Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-10-2006, 11:11 PM   #1  

Unhappy I need some help

Ok. This is it folks. I am at the highest weight of my entire life. I feel so ashamed of myself and my body. People keep asking my why I never take pictures of myself with my digital camera. It's because I am horrified by the person I see.

As of today, I weigh somewhere near 250 pounds. I am horrified that the scale has climbed to this point and worry it may continue to climb.

A few years back, my average weight was around 225, however a number of psycho-social events have brought to the 250 mark. I began the process of quitting smoking 18 months ago and have been smoke free for almost a year now. I also went back to college and got into a serious relationship with someone else who likes to eat. I also came off the Atkins diet. Given all these things, I probably shouldnt be as upset as I am.

All my life, I've struggled with my weight and Atkins was the only plan that ever really worked for me. I got down to 180 pounds, the lowest of my adult life...I want to cry thinking about how great it felt. That version of my body, haunts me everyday because I want her back. The problem is, Atkins stopped working and low calorie diets have never offered any real success. I have no way to get her back. I feel lost, and stranded.

I'm not a lazy person. I am a cycle commuter who rides 20+ miles per week. The weird thing is, even when I add in exersize, my muscles get even bigger (theres huge muscles undeneath this layer of flab), but the fat wont go away. I am also into hiking and fishing. I do my best to stay active and break a sweat at least 2-3 days per week.

I just dont know what to do. I dont have insurance, so I cannot go to a nutritionist. Can anyone relate? Any ideas as to where I can start?

Blessings!

S
Gawdess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:46 PM   #2  
stbakd

hi gawdess. start drinking water,laying offthe chips etc and eating less.
glen
hefty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 205/149/128

Height: 5'3"

Default I understand about Atkins

I lost a ton of weight on Atkins and was down significantly from where I am, but after a few years I can't eat any more of what I ate to lose the weight and calorie counting kills me. I don't know the answer, but I understand. Congratulations on QUITTING SMOKING, you should be so proud of yourself, really, for having the courage to do that. I still have that ahead of me and it scares me. I also have a lot of muscle bulk and I know that I am a smaller size than my weight reflects---it sounds like you are too.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is it sounds like your hormones might be problematic, with so much muscle building and exercise---you don't deserve to be hurting. I can't imagine cycle commuting-wow. Anyway, is there any way you can see an endocronologist for one visit to get your hormones checked? There are conditions like PCOS that cause insulin resistance and high levels of androgens that can increase muscle bulk in women and contribute to weight gain and medications can help.

I don't know the answer about why Atkins stops working after a few years, I really feel your pain. Induction does nothing for me now. Maybe our bodies just adjust, and the nicotine withdrawal is a killer. I wish I had more help to offer, but one suggestion is to do dr. atkins yeast free plan, even though it is super hard. Basically no fermented foods [i.e. no cheese except fresh mozzarella, no soy, no alcohol, no sour cream, no vinegar] and just eat meat and vegetables for six weeks or so. I have done this once and it broke through the most killer atkins plateau of my life. I lost twenty pounds in six weeks and kept it off. I am trying to work up the motivation to try again.
Gillian73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I wanted to say welcome! I'm not on adkins. I'm on the calorie/healthy food diet. (My calories aren't very low but they work for me). You should go for what works for you. It's probably a good thing you are a little upset because this is what will propel you in making a firm commitment to get back on track. Congrats. Welcome. You can do it!
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:29 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

If you couldn't stick to Atkins for life, find something you can stick to for life. I'm biased for just plain old healthy eating, since I finally found something that worked after 20 years of hopeless, failed dieting (lose/gain/lose/gain/lose/GAIN MORE).

Here's a link to my story (if you want):

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84601
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 12:37 AM   #6  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Gawdess-

10 Months ago I started following the USDA Food Pyramid. 8 months ago I started working out 3 days a week at first and now I'm up to 5 - 6 days a week. I do cardio and strength training. Both are important. I learned that after doing nothing but cardio for the first month and losing a couple pounds and a few inches. Then when I incorporated the strength training, after my first two weeks I lost 9 1/2 inches and after 3 weeks I lost 6 lbs. That continued for the next couple of months. I now lose an average of 5 lbs per month. I've lost 54 lbs and over 40 inches. I started at a size 20 and I am now a size 7/8.

My best advice to you is to find something that you can do for the rest of your life. It truly is a lifestyle change to lose weight, get fit and get healthy. At least if you plan on doing it right. Calories in vs. calories out. I am down to my last 25 lbs to lose. I know it will take a while. I'm fine with that. Slow progress is best. Patience is a MUST. Your body will thank you in the long run.

Congrats on taking the first step to changing your life.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 205/149/128

Height: 5'3"

SOLD! Glory, thank you for sharing your story. For a few years Atkins was my religion and my miracle story. But it stopped working. Not just I couldn't stick to it, but it literally stopped even maintaining my weight. I have been searching so hard for a lifetime solution and I read your story--very similar to mine. I have been afraid of anything except Atkins and basic strict calorie counting which has never served me well in the past. I am going to buy the book & start Superfood tomorrow! THANK YOU! I am half-way there since I gave up processed foods a long time ago.
Gillian73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:13 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefty1
hi gawdess. start drinking water,laying offthe chips etc and eating less.
glen
Thanks Glen, but actually I dont eat chips. I'd say Ice Cream is the real problem during the summertime.

Anyhow, after last nights pity festival, I decided to try something new this morning. I just got back from the grocery store and purchased some things to try and change my habits. I am also gonna get going on fitday again to see what can be done. I just cant be this miserable person anymore. Some of the foods I bought include Whole Wheat wraps, strict proteins, ICBINB spray, Miso, and plain popcorn. I also remembered one of my mom's old diet tricks...getting Fat free and Sugar Free pudding mix, and making a shake with it using a little milk,ice and water

I'm not sure just watching my calories is going to cut it and maybe this is what my post was trying to get at last night. I need to get rid of all the excess fat and processed white flour/sugar foods. I know they are must be culprit.

It made me feel good to know there are other Atkins types who have struggled to lose the weight as well. It made me feel like less of a loner in this. Really, when I say weight watchers doesnt work for me, I'm not kidding.

I look forward to chatting more with you all on the forums. Thanks for the advice!
Gawdess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:58 AM   #9  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

It doesn't matter what you pick as long as it works for you. Good luck and welcome back!
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:02 AM   #10  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

Welcome Gawdess!

Congrats on quitting smoking, that is awesome! You have made a great start coming to this site, lots of great people here and lots of wonderful info!

Anyways I don't have any real advice, but wanted to say Welcome!!!!
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote