3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   How to stay positive? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/95864-how-stay-positive.html)

jelynn 10-12-2006 06:21 PM

How to stay positive?

I've been feeling pretty great and I'm on a good roll having lost about 12 lbs in the past month or so. I've got a good routine and feel like I'm in this for the long haul.
Last night I had my son take some progress pics (backside and it *wasn't* pretty, lol) and I got soooo depressed when I saw them. I know it's a good reality check because honestly I don't feel like I'm that fat! But no denying it, I am.
Anyway- just needed to vent a bit. I have had a good day today so it's not like I'm throwing in the towel- but am still feeling down about it.

Glory87 10-12-2006 06:27 PM

Just make it something you do, everyday. Sometimes you're going to feel fat, some weeks the scale isn't going to move, some days family/friends aren't going to be supportive, some meals you will get sick of grilled chicken and steamed veggies. For me, the hardest part of weight loss was sticking with it past the "honeymoon" phase. I was always so excited to start a new plan, so full of optimism! This time I will really do it! Plans and measurements, weekly weigh ins and grocery trips, tons of exercises and excel spread sheets. That kind of motivation lasts 2 weeks for me, 1 month tops. The hardest thing I ever did was keep working at it even when I didn't feel positive or motivated.

I kept telling myself "I don't eat that anymore." I kept telling myself "I pack my lunch everyday." I kept telling myself "I exercise 5 times a week." Whatever I felt, happy, sad, fat, thin, depressed, motivated...that didn't matter.

Good luck!

callystia 10-12-2006 06:29 PM

I know it's tough. But the pounds didn't go on overnight; they'll take a while to come back off, and meanwhile you're learning a whole new way of life! You need time to establish healthy eating and exercise habits. If you lost the weight too quickly, chances are it would come back. Please try to keep in mind that your health is the important that.

Oh, and keep coming here! This site is a priceless resource for me. Good luck!

redlight 10-12-2006 08:25 PM

12 lbs in a month is great progress. I bet you are seeing other changes as well. Have patience and just keep doing what you are doing.

TamiL 10-13-2006 07:54 AM

12 pounds is wonderful!!! I was able to lose like that for the first few months and then it dropped off to 4 or 5 pounds a month.....this is when motivation gets a little rough! I know you didn't like the pictures your son took, but please hang onto them! When you compare them in a few months you will be amazed! I just wish I had taken pictures of myself before I got serious about losing weight. I know I have lost over 53 pounds now, but sometimes I can't tell because I was in denial about how I looked and didn't take those darned before pics.
Motivation.......thats easy, when you go shopping and fit into a smaller size every month or so!! There is no feeling like that.

Sunnigummi 10-13-2006 08:59 AM

I feel the same way as you!!! I've been depressed lately and I was thinking of posting a similar post! It's taken me almost 6 mos to lose my 12 lbs but that's because I wasn't allll that diligent about it in the beginning. Still, I'm starting to lose motivation and I'm getting tired of getting up at 5:30 to make it to the gym on time and work all day only to go home, cook dinner, maybe do laundry, clean up the kitchen, take a shower, work on grading/writing my thesis and sleep. I just feel worn out!! I also feel bloated and since it's not nearly TOM yet, I'm feeling like a flabby tub of goo. Sigh. I wish it was easier for me to eat veggies all the time every day. :(

jelynn 10-13-2006 03:51 PM

Thanks for all the support :)

Heather 10-14-2006 01:51 PM

I've been at this over a year and know what you all mean about enthusiasm coming and going. I remember taking my first progress pics after I'd lost about 12 pounds (couldn't face taking them before that)... I was really pleased with my progress but GOODNESS, I was not happy about those pics. Now, however, I'm really glad I took them, as I can really see progress!!

As for the "routine" -- I try to cook a lot on the weekends so that during the week I don't have to go to the gym AND cook AND work etc... Keep trying different things to make the routine work for YOU. As for those veggies, I put them in all the food I cook so it's less work to get them in!