Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-10-2006, 10:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Default When your sick....

how well do you stick to your diet and exercise? I'm sick AGAIN, twice in a month. My alleriges are really bad this time of year, but on top of them this is my second cold in a month. (no thanks to all these moms that bring their kids to the daycare when they KNOW their child is sick!)
I'm just miserable and now I'm kinda beating myself up. I didn't eat the greatest, stayed within calorie limit, but not the healthiest foods and I only did about 1/2 my exercise regimen, if that honestly. I know it's only a set back, but the scale hasn't budged now in two weeks and I'm sure that being sick is making it worse. Do you all try to get your whole workout done or just let it go til you feel better?
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

For working out, I wait until I feel better. I just notice that working out sometimes makes me sicker and it takes longer to recover.. as for the diet aspect? I find I eat less, and often lighter foods when I'm sick. I don't try and diet when I'm really sick. They say 70% of weight loss is diet..

I hear yah on the getting sick thing though! It sucks so badly. I started feeling sore in the throat yesterday and today I'm sneezing, runny nose and white swollen things on my tonsils Lots of sicknesses going around.

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:59 AM   #3  

I just got over a cold a couple of weeks ago. There must be something going around, alot of people on the boards here and people I know are all getting sick.

Supposedly, if you have a head cold, you can workout. If it's a chest cold, you shouldn't. But I think the person that came up with that rule has never had a head cold before! I personally don't work out if I'm sick. I try to keep eating healthy, but I'd be doing pretty good to just get up and down my stairs without the world spinning. Forget a workout! Colds make our bodies weak, and it needs all the energy it can get to recover. It seems that for alot of people, it lengthens their cold or makes it worse. I know it does for me. So does inadequate rest and bad nutrition.

I'd say, depending on how you feel, if you really want to do something then go for a walk. But I wouldn't bust a move at the gym until you know the cold is basically gone.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I'm in the no-workout-when-I'm-sick camp. I'm really working on my impulse to mother myself with food that are nutritionally questionable when I'm feel not-go-good.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:07 PM   #5  

Default re: being sick

hi I know the feeling . I was doing an hour of cardio a day and now doing none since thurs due to bad dizzy spells and headaches . hope it will go away soon so I can get back on track again grrhhhh.
rainflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:42 AM   #6  
back at it

S/C/G: 178/175/145

Height: 5'8"

I'm all for resting when sick, I think its your body's way of saying slow down...i would definately try and stick to the healthier food though and lots of water..
denice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: S:157/C:121/G:125

Height: 5'4"

I don't exercise when I'm sick, as I just end up getting tired really fast. However, I also really don't eat much at all when I'm sick, so I usually end up losing weight without trying. I think it depends on how you feel. If you feel well enough to eat and have enough energy to exercise, then try it out. If you feel worse, don't.
Tara D is offline   Reply With Quote