Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-05-2006, 02:32 AM   #1  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Default gym quibbles

I am still (yes still) quibbling as to whether I need to join the gym or not. I think the only reason the gym would be good is that it gives a variety of exercises including free classes.

Its either kick boxing or the gym, what shall I make it ladies?
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:17 AM   #2  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Ok, I may be dense here (whouldn't be the first time), but what do you mean? Have you already joined and now want to know whether to just go work out or do kickboxing instead, or do you want to know whether to join the gym itself or not?

On kickboxing, though, I have never done it, but I here from the survivors of my own gym's class that it's one heck of a workout.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:25 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

GO KICKBOXING!

But of course I'm biased!

No really - it's an all over workout, cardio and toning and everything, plus it improves your confidence and hopefully you only need to pay each week you attend, so no money wasted if you don't go
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 07:43 AM   #4  

Smile

I belonged to a gym, it was good. But, I am happier working out at home. I have a treadmill, and a couple of videos, and weights. I think it is whatever you think is best. I personally feel I get a better workout at home, it's private, I know it's clean (most of the time ), I'm just happier at home.
AquaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #5  
Little Miss Random

I have had more success at home in the last 8 months than I ever did at the gym. I think its the personal aspect, no one is watching as such. My friend is pestering me to join as she is large, like I was, and is wanting to loose the extra weight. I kind of want to go for her benefit, but dont want to in another way, and that is what is messing me up a little.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:58 AM   #6  
aka Superwoman!

Can you support her in other ways? Take her out walking/jogging? Do couch to 5k with her? Go hiking/cycling/rollerblading together or have a night or two where you cook each other a healthy dinner?
Old 09-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #7  
Little Miss Random

Im going to encourage her to swim with me when I start. I need to get to where I feel comfortable within a swim suit first tho.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:18 AM   #8  
aka Superwoman!

If you don't have the courage to swim at your skinny weight, then perhaps she won't either... Just a thought! What other exercise do you do that she could join you at? Do you lift weights at home? You could do it together and make it a girlie night.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:18 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 180.5/157.5/145

I would never been successful at a gym. I like having a library of workout videos, a treadmill and a weight set at my disposal anytime I get the urge to do something. Have to get dressed and reasonably presentable would keep me from doing it.

I would hate to see you join a gym for your friend's sake and lose the momentum you've built for yourself at home. Because, at least for me, a break in my usual routine often takes a long to time to reconnect.
kateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:32 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/190/149

Height: 5'5"

I have been contemplating joining a gym also. But I'm like some others who have posted here. I have a treadmill at home (got it back out of the closet a couple of weeks ago) and have been actually using it!! My kids got me an MP3 player to motivate me. I crank up the volume and sing along as I walk. I couldn't do that at the gym, well I guess I could but people might point and stare, that would be bad. I'm going to go out and buy a small weight set today.
For me home is better. Cheaper. More private. I'm just not ready to sweat in public.
DebbieII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:40 AM   #11  
Little Miss Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated View Post
If you don't have the courage to swim at your skinny weight.
I admit I have lost weight, but at the moment I wouldnt consider myself at a skinny weight. My legs and bum are the worst areas I have, and I do look rather horrendous in a swim suit. Maybe soon I will get courage to post a pic on here for all you to see.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:46 AM   #12  
Little Miss Random

In fact, I will post a picture later on this evening.