One simple step to better self-esteem

• I found something that actually really works on your self-esteem, and that is talking good about yourself. Each morning when I wake up I say something good about myself like "you are beautiful." Now that this has turned into a habit and from saying this over and over again I SEE myself as beautiful every time I look in the mirror. A year ago I wouldn't have been able to tell you this. My self-esteem was rock bottom and I thought I was u-g-l-y, but one day I was told by a friend to start saying good things about myself. Immediately that next morning upon opening my eyes I started saying good things instead of "ugh, I don't want to get out of bed." I turned those negative thoughts around into positive thoughts. As a result, my day went a lot smoother, and I was starting to believe those good things I was saying about myself. I recommend that you give it a shot. It may take a little time but let it turn into a habit and see how things change in your life.

Update: I was just thinking, right here after you read this go ahead and type something good about yourself.

Here's mine: I am smart and beautiful

Christina
  • I used to do something like this. I hated looking at myself in the mirror so I would tell myself 'When you look in the mirror you will see the most beautiful woman in the world!' This would make me laugh so when I'd look I'd see a happy me. Happy me looks much better than sad me so over time I felt better about myself.

Works!
  • I am an intelligent, determined woman on her way to a gorgeous body of vibrantly good health. I will look better at 50 than I did yesterday.
  • Yep. That's exactly why I changed my avatar! I remember this song from the 60's called "The Girl From Ipanema" that to me sounded SO sophisticated and swingey.

Now when I take a look at myself [some 40 years later!], I sing "Tall and tan and young and lovely, the girl from Ipanema goes a-walkin'...."--it TOTALLY cracks me up and I go off feeling "swingey" again!

Ipa
  • I've also found positive affirmations in many areas of my life. Especially when I make an effort to make them a habit.

I definitely recommend them.
  • do you get the voices coming back at you, saying "no you aren't"?
  • Oh, you mean "The Committee"? Sure, whenever they say "No you aren't" , I just keep singing the rest of the Ipanema song:

"Each day when she walks to the sea,
    She looks straight ahead--not at me!!!"

And keep on walkin'!

Ipa