Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-28-2006, 05:06 PM   #1  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Default Friends that are trying to lose

How would you ladies respond to this:

A friend of mine noticed I have lost some weight. She asked me how.

I said thankyou, I watch my calories closely, and I exercise for at least 35 minutes per day.

She said "no really how did you do it? What kind of diet pill did you use."

I told her "no diet pills, just good old fashioned calorie counting and exercise."

She said "I can't believe you won't tell me what kind of diet pills you used, are you on drugs then??"

I didn't know what to say so I left.

[sorry I just realized the topic didn't exactly match what I wrote I left out that my friend has been yo yo dieting for the last 10 years and is always looking for the fast way]
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #2  
I restore Teeth.

WOW. I wouldn't take that as a compliment then! If she's assuming that I did drugs or used some sort of pill to CHEAT then she really doesn't respect me much!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:13 PM   #3  
No description available.

Maybe you could refer her to 3FC. Reading the success stories, which have the same themes over and over, will help her see that there is a healthy way to lose weight.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:13 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/191/150

It is funny; some people believe there is a magic pill/diet that will allow them to wake up skinny in like a week. If there is any thing that I have learned so far is that if you want results you must work for them.

My loss has been slow but it has been a loss none the less. I am not only shrinking the number on the scale but I am building a physique that I lost after high school. I did not realize how much I let myself go until I tried to get it back.

I would have done the same in your shoes!
Nicklewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcatron243 View Post
I didn't know what to say so I left.
I think I would have done that also. What, she doesn't think you have the ability to do it on your own? (You obviously do have what it takes!!!)
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:44 PM   #6  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Unfortunately, all of my co-workers and friends are looking for "quick-fixes" to lose weight as well. Very few people are determined to do it the only way that works, through hard work. People don't understand when I say, I don't diet. They say, but if you are losing weight and eating less, you are dieting. I told them I am doing the calories in vs. calories out method. And it's the quality of foods I eat. Then they ask what kind of foods I'm allowed to eat. When I say, any foods I want. They get visibly frustrated and basically lose interest. Oh well. Perhaps I need to take a Dale Carnegie class or something. Or it could just be a case of people not hearing what they want to hear.

Hang in there. Be complimented. Maybe someday they'll listen.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:41 PM   #7  

OMG! A relative saw mw for the first time in a while, and said, "I need to go to your clinic." I said "What?" kinda confused. (I go to LAWL.) She then asked, "Can I take what you take?" I explained that they just tell me how much of each type of food to eat, that I didn't take anything. She became immediately uninterested.
hourglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:22 PM   #8  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hourglass View Post
OMG! A relative saw mw for the first time in a while, and said, "I need to go to your clinic." I said "What?" kinda confused. (I go to LAWL.) She then asked, "Can I take what you take?" I explained that they just tell me how much of each type of food to eat, that I didn't take anything. She became immediately uninterested.
LOL. Why does that never surprise me? People can't seem to grasp that hard work is better rewarded. A pill can't possibly do much for you the long run, whereas exercise and healthy foods can actually improve your health!!!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:04 PM   #9  
plucky clucky

S/C/G: 228/228/130 or less

Height: 5" 5'

Ah but wouldn't it be nice if they made healthy weight and exercise in a bottle, although if they did it would probably be the size of a shoe and taste like litter box leftovers.
Bravelilchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:40 AM   #10  
Calorie Counter

It's so crazy. She has since apologized to me and told me she new that I would take any drugs, but most people even when they are exercising and watching what they eat are taking something to get an edge.

I Showed her my weight loss journal it is broken up it to:
Water, Eats, Exercise, Daily goal. I write down how much water and exercise and how many calories I eat each day. I told her about 3fc, and Fitday. I explained every detail of my diet including how much I lose a week. And the thing she was stuck was "only 1-2 pounds per week" Well she will hit her Ah Ha moment and when she does I will be here to give her advice on staying with it.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:52 AM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

jcatron, I am glad that you had your chance to explain it all to her. Maybe it will sink in some day.
I have 3 doctors, one of them is the one that started me on my Wt. loss journey with his rude comments. Another one accused me of using diet pills and the 3rd one asked me if I had had weight loss surgery. Even to these doctors, it is incredulous that someone could actually eat right and exercise and take off the weight. The first doctor is very proud of me now and knows that I did this all myself, thanks to him for letting me know that I was "killing myself".
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 11:56 AM   #12  
Calorie Counter

I guess I probably wouldn't have believed it either if I wasn't doing it this way. Thanks to 3fc, because after going through the forums here I decided to start calorie counting. I am so glad it is working.
Old 09-29-2006, 12:33 PM   #13  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 207.5/179/140

Height: 5'6

I have had similar things said to me and although I understand why they are assuming that it is still annoying. I think in this day and age there are so many convient ways to do things nobody ever stops to think that some things just get done the old fashioned way. It is a real shame though that she would continue to question you especially since you as I know have had to work very hard to get your succses. If it happens again I would respond to her that you don't appreciate her comments and that they are very hurtful since you are being honest and doing this the healthy way. Good luck and don't ever let anyone though get you down about your hard work and dedication because in the end you know how you did it and that is really all that matters. Have a good day!
Tina30 is offline   Reply With Quote