Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-28-2006, 08:51 AM   #1  
"You CAN do it!" :D

S/C/G: 211/208/165

Height: 5'11"

Default Special K diet?

I heard that there was someone that tried (and lost) on the special K diet- 2 bowls of special k and then eat your 3rd as normal. I'm curious. can you please reply?

thanks!
kandices2ndtry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:30 AM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Well do you want to eat 2 bowls of special K every day for the rest of your life?

Not only will you get very hungry but you will get pretty bored and be likely to binge. If you can stick to it for an amount of time, yes I am sure you will lose weight - but would think that it would be very hard to keep the weight off after.

When thinking about losing weight you need to lose the word 'diet' and think about something you can do and keep upfor the rest of your life... best of luck
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:35 AM   #3  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical View Post
Well do you want to eat 2 bowls of special K every day for the rest of your life?
Seriously! I mean, I love healthy cereal, but these substitute-regular-meals-with-a-bowl-of-cereal-two-times-a-day diets are just for women who want to temporarily lose weight. Of course the cereal company would love for you to eat that much for the rest of your life, but who wants to eat the same thing, 2 times a day, every day?
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

I would be starving!
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:07 AM   #5  
LLV

I second Courtnie's post. And third it and fourth it!

These diets are just a temporary fix. Sure, you may lose a little weight, but you'll put it right back on when you start eating normally again.

Rememer, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

There are no quick fixes out there. I know, I "dieted" my way to 220 pounds. I stopped dieting. I made permanent changes I could live with for the rest of my life. That's when the weight came off.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:14 AM   #6  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

The only reason this plan works is that you're obviously cutting calories from your breakfast and lunch meals, plus I'm guessing not having any snacks. You could easily cut just as many calories eating well-rounded, yummy meals other than Special K (which actually, as far as cereals go, is not the healthiest choice--just because it's low in calories doesn't mean it has any nutrition or healthy ingredients).

Let's see, according to their website, a serving is 1 cup of the cereal with 1/2 cup of skim milk, and that comes to 150 calories. For me, that's hardly any food at all, and I'd likely be hungry again within the hour. For about 150 calories, I could have a satisfying cup of hot soup; a sandwich on light whole-grain bread with veggies, lean meat, and reduced-fat cheese; a Lean Cuisine or SmartOnes frozen meal of chicken and veggies; a large salad with veggies, fruit, chicken, and a light dressing; a chicken and/or veggie wrap on a whole-wheat tortilla; lettuce wraps with chicken, veggies, and cheese; a strawberry smoothie...I would prefer any of these over a bowl of cereal with such ingredients as sugar, salt, and high fructose corn syrup.

I would also be wary that with only 300 calories combined at lunch and breakfast, you'd likely not be eating enough calories in a day. This only adds another reason why this would not work as a long-term plan, for dropping your calories too low will work for a while, but eventually, your weight loss will stall, and you likely won't be getting enough nutrition from your food, which could cause dry hair, hair loss, dry and/or brittle nails, dry skin, and a multitude of other symptoms of mild malnutrition.

So short answer: yes, it would probably work for a while, but it is NOT a healthy, well-rounded, nor long-term plan.

If you like cereal enough to eat it twice a day, maybe try a Kashi cereal with some sliced fruit added (and maybe even some almond slivers or something if it doesn't have much protein or fat). Or mix a healthy cereal into a cup of cottage cheese or yogurt (I would think Kashi GoLean Crunch would work well for this--almost like a granola cereal in texture).
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Greetings! I actually DID the Special K diet for the FULL TWO WEEKS. It says lose "up to" six pounds. I lost three pounds, and I never want to eat Special K again! Also, those three pounds came back in no time because I didn't have a plan beyond that.

Remember, the point of all these gimmicks is to sell the product.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote