Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-26-2006, 11:42 AM   #1  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Default To be Or Not to be...

To be or not to be... A VEGETARIAN! That is the question...

I'm the biggest animal lover on the planet, yet I still eat meat. Ham, turkey, chicken, shrimp, etc. I love meat. It's good protein. So many different dishes you can have. And by-products like eggs & cheese - LOVE IT!

BUT I LOVE ANIMALS! I cannot stand to see animals abused, neglected, etc.

Is there a way for people like me to go on living?!?!? I've considered becoming a vegetarian sooooo many times, but I just can't seem to "go there."

I don't even know what else to say.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:51 AM   #2  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Buy organic meat, farm-reared stuff that you know has been well looked after when it was alive.

If no-one ate cows, sheep, pigs etc they wouldn't be here! They are farmed purely for our tables.
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:57 AM   #3  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated View Post
Buy organic meat, farm-reared stuff that you know has been well looked after when it was alive.

If no-one ate cows, sheep, pigs etc they wouldn't be here! They are farmed purely for our tables.
Yes... but OMG! Isn't that SAD??? I mean, to "live" to "exist" just to become FOOD on someone's table, and let's face it - we don't HAVE to eat meat to survive. Plenty of vegans walking around can attest to that. I'm just so torn.

I can eat a good meat-based meal and enjoy it thoroughly - as long as I don't THINK ABOUT that "yummy thing" used to walk around breathing, seeing with it's eyes, hearing with it's ears, etc. Once that thought enters my mind, I get sick to my stomach & just CAN'T eat it.

I'm hopeless.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:24 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

If you are really serious about giving up eating meat for ethical reasons, are you willing to give up all animal products? Like leather shoes?

I think the meat industry is horrible and limit my consumption of meat for that reason. I just can't give up leather though

I have no problems being happy and satisfied with vegetarian meals. I am also unwilling to completely give up dairy, so I know I could never be a vegan.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 12:34 PM   #5  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

I agree with 2frustrated, if you buy organic meat, it will be healthier, more humanely treated, and its more expenisive, so maybe you will start eating less of it. Try eliminating meat slowly, if you eat it twice a day now go to once a day for a while, then a couple times a week...and during this time, try some meat alternatives.
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:10 PM   #6  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

You know, we're existing only to become some bacteria/fungi's fodder. That's how we decompose. Something else eats us. Vultures would eat us too if they were allowed to circle us while we starved or however they prey. Think about eagles and their prey (mostly small animals such as mice, rats and the like). They're not merciful when they kill their food, but they do it because they need it to survive. I agree with glory, that the meat industry is cruel and negligent to the animals and their employees for the most part. I don't eat red meat due to religious reasons but even if I did, I wouldn't knowing the sort of behavior that takes place in those factories. However, I love my chicken, eggs and cheese too! I tried being vegetarian but the smell of my mom's chicken biryani threw that out the window...
Not to be insensitive to your plight, but that really is what happened.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:13 PM   #7  

Beach this ain't a great world to be living in (human or animal).. I think we're doing them a favor by.. you know.. sending them to the other side.. :P

But seriously, when I think about it, I too hate myself for eating meat (I never feel guilty over eggs or cheese) but I think that as long as they're let go peacefully (i.e. no torture before killing, and this includes strangling!!) it should be ok.. at least ok for me..

D.
Della1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:38 PM   #8  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnigummi View Post
You know, we're existing only to become some bacteria/fungi's fodder. That's how we decompose. Something else eats us. Vultures would eat us too if they were allowed to circle us while we starved or however they prey. Think about eagles and their prey (mostly small animals such as mice, rats and the like). They're not merciful when they kill their food, but they do it because they need it to survive.

Sunni's right. This is a mere survival thing- how is it that Peta can't stop other predatory animals from eating prey? (I don't see them trying to stop Zebras from being eaten by lions) This IS natural. You can decide whether or not you want to gve it up. I never eat meat but won't cut out anything in a state of emergency for survival. If we had a time of famine where only animal products were available, I'd be able to survive if I knew what true instinct was.

This wasn't intend to insult or offend vegetarians or members of Peta.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:12 PM   #9  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

Quote:
how is it that Peta can't stop other predatory animals from eating prey? (I don't see them trying to stop Zebras from being eaten by lions)
Simba the Lion King, proud, magnificent lord of all beasts. Simba spies a fat juicy zebra just in the distance when all of a sudden..

*thwump*

*lion covered in flour, sound of footsteps running away*

Simba: "what the ****?!"

LynneA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 02:43 PM   #10  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I did go veggie about 7 months ago (has it been so long?!) but for me it was not at all to do with animal rights etc issues, it was simply because I didn't really fancy eating meat any more because I started to like veggies so much. I still get plenty of protein and a really balanced diet, and I find that I far prefer the food. Actually, I still don't see myself as properly veggie - I'm almost always open to the possibility of eating meat, but even when I give myself permission to do it as a "treat" meal, I end up going for the veggie option because I prefer the look of it.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:37 PM   #11  
Wastin' Away Again!

Pretty much all valid points. But I'm still torn.

I went to the docks today & some people had caught several blue crabs. They were letting them go, tho - throwing them back into the water. They said I could have them if I wanted them, but I stood there & saw the crabs standing in "that position" where they defend themselves. Here's this little crab, being defensive of itself, when a big'ol human just looms over him, but yet, he doesn't waver. He has his claws in a defensive stance, and I just admired him. I was so glad to see the people throw him & his other crab buddies back into the water. (OMG, I had crab meat last night for dinner.... )

I can eat most any kind of meat as long as I don't have to do the killing part! God, I could never do that. Not even if I were starving. Seriously!

I still feel like I'm doing something horribly wrong when I eat meat.

And yes, I feel that way about leather, etc. I would NEVER wear fur. NEVER! But I do own several leather jackets & pairs of shoes. I'm intent on never buying leather products again, tho. But I am all for recycled products, such as, I would buy a leather jacket at a used 2nd hand store. I'd hate to think the animal died for NOTHING. (god I'm so messed up!!!! )

Ok. Obviously I need to ponder upon this more!
Old 09-26-2006, 03:52 PM   #12  
the blond one

S/C/G: 198/126.4/121

Height: 5' 1.5"

If God didn't want us eating meat he wouldn't have put us at the top of the food chain. You think that lion chasing the zebra wouldn't gun down a human if it was hungry? Veggies are alive too, until you pluck 'em.
start8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #13  
Wastin' Away Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by start8 View Post
If God didn't want us eating meat he wouldn't have put us at the top of the food chain. You think that lion chasing the zebra wouldn't gun down a human if it was hungry? Veggies are alive too, until you pluck 'em.

that sounded wayyyyy harsh.

I don't believe we're at "the top of the food chain". Alone with a bear in the woods, with a tiger in the jungle, with a shark in the water, etc. Those animals would take us every single time. And I don't believe that people have a right to kill and destroy other species.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:44 PM   #14  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by start8 View Post

you speak the truth, sister!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:49 PM   #15  

Start8, excellent point! Plants are alive too.. until..
Della1977 is offline   Reply With Quote