggggg time ago. When buying Halloween candy, buy stuff that YOU DON'T LIKE. That way, if there's left overs, you won't care!

Also, after Halloween, you can throw it out without remorse. After all, it's only once per year; no feeling guilty over throwing something out just one time per year, eh?
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

how about taking it to a food bank (the leftover candy)
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I bought the stuff I didn't like (3 Musketeers, Milky Ways and Almond Joys). I would have a hard time resisting candy I liked. I would:

1. Make sure it is out of sight (if I can't see it, I tend to forget about it). A good place for me would be locked in the trunk of the car.
2. Give it to your husband to take to work immediately - little kids don't need candy either!
3. Throw it away.

I definitely wouldn't keep it in the house, I don't do moderation well and I looove chocolate.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:39 PM   #5  
Calorie Counter

Well I found a solution (sort of) It will still be in my house but my sister wants to have my nephews b-day party here (because it is the biggest neutral house, my parents are divorced and she lives with my dad). So I will either put the candy in goody bags or put it out on the table for the kids to eat. Plus if I have left over from that it will go in the stockings of my neices and nephews. If I have plans for it like that I know I won't eat it! (especially if I send it to my sisters house!!)
Old 11-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #6  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I have a lot of people where I work - a lot of food always around. Plus, we do birthday cakes once a month for all the people having a birthday in that month.

The only way I can stop myself from going overboard with all the goodies at work is to have a bite. So if my favorite candy is around, like it is today, due to so many people bringing in their "leftovers" - I'll have ONE. JUST ONE. I don't get crazy with it because I feel ashamed if people see me grab more than one! - but if all that candy were at home... I'd eat it til it was gone!

Which is why I buy the kind of stuff I don't like. This year, we had plenty of "peanut butter kisses" - those are the chewy little peanut butter tasting candies. ICK.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:15 PM   #7  
Soon2BFit

S/C/G: 246.2/See Ticker/145

I think taking the leftover Halloween candy to a food bank is a great idea. There are also shelters for women and children where the candy would be appreciated.
GR8 2B48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:37 PM   #8  
Shannon

S/C/G: 228/178/135

Height: 5'3"

I feel ya! I don't have this problem yet because my kids are too young for candy (5 months and almost 3 years old), but I'm dreading NEXT years Halloween! My husband works in an office, so we're thinking next year we'll give my (then) almost 4 year old one or two candies and then have my husband put the rest in a bowl on his desk for all passerbyers to snack on.
mtp_and_hmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:41 PM   #9  
Shannon

S/C/G: 228/178/135

I forgot to mention that a good alternative to normal trick-or-treating is to find a Safe Halloween in a town near you. We went to my husbands home town 30 minutes away for a Safe Halloween for 3-8 year olds. The kids got to trick-or-treat down the business street and the shop owners handed out healthy treats. No temptation for me this year!
mtp_and_hmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #10  
Calorie Counter

I don't mind if my kids have chocolate, but they cant do the hard candies which is what the businesses around here hand out. I switch out Tommy's with teddy grahms or cookies things that he can eat. I didn't expect the amount of candy we got. Like I said we only went down two blocks! DH his taking alot of the candy with him to work, but he won't take it down today until after his lunch break!
Old 11-01-2006, 03:41 PM   #11  
a brave new me...

I made it very simple this year. No candy. Door locked. Lights out. No problem!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:15 PM   #12  

Smile

I probably sound like ba hum bug, but i don't buy lollies for halloween.
I don't like to give rubbish to kids to eat. I wish that halloween could move away from sweets and maybe into dances or something else that kids could enjoy. With all the over weight kids these days, I would rather they saw happiness and fun coming from doing some thing in stead of eating some thing. my boys do get rubbish food (lollies , ice cream and biscuits ) but I've cut it down heaps. Sorry if I sound like a party pooper.
kiwichic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #13  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

If you sound like a party pooper, I'm right there with you, Kiwi. I hate that holidays are so food-centric, and I would much rather see kids doing fun activities rather than just collecting candy.

Halloween was always about the scary things and dressing-up for me, though. Not that I didn't EAT the candy I got, mind you, but I think a lot of kids would be just as happy having parties with costume contests, etc. as going trick-or-treating. At least I hope so!
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:41 PM   #14  

I tried to get the school to have a disco so that the kids could dress up and have fun. but the shcool isn't interested.
kiwichic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:48 PM   #15  
Stinger

S/C/G: 0/0/0

Height: 5'5

I bought Sugar Free candy. At least I felt like I could have something. I got the toffee so it would get stuck in my teeth and take a long time to chew.
TwoPeasInAPod
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote