Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-29-2006, 01:46 PM   #1  

Default I hate that men lose faster

Okay, I know I should be happy for those men who succeed in losing weight and maintaining but I have some serious resentment towards them. Case in point. My dad (about 6 feet tall and 250ish lbs) carries most of his weight around is stomach (not healthy), but otherwise is relatively average. Anyway, my mom was after him to lose like 20 lbs so his blood pressure and cholesterol would go down. SO he begrudgingly agrees and only 1 month later he is 20 lbs down. Do you want to know what he changed!? He didn't eat after 7. THAT WAS ALL!
I'm so frustrated that a 55 year old male who has been the same size for 10+ years just doesn't eat after supper and loses 20 lbs so quickly, while me, a 21 year old female can eat 1500 cal/day, 1 hour of hard cardio 5 times a week, weights 4 times a week has lost a total of 5 pounds in a month.
Yes, I am losing inches... slowly.... but it is just so funny to me that woman have the hardest time losing weight, yet WE are the ones who are judged constantly on our appearance. Honestly, if a guy were my weight, nobody would even notice. Stupid shallow society.
Okay I am done.
I have to get some work done heh heh.

-D.
Delilah*21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

Darling, I couldn't agree with you more.

My lovely boyfriend has a SUPER metabolism. His personal trainer actually told him to eat whatever he wants, as much as he wants, whenever he wants. I was like.. UGH, talk about unfair! Mr. 7% body fat...

It's okay though... the journey will only make you stronger.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:03 PM   #3  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

My husband lost his weight and has kept it off for a few years now. It is very frustrating. It came off fairly easily. He hates exercise, so he even knows exactly how much he can eat with out gaining and without having to exercise.

He sort of looks down on me as a failure. No amount of trying to explain the differences between men and women helps ~ he only sees that as more of my excuses. The dr told me 1500 calories and no lower. You don't get much with that amount of calories, and without some sort of exercise even that doesn't help.

His answer is all about the food. "Just quit eating." Grrrrrr

If he would only realize how much it would help if he would be supportive instead of......how he is. Grrrrrr again!
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:02 PM   #4  
Fat-be-gone

Oh how I hate men
Rosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:03 PM   #5  

I think at least half of the posts I have made on this board have been b*tching about how my hubby lost so much weight while eating at least 3 times as much as me.

I feel your pain, Delilah.... In a BIG.WAY.

He has lost 40 lbs now, and is trying to maintain 201. He is trying to "maintain" because I keep feeding him healthy and he keeps on losing more and doesn't want to lose any more! (completely foreign thought to me, that jerk).
mudbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 06:20 PM   #6  

I think that i would completely LOSE it if my boyfriend was trying to maintain and was still losing. My best friends boyfriend is kind of like that... he is a beanpole... but he eats more than anyone i've ever known. In his car he as candy everywhere... when he got over 150lbs he was so excited . He's been trying to get to 175... but I'm not sure he ever will. I wish I could eat what I want and never worry about this but whatever... it builds character right??????

seriously though.... men really do have it easier a lot of the time.
Delilah*21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/250/160

Height: 5ft.5"

Don't feel bad, my husband is 6foot 7" and gained over 100lbs since we've been married, 20 years! He did them same thing didn't eat after supper and cut down on carbs, I'm a great cook so eats well, he dropped 85 lbs without exersising in about 5 months. It sucks!!!!
shoots-alot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/166/150

Height: 5'8"

Part of the reason why some men lose weight faster than women is because they have much more muslce mass and testosterone.

Definitely hit up the weights to help increase your fat burning capabilities.

Glynne, I'm sorry you're husband has been so unsupportive. Smack him upside the head for me, will ya?
Hale_Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:11 AM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale_Mary View Post
Part of the reason why some men lose weight faster than women is because they have much more muslce mass and testosterone.
haha, I don't think anybody cares about the "why" in it all...even when you understand it, it's still quite frustrating! Women also naturally need more fat and lose weight slower than men. At any given time, a woman's body may have to support 2 lives instead of just 1--hooray for womanhood

Yeah, when my father wants to lose a few inches off his belly, he just eats a little less for a few weeks and he's all set. And here, I had lost over 40 pounds and didn't even go down a single pant size
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 10:31 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 562.3/404/195

Height: 6'3"

Just so you know, I have been eating about 1800 calories per day and exercising 5 days a week for over 2 years to lose the weight I have lost. While it may be easy for some men to lose weight, I would not say it is easy for all of them.
Charles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 11:07 AM   #11  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles78 View Post
Just so you know, I have been eating about 1800 calories per day and exercising 5 days a week for over 2 years to lose the weight I have lost. While it may be easy for some men to lose weight, I would not say it is easy for all of them.
Actually, 315 pounds lost in well under 3 years is quite remarkable! I'm not saying it's been easy for you personally, but I bet at 1800 calories a day, it would have taken a lot of women even longer to make such amazing progress (I know one woman in the 300+ section started at nearly 600 pounds I think 3-4 years ago and was still over 300 last I heard from her in the spring). I know it took me nearly a year to lose 40 pounds, and that was starting a bit over 300, exercising 4 days a week, and keeping mostly around 1600 calories (with a couple months actually being closer to 1200 calories).

Losing weight is always a challenge because it requires change, so I wouldn't say it's necessarily "easy" for anyone, but the (annoying if you're a woman) fact is that men lose weight more easily than women--not EASY, but easiER.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote