Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-23-2006, 01:52 PM   #1  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Question Cold when cutting calories?

Whenever I stick to my calorie limits for the day, I find I feel chilly more easily, and my hands get absolutely icy! However, when I have a treat meal or go off plan I'm just normal. I live in New England and yes, we've definitely seen the temperature drop in recent weeks. But this fluctuates independent of the weather.

Does this happen to anyone else? My only solution so far is a hot cup of tea, which works, but very temporarily.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:57 PM   #2  
rethinking myself...

S/C/G: 276/256/175

Height: 5' 11"

The last time I lost weight, I was ALWAYS cold. I didn't notice the correlation with calorie intake, though. I just thought it was from losing my insulating layer of body fat.

I look forward to being cold again. It's easier to put on layers than take them off, especially if you are self conscious anyway!
kittymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:05 PM   #3  
LLV

I can't tolerate the cold very well anymore. Used to be I could walk outside in the middle of winter without a coat on and it wouldn't bother me. Now when it gets below 60 outside, I've got on a sweatshirt and big thick socks.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:00 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I can no longer tolerate the cold and I just thought it was because I don't have all my "insulation" anymore. It's 70 degrees here today and I'm comfortable in a sweatshirt and jeans. I used to never wear a coat, could make it the whole winter with maybe a sweater if it was below freezing. My entire family used to complain that I froze them by keeping the heater set on 60 degrees. I haven't noticed any correlation with being colder when my food/calorie level is lower.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
I can no longer tolerate the cold and I just thought it was because I don't have all my "insulation" anymore. It's 70 degrees here today and I'm comfortable in a sweatshirt and jeans. I used to never wear a coat, could make it the whole winter with maybe a sweater if it was below freezing. My entire family used to complain that I froze them by keeping the heater set on 60 degrees.
Same here!

Now, even at my desk, I've got a mini space heater on most of the time. It's on right now, in fact.

I didn't used to wear a coat either. People I know would say, "Girl, where's your coat!"

I would be like, "Oh shut up and leave me alone," lol.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I only feel really cold when I don't have my traditional glass (or 2) of wine in the evening. My DH thinks I'm crazy. I'll be 80 degrees outside, a little cooler inside with the evaporative cooler going, and I'm wrapped up in an afghan to stay warm.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:41 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 176/129/129

Height: 5' 6.5"

For me there is definitely a one-to-one correlation between calorie intake and how cold I feel. With my usual reduced caloric intake I always cold, and colder than everyone else. When I up my intake, and especially if I overeat, I warm right up.
SlimLindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:52 PM   #8  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV View Post
I can't tolerate the cold very well anymore. Used to be I could walk outside in the middle of winter without a coat on and it wouldn't bother me. Now when it gets below 60 outside, I've got on a sweatshirt and big thick socks.
That happens to me too- not only do I have to wear mohair socks, I have to wear leggings under sweats at around 65 degree room temp! My knees, shins and all the distal skeletal bones hurt if I don't.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

Interesting...I always thought of it as a weight loss consequence and hadn't considered the idea that a low calorie diet in itself could have an effect. I guess it makes sense, though.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:58 PM   #10  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

This is my first winter to have lost a lot of weight and I can see that I will be freezing all winter long. I think it's due to the weight loss because I'm still cold on days that I've cheated.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:34 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 150/113/115

Height: 5'4"

Yes, 3beans, that definitely happens to me too. I thought I was just imagining it.

My hands and feet tend to get icy cold when I'm being very good and staying on plan. But when I cheat and/or slip into a binge the cold feeling goes away within a few hours after I've eaten the "bad" stuff and I feel warm again.

Wierd, huh?
BattlingTheBulge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:49 PM   #12  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Cool

I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one! The hard part is not using that to justify going off plan. Gotta keep a sweater handy!
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:21 PM   #13  

Height: 5' 1.5"

I think it's directly related to the caloric intake. Yes, to some degree, you're losing the "insulating" layer...so you may be less tolerant of the cold in general. But, if you notice this happening only on days you're dieting, you may be cutting your calories TOO much. Think about it - your metabolism requires the burning of energy (think about when you exercise - you get hot b/c of the exothermic chemical reactions taking place in your body). When your body isn't getting enough to maintain this level, as in starvation mode or under-feeding, it decreases circulation to areas that aren't as important - your hands, toes, and nose! The body tries to protect the functional organs first and gets rid of trying to help the rest! This isn't to say to give up on losing weight - it is a natural consequence; however, you may consider slowing down the process by eating a little more...or going for a brisk walk to get your circulation going!
mandagemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:45 PM   #14  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

When I start getting cold like that I take it as a sign that my metabolism is starting to slow down and try to do things (like exercise) to speed it back up.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:50 PM   #15  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

i remember being able to tolerate the cold better when I was bigger too. I freeze to DEATH now.. its ridiculous. 58 degrees is too cold for me. Of course, i AM a carolina girl hehe.. when 30's hit, I hibernate
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote