Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-01-2006, 12:53 PM   #16  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberKay View Post
hm...I want to say 8. But that makes me nervous. Actually, I think I was a size 8 at 150 lbs, so if I do lose the 30-odd I'll still have to get it taken it in. hum hum hum....I wonder if I'm being overly optomistic here?
For starters I don't want to burst your bubble but I think you are being too optomistic. Losing 30 pounds in 2 months is very unlikely and not to mention unhealthy - that is about 3 pounds a week. I would be aiming more for 1.5-2 (at most). And don't forget, the closer you get to goal the harder it is for you to lose.

Also, just because you were a size 8 at 150 pounds before doesn't mean you will be again. I am the same weight I was when I went to prom, and wearing more or less the same size clothes... I went to try on my prom dress and it was a no go - I could hardly get it zipped half way.

I say go for the size you are now, better safe then sorry.

Good luck.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 185/165/120

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm sure my body's changed a LOT since I was an 8!

Minor correction...I have 3 months to lose 30 lbs, not 2. So that's about 2 lbs a week. And I would be perfectly happy losing 20 lbs. I just don't want to look the way I look right now at the wedding.

Oh, and I've been noticing that you're dropping some lbs! Good job!
AmberKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 06:20 PM   #18  
Starting Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberKay View Post
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm sure my body's changed a LOT since I was an 8!

Minor correction...I have 3 months to lose 30 lbs, not 2. So that's about 2 lbs a week. And I would be perfectly happy losing 20 lbs. I just don't want to look the way I look right now at the wedding.

Oh, and I've been noticing that you're dropping some lbs! Good job!
Sorry your right 3 months... BUT during the last two weeks of december do you plan on stay on track? haha.. I dont... BRING ON THE TURKEY AND STUFFING!! lol - good luck
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 10:56 PM   #19  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Not only the last two weeks of December, but don't forget that Thanksgiving turkey in there too. Why create stress? Buy a dress that fits. If you lose, great, take it in. If you don't, you're not stressed. The wedding will be stressful enough.

About the difference in sizes...I'm wearing mostly 10s now at 145 lbs. and 5' 4" I can wear a couple size 8s. A lot of it also depends on how they're made. This dress may be sized differently than your normal clothes.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 12:51 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 185/165/120

oooo, I hate thanksgiving and christmas food!!! Not kidding! I actually lose weight during the holidays (except new years, but that's a different story...hehe)

almostheaven-I know the dresses are sized differently than my normal ones. I've been sized at the same chain she's buying the dresses from. A 12 would be a bit too big on me and a 10 would be a big tight...I'm in between the two.
AmberKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:54 PM   #21  
the blond one

S/C/G: 198/126.4/121

Height: 5' 1.5"

Bridesmaid dresses are made small. I normally wear a 6 at 128 (same height) and my dress (last weekend) was an 8. It's easier to alter down than to let it out. The smallest I'd go with would be an 8.
start8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #22  
It's working this time!

S/C/G: 235/212/175

Height: 5' 1.5"

Question

Is there any way that she could FedEx the dress to you about a month before the wedding, and you could have it altered when the time is right, then take it with you when you go to the wedding? If you're going to need it taken in, 4 days doesn't give you much time... especially since it's around the Holidays and everything is always busier/takes more time around x-mas.

Tisha___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:58 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by freiamaya View Post
A dress is easy to take in, but almost impossible to let out. Each dress fits differently. AND, the best laid plans may not come to be. Go with something SNUG but acceptable now, and relax!
Congrats on your weight loss!
Tell me about it!! My friend was getting married, I got fitted for the dress, and voila! I got pregnant. I didn't worry--at first, but then 5 months went by and I was showing when the ceremony took place. Thankfully, the dress was able to be let out a wee bit so that I could WEAR it, but I couldn't SIT DOWN in it. I had to discreetly hike the dress up past my hips so I could sit down. Not fun but definately funny now that we look back at it!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 07:53 PM   #24  
*confetti*

S/C/G: 270.9/176.1/165

Height: 5'6"

I would get the size that fits you now. Even if you stay 100% on plan, that doesn't always mean that you will lose weight. There's always the possiblity that you might hit a plateau.

Worst case scenario with a larger dress is that it will have to be altered if you lose enough weight. No biggie.
Zorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 05:51 AM   #25  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tisha___ View Post
Is there any way that she could FedEx the dress to you about a month before the wedding, and you could have it altered when the time is right, then take it with you when you go to the wedding? If you're going to need it taken in, 4 days doesn't give you much time... especially since it's around the Holidays and everything is always busier/takes more time around x-mas.
I completely agree--4 days for alterations (other than maybe a quick hem) is rarely enough time if you go to a busy seamstress. We just got our dresses from David's Bridal in the spring, and you can order the dresses all together at any David's Bridal (to ensure color sameness by being of the same dye lot) and have the individual dresses sent to the individual party members (I don't remember if they send them directly to your home or to a David's Bridal location closer to you--but either way, it would give you more than 4 days for tailoring!).

I typically wear a size 22 and had to order my maid-of-honor dress in a size 24, and it was STILL really tight. Just because they already measured you means NOTHING--different styles of dresses can fit very differently. I would go to David's Bridal and try on the dress in whatever size you need now to ensure that your measurements taken by the associate actually match up with the size of dress you need.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote