Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-25-2006, 02:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/225/115

Height: 4'11

Question Question and Stuff

Hi everyone. I had a couple of questions. I hope this is the right section. I wasn't sure where to go with it. Has anyone had their gall bladder removed and if so gained weight from it? I have been ranging up and down 5 pounds or so for years. And I had my gall bladder taken out in Febuary. And now I've ballooned like crazy. All of my pants and stuff that use to be big now fit and what did fit are now too small I was just wondering if it was maybe from the surgery. Another question is are vegeterian (sp?) diets safe? I'm honestly thinking about trying one until this weight comes off if not permanantly. I just don't know if they are safe or not. Any thoughts, suggestions, anything? Thanks
nls35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/156/143

Height: 177 cm (5ft10in)

I don't know anything about gallbladder surgery. so I can't help with that

As for a vegetarian diet. It's certainly safe and very healthy as long as you read some literature on it. Because you are going to be lowering your protein intake by no longer consuming meat than you will need to find alternate protein sources. A multivitamin is also recommended.

Going vegetarian strictly for "weight loss" honestly is not the best strategy. There are plenty of overweight vegetarians. In fact it may backfire and cause you to gain weight if you do not take care to consume enough protein. (lack of protein causes one to feel unsatisfied = eat more = gain weight).
lewelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 04:50 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 312/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

I don't have an answer for the gall bladder question god I hope not I need mine out if or when my gall bladder attacks get worse.
Any way I became a vegetarian just over three years ago. And didn't lose any weight. You don't feel full and do tend to over eat if you don't find something to replace the protien. I had trouble affording the soy bean burgers, strips ect. So I at dinner I would cook meat, veggie and a pasta or potato for my family. I would eat about 3 or more servings of the vegggie and or pasta to get full. I still felt hungry a lot. Since then I started adding a soybean product or tofu on a regular basis I am dropping the weight.
I also got very sick about 2 yrs ago went to my doctor and found out I had a vitamin b12 deficiency. I started taking vitamins.
I'm not trying to talk you out of going on a vegetarian diet but definitly think of all aspects of it so you don't go though the problems I have had. Best of luck to you. Kelly
babyfattimes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:04 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 8.5"

Ok, I'm on the other end here, don't know about vegetarian, but I've had my gallbladder taken out.

I started getting gallbladder attacks after losing a lot of weight and I don't miss that pain at all! Horrible! Anyways, no, I have not had a problem with my weight since. I'm still losing for the most part and when I'm not losing, I know that it's my own fault.

However, everybody is different. I have read a few stories from others that said they had a harder time with their weight after having the surgery. Maybe there is a link, but I myself have not seen it.

When I asked my doctor about it, he said that in his experience that when people start having gall bladder problems they start eating less fatty foods because the fatty foods tend to cause and make the attacks worse. When they get their gall bladder out, they once again revert back to old eating patterns.

Whether or not he's right, I just don't know. Have you looked very carefully at what you've been eating since you had the surgery? If you can very honestly say that you shouldn't be gaining, maybe you should talk to a doctor. Maybe something else is going on or maybe your doctor knows something that mine doesn't.

Good luck, I hope you find some more info about this. Like I said, others have said the same as you so I wouldn't feel alone!
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:36 AM   #5  
rethinking myself...

S/C/G: 276/256/175

Height: 5' 11"

I had my gallbladder out in December 2005. I have been actively trying to lose weight (this time) since September 2005. I have had lots of road blocks, but I haven't really GAINED. The loss did slow down, but with all the crazy stuff going on in my life, I can't blame it on the surgery.

I was having a lot of digestive problems before I had my gallbladder out. I have no proof, but I suspect my body wasn't processing food correctly. I seem to have a lot fewer problems now that the gallbladder is gone.

That was the worst pain ever. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
kittymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:44 AM   #6  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I had my gallbladder out quite some time ago. Before the surgery, any fatty food would cause me terrible pain, so I didn't eat it. After the surgery, the fats didn't bother me so much and I ate them and gained weight. I believe the surgery itself doesn't cause weight gain, but many people do have a decrease in bowel motility for a while after most any surgery and anesthetic and this can lead to more problems with weight issues. Notice, I'm not a doctor, JMHO.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 01:26 PM   #7  

I have been a vegetarian for over 15 years. I gained most of my extra weight while I was vegetarian, and managed to lose over 80 pounds (and counting) and I am still vegetarian.
The key to weight loss is eating right, eliminating meat will not be a magic pill for weight loss if you increase your overall daily calories. It is all about calories in versus calories out.
A vegetarian diet can be very healthy, as can a non-vegetarian diet. No matter what a balanced diet is what is important.
Being vegetarian is part of who I am at the core. If you feel strongly about not eating meat, go for it - it can be a very healthy way of eating.
KTna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:21 AM   #8  

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the advice. I don't know exactly what to do. I love salads but I don't want to end up turning into a "rabbit"
I just honestly don't know how to go about losing weight I guess. I don't know how to do the carb counter thing. Calories per whatever confuse me. I've stopped eating all together before and my husband went nuts on me. He likes me the way I am. I think my main problem started when I got the Norplant. I got it right after my daughter was born (she just turned 14) and kept it for almost the ammount of time your are able to use it. My weight ballooned like crazy after I got it. But I didn't have the money to get it taken out. So it had plenty of time to screw up my system. My body hasn't been the same since. And that's been about 10 years or so I think. After my weight leveled off (after I gained about 40lbs) I didn't really lose or gain. I stayed within the same weight range until my surgery in Febuary. Then I started gaining again. So I'm stuck. I don't know what to do. I almost had rather dealt with the gallstones than gaining this weight I would appreciate any help on the carb or calorie counting. Oh, are there any safe over the counter weight loss pills out there?
Old 09-26-2006, 05:30 AM   #9  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I gained weight after my gallbladder removal. For me, personally, it was the mini-meals I was eating. I wasn't able to eat a whole meal all at once. So I'd eat something 'tasty to tide me over' until my next 'meal.' 300 calories here and there, nine or ten times a day...isn't good.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:38 AM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey there, nls35,

I had my gallbladder removed about ten years ago. My weight did go up, but I don't think it was because of the gallbladder removal, although perhaps some of it was. I think my "genes" are also just set to do that--get heavier as I get older--and so I've come to realize, after losing and gaining and losing and gaining, etc., that I just am going to have to pay attention to what I eat in a way that I never had to when I was young.

I myself don't do well at all on a vegetarian diet. My ancestry is all northern European, and you know, those folks didn't historically eat a lot of soybeans. I do much better eating adequate animal protein, mostly chicken and fish. It's the carbohydrates and fats that I really have to watch!

Just about any food these days has nutrition information on it, and even if you aren't in practice on calorie counting, you can see what you're getting in a serving. And watch the serving size! It's a simple matter to keep a running tally in a notebook.

Or, you can try the FitDay calculator that's available on the web. It has a lot of foods already loaded into it, and you just type in what you had and how much. It does all the math for you. There are other tools like that on the web also. The only drawback to FitDay for me is that it overestimates how many calories I burn in a day, so I have to adjust that downward.

Lots of good information on 3FatChicks also about different food plans! Be sure to check out the resources.

Jay

Highest weight: 198
Current weight: 182
Goal weight: 155
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:00 AM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I believe that both carb counters and calorie counters that are small can be found at Walmart. This is where I got my carb counter. It fits in my purse. Very handy to have along when grocery shopping. If you are interested in a low-carb plan both Atkins and South Beach books are at Walmart or you could probably find them at your local library. I think the cost was like $6.97. Whatever plan you choose, just please eat. Not eating is totally unhealty and you will gain it all back when you eventually do eat.

Last edited by lilybelle; 09-26-2006 at 10:07 AM.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:49 PM   #12  

Default Thanks again

Thanks again everyone. All of the information has been helpful