Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-27-2008, 12:04 PM   #61  
Bonzilla

S/C/G: 195/188/150

Height: 5'6''

You guys all have really great suggestions! Here are somethings I do that helped me lose weight in the past:

If you can't live without bread I would suggest Net-4 low carb 50 calorie bread, I get it at walmart. I know there is 40 calorie bread but it's really airy and I think it's kind of gross...this bread tastes more like regular white bread almost. I put some I can't believe it's not butter on it along with some sugar-free seedless jam (10 calories a tablespoon). Pretty good!

I'm also giving up coffee, which is SO HARD! I live in washington where people are especially obsessed with coffee...haha. But I've switched to regular tea with a couple teaspoons of the sugar free jam and some walmart brand artificial sweetner in it. It sounds weird but it's really good!

I also read somewhere a recipe for a diet slushy that sounds AMAZING. It's just crystal lite, diet sprite, and ice. Put it in the blender and you have a nice refreshing practically 0 calorie slushy.

I eat 5 times a day, breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, and dinner. that helps a lot, so i dont binge by dinner time.

Turkey bacon is really great, 20 calories a slice i think, i get sugar-free chocolate pudding, salsa on celery is good and practically no cals, sometimes i have pretzel sticks, and i got some weight watchers cheese (45 caloreis a piece). With the bacon i either cook it up or just roll it up with some dijon mustard and lettuce. MMM

My biggest meal is lunch I think, I have apple sauce, cottage cheese, yogurt, carrots, an egg, pickles, and some pretzels or a flavored rice cake. I have a big lunch so that I don't end up eating a huge dinner right before I go to bed. Anyway, hope this helps
Bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #62  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

The best thing I can think of is "Do it even when you don't want to!" -- I fell off the bandwagon a bit on Saturday and by Sunday I had really lost all motivation to try. That's always been my problem - I can get started, but when I slip up, I lose motivation quickly. So all day yesterday I just kept telling myself, "Keep doing it even though you don't care right now."

Today...I'm okay. So that's it - eat well, even when you don't care. Exercise, even when you don't care. Because I guarantee - you'll care again in a day or two.

Last edited by Lunula; 04-28-2008 at 03:06 PM.
Lunula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:42 PM   #63  

S/C/G: 188/188/175

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrlining8 View Post
5. Take it home- I eat very little when we go out to dinner thanks to the salad. I always remind myself I will be happier to have that for dinner 3 times instead of just one.
This is a FANTASTIC way of thinking about eating out! I do tend to want to eat everything when I go out. Ironically, I love leftovers, too. Wonder why I never put such a positive spin on this???
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #64  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

I always eat breakfast. I cook up a pot of steel cut oats with a bit of added bran and keep it in the frig so I can have a hot bowl of cereal every morning without a long wait for it to cook. I usually have enough for 4 or 5 bowls. I microwave a serving and top it with fruit or homemade apple sauce, ff plain yogurt and skim milk. I have a hot breakfast in about 2 minutes.
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #65  
new/just discovered ya'll

S/C/G: 165/173/130

Height: 5'4

Put that swimsuit that you desperately want to fit into this summer in your purse! Everytime that you have to reach past it to get your wallet to pay for something that you shouldn't be eatting it really makesYou think twice!
readyforrealme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #66  

Quote:
My body is not my enemy...it is not something to be beat down and controlled...it is to be listened to and nurtured and cared for, like you would the person that you love the most.
This is a wonderful way to think!
gaia3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #67  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I love sweet vidalia onions and green bell peppers so I buy big bags every week and cut them up and roast them in the oven each weekend. Then I use it as a base for recipes all week: on salad; heat with lean protein and a little taco mix and it's mexican night (serve over lettuce with salsa and fat free sour cream, yum!); add to tofu sheritaki noodles, tomato paste and italian spices and it's my spaghetti fix; put in a wrap, etc etc.

I also cook large batches of lean chicken or turkey breast on the weekends and make up 3 ounce portions in baggies and freeze. Just the right size for salad or a small entree.

I have a husband and two teenage sons and I had to "get over" the idea that it was horrible to waste food. I would tend to eat it rather than see it go to waste. Now, I either plan ahead to freeze leftovers right away for meals later, or I just toss it and be done with it. Why should I be the family garbage can ??

I also find that writing down everything I eat helps make me much more conscious of my food choices. I can't hide from myself!!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #68  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

MBN: I just recently heard about tofu shiritaki noodles and have wondered about them, I am trying to find them locally. Then, today, I discovered something called "miracle noodles" that are calorie free and just fiber but are a form of shiritakis...they are used like regular pasta. What do the ones you use taste like? I want to get some, I am a pasta fanatic!!!
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #69  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

I keep sugar free gum and candy in my desk at work to keep me from mindlessly eating work treats.. some of that gum tastes really great!
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:18 PM   #70  

S/C/G: 235/228/199

Height: 5'3

These are awesome suggestions. Thanks everyone!
emmyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:51 AM   #71  

Height: 5'8"

What a great thread!!!

Most of mine have been used already but I will share a few...

-If I really want it, I eat it and make room for it.
-Gum really, really helps my sweet tooth.
-If I am just not feeling getting to the gym I go anyway. Usually once I am there I get over it but if not then I do a lighter workout.
-I never let myself get too hungry.

And, healthy eating 101...never, ever, under any circumstances do I go to the store hungry!
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #72  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

I just thought of another one: when I have a salty craving (I'm a salt person), I sometimes eat a pickle. Soulbliss posted about kale chips and I think I will try those this weekend.
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #73  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBN View Post
Why should I be the family garbage can ??
Wow! Why indeed!
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #74  
Amy

S/C/G: 328/see ticker/170

Height: 5' 8"

Wow...great tips.
  • I don't eat sugary food at all and try to keep "hidden" sugars in food at a minimum. It's all or nothing for me. No cheat days.
  • I avoid white flour (white bread & white pasta, etc.)
  • I eat whole grains.
  • I drink lots of water (plain & seltzer).
  • I pack my lunch for work.
  • I try not to go out to eat. (My mind doesn't want a salad at a restaurant--it wants non-healthy food.)
  • I have a regular sleep schedule (new research is showing that sleep deprivation contributes to obesity & diabetes).
  • I am involved with Overeaters Anonymous.

And it is working.

Now I NEED to add exercise into the mix but I am having a **** of a time getting started.

Amy
oreokitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:45 PM   #75  

S/C/G: 235/228/199

Height: 5'3

I thought of a couple of things today.

1. In the evening when I have decided that I am done eating for the day, I brush my teeth and use ACT fluoride rinse (which is effective only if you don't eat for half an hour after rinsing with it). I hate brushing my teeth, so I'll resist the temptation to eat anything else because I don't want to do it again!

2. I know that people say diet soda makes you gain weight, but it totally satisfies my sweet tooth and has never had a major effect on me (that is, when I drink it vs. when I don't drink it I don't see a significant difference).

3. I've also started substituting sparkling water (maybe with a bit of squeezed lemon or lime in it) for a snack. Sometimes I just feel like putting something yummy in my mouth, and sparkling water satisfies that urge and fills me up a little bit without adding to my calorie count. It also acts as a great replacement for diet soda (I only drink one a day, and the seltzer helps me keep it that way), AND increases my water intake.

4. I have to eat cafeteria food, so I'll make sure that over half of my plate is occupied by veggies, and then I eat them first. Whenever I can bring myself to, I start with a big salad, too, which is low in calories but has enough fiber and volume to it that it feels very filling. Then I just don't feel like eating the bad stuff as much.

Last edited by emmyroo; 05-01-2008 at 09:51 PM.
emmyroo is offline   Reply With Quote