Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 05:57 PM   #16  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

I've noticed in reading posts on this site for a long while that it's hard to predict what size a person will wear based solely on their weight, or even their weight and height together. I am 5'4" and weigh 191 lbs and wear a Size 18W pants and Large/Size 16 top.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #17  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

We are all built so different that its impossible to guage what size you will be. I wore about a 16 in pants and an 18 in shirts at 191.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:43 AM   #18  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm having the same problem. Yesterday I actually went shopping. I was so confused, I dropped at least 2 sizes but of course I need to drop lots more. The smaller clothing looks so much better then my current clothing, but I just couldn't spend the money. I did buy one skirt which is a bit snug and fairly inexpensive. After thinking it over I think I'm gonna go shopping again next week and buy 2 shirts, that are hopefully on sale. I guess it's just all part of the process, but I know for myself I have to like what I look like to keep myself going. In fact when I got home from shopping, I practically emptied out my closet and filled up a big trash bag with stuff that no longer fits me and I am going to give it away to charity. I hope, no I know I didn't make a mistake by getting rid of them so quickly. It felt really good to get rid of them. We shall see.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:02 AM   #19  
Addicted to potato salad!

Well, at the moment, I'm not having that problem...losing too fast. I did have that problem when I GAINED, though. I went from a size 6 to a 16 in about a year and a half. I have always been a size 6 until I went through a VERY stressful time and gained 50 lbs. I'm only 5'2" and that weight makes the sizes go up FAST on a short-waisted frame. I sold my size 10 and 12 clothes...many with the tags on them...on eBay, hoping to have Murphy's Law happen and that I'd need them again someday. I went through that size so fast, I didn't have time to wear all the clothes I'm in a 14 at the moment and working on 12. I have 2 pairs of 14 jeans and they both have GAPING holes in the jeans. I refuse to buy more 14's though, I'm waiting till I can wear 12's comfortably. I'm stuck at my current weight, so I'm using a small shopping spree as my motivator to get rid of 10 pounds or so.

To answer your question...I plan to buy maybe 2 pairs of jeans when I get into them. Shirts can be baggy, so I'll wait till I lose some serious weight or until they just look dumpy on me. But, a good place to look is eBay. You can sell your old stuff there and use the money you make selling to buy new-to-you things in your current size. I always look for 'A LOT' of clothes in a certain size. For instance, if you are looking for clothes in size 14, type in the search box... Ladies size 14 LOT ....and you will see all the auctions for clothes in your size. Lots are nice because you can buy a big chunk of clothes...most will be nice, some will be 'work around the house' clothes...but if you take good care of them, you can turn around and sell them when you get too small for them! I sold my size 10's and 12's to a woman in Australia for $80! She paid the shipping, which was an additional $80. I then used that money to buy my kids some clothes on eBay...which is a great place to buy clothes for rapidly-growing kids...especially play clothes.

Good luck!!
Old 10-11-2006, 10:23 AM   #20  
hara hachi bu

I'm with everyone else - thrift stores, and tailors for those favorite pieces. It's also quite easy to take in some simple shirts, if you have a sewing machine.

I haven't shopped thrift stores for years, but when I started losing weight quick enough to be frustrated that my new jeans don't fit after 2 months, I went thrift. I'm a convert now! Lots of cool stuff there.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:17 PM   #21  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I am 5'7 so at 195 I wore a size 14 in pants and a 1X in tops.

I don't work outside the home and wear mostly jeans and t-shirts. Last night I bought 9 long sleeved shirts at walmart and only spent $82.00. It's started to get cooler here and I didn't have any shirts from last winter that would fit me now.

Last edited by lilybelle; 10-11-2006 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:29 PM   #22  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

These are all great ideas ladies! I know it is hard to figure what someone will weigh when the time comes. I am getting so excited about x~mas cause I just know I am on the losing track! Before when i wasn't losing that month and wanted to get to 200 by x~mas it felt like, uggghhh only a few months, how am I going to do this? lol Now that I am counting cals I feel in control again and can't wait! haha

That is good for you fed up! Make sure you save something so you can show how skinny you are later! You know, "the big pants". Now I know I usually try to get stretchy stuff for pants cause they do last longer but I insist on trying to wear everything tight! Cause if I feel "frumpy" I feel fat and am more prone to get depressed and overeat! I think I will hit the thrift stores in Dec. and maybe get a few things that aren't too much from walmart. Have to keep myself motivated! I can't wait to get some cute matching panty and bra sets!

Good on you lily! You deserve it!! Phantastica, don't be frustrated! Be excited!!

Techwife you can turn that around1 Keep it going!!
Old 10-12-2006, 08:44 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Here is what I have done:

~I sell too large items (if they are nice, name brand like Gap, Old Navy, Lane Bryant, etc.) on eBay. I then use the money in my Paypal account to buy an item or two in a smaller size.

~I shop CLEARANCE racks at stores. You can often get a new top at Wal-Mart or Target on clearance for $5 or $7...

~I buy things that are very basic that can mix and match easily in what size you need now: a basic pair of jeans, a pair of black pants, a white or black t-shirt or blouse...you can have 5-6 items that if they can mix and match-can create a lot of different outfits. Spend the "money" on accessories that will fit over the long haul-such as a great pair of shoes, a great necklace, or a nice colorful purse-or a great new haircut. A simple pair of jeans and a black top look very hip if you have a great bag, or a great new cut & color to go with it.

~Shop Goodwill and garage sales. I check garage sale ads and see which ones have the items I want...I have gotten great items from Goodwill as well-Old Navy, Gap, Abercrombie and Fitch, Nike, Reebok, Lands End...you just have to "dig" a little.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #24  
the blond one

S/C/G: 198/126.4/121

Height: 5' 1.5"

Resale shops. I love finding great clothes at bargain prices. Plus I took a bunch of stuff there and made over $400.00. Makes me wish I hadn't give away as much clothing as I did to friends and goodwill.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:12 PM   #25  
the blond one

S/C/G: 198/126.4/121

Height: 5' 1.5"

I'm 5' 2" and in the 190s I was a tight 16 and a size 14 in the low 170s.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:11 PM   #26  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

I'm 5'7" and 192, wearing a 1x in tops (but I've always worn L/XL in shirts because I have massive tits, heh. 36-38F) and somewhere between a 14 and 16 long in jeans - the 16 requires a belt, and the 14 is just a bit snug.

I just went Goodwilling this morning. Got a pair of jeans to tide me over (my current ones are the only ones I'm comfortable in), a belt, and two long-sleeved shirts for wintertime, for $10. I love Goodwill!
Old 10-14-2006, 12:04 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 236/207/175

Height: 6ft

i have been slowly phasing down .. i wore my clothes as long as possible until they just got to the point of lookin horrible on me ..then i went and would replace that 1 pair of jeans .. so it was kind of reward payment .. i would give away the big pair and replace it with the smaller .. this kind of works easily for me cause I can wear jeans at work .. so i get alot of wear out of them . but in the last 2 and half months I have bought 3 pairs of jeans .. also I dug in my closet ..wayyyyyyy in the back ..and found the jeans i grew out of .... and now they fit .. along with a few other items i just couldnt' part with .. that one pair of jeans .. i have been holdin onto for 10 years..they look brand new .. but i just couldn't give up .. was like ok .. one day i am gettin back in em! and I have
Old 10-15-2006, 09:42 AM   #28  

I still have clothing I was wearing when I was a size 12-14, I think I've held on to them with the hope I would get back into them. So I'll be okay until I get smaller than that. Currently, I'm in between a size 16-18. I joined WW with one of my friends, she's in a size 14-16 now, so as she loses, I've been giving her my clothes that I've saved and she's been giving me the clothes that are getting too big. It's worked out quite nicely.

My aunt recently hit the 50 lb. weight loss mark on WW as well, she highly recommends thrift shops as well. There is no point in purchasing new clothes that are going to be too big for you in a matter of months.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:57 AM   #29  
Meg

Don't forget to beg clothes from friends and family! Almost everyone has several sizes of clothes in their closet and might be happy to share.

I lost a size every month or so and didn't want to spend any money till I got to goal, so made do with very few outfits. There was a time when my closet was so empty that it echoed! I mostly lived in gym clothes since I spent so much time there and had one skirt and two nice pairs of pants for everything else.

Sizes are tough to predict because I consistently lost from the head down, but it's probably different for others depending on what your problem spot is. For a time I was the oddest shaped person ever, wearing a 'small' in tops but a 10 in pants when I had lost 90 pounds, with 32 still to go. Fortunately, the last 20 pounds came 100% off my lower body and it all evened out.

The BEST part is buying a whole new wardrobe once you reach goal!! The only thing that still fit was socks - even my shoes were too big.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:45 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 150/113/115

Height: 5'4"

I'm doing about the same thing as Meg did. I have a very limited wardrobe. We're talking one pair of jeans and one nice jogging suit that I can wear (and get away with) while out in public. I'm still wearing my old baggy t-shirts and sweatshirts with my jeans.

Once I hit my goal I'm high-tailing it to the mall to buy a new wardrobe. Hubby has already agreed that I can spend as much money as I want on clothes when my weight and body shape have finally evened out. Yippeee!!! I don't even have to spend my own money. Can't beat that!

In the meantime, I'm off to exercise, shower, and get into my same-ole, same-ole pair of levis and same-ole, same-ole sweatshirt. Soon, I keep telling myself, soon I'll be smelling the smell and feeling the feel of new clothes! Ahhhhhhh!
Closed Thread