Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #136  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I don't know how non-traditional these are, but here goes.

- I like to do intermittent fasting. I don't know if I'm using that term correctly. Basically, I like to fast most of the day on one of my days off, and only eat dinner. I might have a mid to late morning meal replacement shake as well. I also fast before major feasts, such as holiday dinners, before parties and other events that might allow me to eat poorly (such as dinner out, the movies, etc.). This is to off set damage.

- I've also done another diet that can result in very rapid weight loss, which was key in my initial weight loss efforts.

Last edited by twinieten; 12-29-2011 at 06:37 AM. Reason: removed reference to HCG
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #137  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

Learned this one from FlyLady: I put on my gym clothes and sneakers as soon as I get up, and I make my bed right away. If I have my shoes on and my bed is made, I am less likely to climb back into it.

I use one of those neck/chin exerciser thingies. It really works!

I also work out my grip using a grip exerciser spring device. Strong hands help me use better form in my weight lifting.

I am planning to make a recording of myself saying encouraging things to myself (affirmations). I have read that you are most inclined to believe things you repeat often to yourself, and that hearing it in your own voice helps. We'll see!

Since I am always cold (as are many dieters) I got a 12v car seat warmer. It makes a HUGE difference! Not really a fitness tip but I know a lot of people struggle with cold on this forum.

I made an appointment with a dermatologist and got a prescription antiperspirant. Trying to eliminate all possible reasons NOT to work out.

This one is probably TMI: I perspire a lot when I work out, so I always wear an "overnight" feminine napkin at the gym. No more embarrassing groin sweat.

Last edited by shr1nk1ngme; 12-27-2011 at 04:39 PM.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:42 PM   #138  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shr1nk1ngme View Post
Do tell--what is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shr1nk1ngme View Post
This one is probably TMI: I perspire a lot when I work out, so I always wear an "overnight" feminine napkin at the gym. No more embarrassing groin sweat.
Oh, I know what you mean! During fitness classes, I have to literally carry around a towel when we're doing stations (i.e., for a bootcamp class) because I drip all over everything.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #139  

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinieten View Post
I like to do intermittent fasting. I don't know if I'm using that term correctly. Basically, I like to fast most of the day on one of my days off, and only eat dinner. I might have a mid to late morning meal replacement shake as well. I also fast before major feasts, such as holiday dinners, before parties and other events that might allow me to eat poorly (such as dinner out, the movies, etc.). This is to off set damage
I've done this before, and when I can get through the initial hunger pains, I'm fine. And boy does that first meal I eat taste great! My problem is just having the willpower to get through those hunger pains. It helps if I'm busy. I teach, and I don't even think about food when I'm preparing for class or when I'm in class. However, during semester break (like now), I'm at home all day, and it's really difficult to resist eating.

Last edited by lin43; 12-27-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #140  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Fun thread!

1) I still drink diet coke, eat fast food and pizza. I just make sure to fit it into my calories for the day. I probably eat a lot of things that would make people cringe. I don't do this too often though.

2) I don't weigh my food. I measure occasionally, but I mostly eyeball things.

3) I don't write anything down. I keep track of everything I eat in my head. I find writing things down to be annoying.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #141  
One pound at a time

S/C/G: 292.2/138.6/146

Height: 5'9"

I keep the temperature low in my home, mainly to save money, but it also helps burn more calories when you're chilly. When I feel too chilly, I hop on the exercise bike for 20-30 minutes and warm myself up.
Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #142  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

I think my biggest non-traditional way I lost weight was wearing a VERY tight body suit. I associate tight clothing with being overweight and feeling uncomfortable in my skin. But because I refuse to look like a sausage in actual tight clothes I put this on underneath. Fortantely, and unfortantely, I can't find a body suit in a size small enough to feel tight on me anymore. I wish I could because it really helped me.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:06 PM   #143  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

im more lazy than hungry. thats what i realised. if i have to go to the store and make food myself, i will eat much less often and opt for sandwhiches or meals i can microwave like lean cuisine or smart ones. if i feel like a snack , chances are id rather ignore the craving then leave my warm apartment. i eat 4 small meals a day instead of 3 large meals and 6 or 7 snacks and mini meals. not so much a trick as lazy lol
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #144  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shr1nk1ngme
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
Do tell--what is it?
It looks like this, but the logo is different:

I got mine for a few dollars on eBay.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #145  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

1) I often eat breakfast later (9-10 am; sometimes 11 am brunch)
2) sometimes have a liquid type meal: like only soup for lunch or dinner, esp if I have something more planned later, or making up for holidays, etc.
3) I find having jello or soup for a snack or lunch filling
4) splitting my dinner: 1/2 for meal; half for my snack
5) have smaller meals, so really eating 4-6 smaller ones each day
6) keeping busy helps ward off hunger for me
7) have a snack for a meal
8) if I have a heavy lunch, I have a light dinner (soup/salad); and visa-versa
9) if eat too much one day, I eat a bit less the next
10) I do exercises while reading on the net, esp here; ie hand-weights, tummy tucks, chair situps, etc
11) we also keep our house temps down too; saves money & burns calories
12) still eat our favorite foods: in smaller amounts & healthier versions
13) I eat lots of salads & veggies & soup with my meals every day to fill me up, EATING THEM FIRST ...
14) I also use positive meditations, mantras & affirmations to ward off neggies & emotional-response eating
15) I do neck exercises without a machine; tighten your chin & teeth up like a shriek & hold; really -- try it.
16) I do toning exercises upon waking -- before getting out of bed; and when I get up, I make my bed right away too
17) I use my carpet/floor sweeper as exercise almost daily am
18) I do a bit of housecleaning every day, as exercise ie washing walls, etc;
19) switch meals: lunch & dinner; or breakfast for dinner or a snack
20) ward off hunger pangs in between meals with soup broth, tea, coffee, jello, etc.

Quote:
I do quite a bit of exercise using a tread desk my husband made for me.
OP: Really, what's that? How does it look and work?

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 12-27-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #146  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwant2Bhealthy View Post
OP: Really, what's that? How does it look and work?
It's just a regular treadmill on which my husband built me a keyboard & mouse holder. My screen is on top of a bookshelf, which I've pushed close enough to see well (plus, I enlarge the print size on my screen by pressing Ctrl + until I get the right size). I walk at a speed I feel comfortable with (now, 3mph, elevation 4) while working on the computer.

Google "tread desk" and you'll see the "official one" created by a doctor from the Mayo Clinic (I think there's even a YouTube video) & some homemade versions many people have made. Some offices have installed them for employees who wish to work on them, and in those cases, most people walk at a very slow pace (1.0 or 1.5) for several working hours.

Last edited by lin43; 12-27-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:31 AM   #147  
Run, run, run!

S/C/G: 204/160/???

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAm View Post
I think my biggest non-traditional way I lost weight was wearing a VERY tight body suit. I associate tight clothing with being overweight and feeling uncomfortable in my skin. But because I refuse to look like a sausage in actual tight clothes I put this on underneath. Fortantely, and unfortantely, I can't find a body suit in a size small enough to feel tight on me anymore. I wish I could because it really helped me.
Underarmor makes compression suits (one piece or you can get separate tops and bottoms) in all sizes. Not only does it feel great to have them on under your workout gear, but you can feel the compression and if you're bloated it's really uncomfortable.
PrairieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:34 AM   #148  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Great ideas !
Shr1nk1ngme, Making the bed, and putting on sneakers could possibly get me to the gym sooner.
Sontaikle, Eye balling...I weigh and measure religiously, but getting used to what a portion should look like seems like a very good move.

Here are my 2 of mine : Going Shopping....somehow I forget all about food.
Making sure my plate is 50% low carb vegies.
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #149  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigrace View Post
Making sure my plate is 50% low carb vegies.
I'll have to try this one.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:20 PM   #150  
Playing to Lose

S/C/G: 194/ticker/129

Height: 5' 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGirl View Post
Underarmor makes compression suits (one piece or you can get separate tops and bottoms) in all sizes. Not only does it feel great to have them on under your workout gear, but you can feel the compression and if you're bloated it's really uncomfortable.
Thank you, PrairieGirl. I just went to their website and not only do they look great the price is awesome too! I wear mediums so I'll be ordering a small. The more uncomfortable, the better! haha And maybe one day those smalls won't be so uncomfortable.
ShanIAm is offline   Reply With Quote