Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/204/170

Height: 5'6

Default Arg! When will I learn??

So today is Miracle Treat day at DQ. The proceeds from every blizzard sold go to local Childrens Miracle Network hospitals. A coworkers baby son had surgery for a cleft palette at the Childrens hospital here, so a big group from work went to DQ for lunch. I tried to be good I swear! I had a grilled chicken sandwich, no mayo, and a water. I was going to get a small blizzard too. But then, a friend had leftover fries, so I had a few! And then another friend had 2 onion rings left, so I had two! And then.... one of the Directors at my work bought medium Blizzards for the whole group. So of course, I had to have it...and of course, I had to eat the whole thing! Because throwing part of it is wasteful and rude ( I need to work on this). Now that I'm back at the office, I AM MISERABLE. If my stomach could talk, it would be saying this right now "BLLLLAARRRRGGGGG." I'm tired, and headachey, and want to lay down. And my stomach is just so upset. When am I going to learn?
Allikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:55 PM   #2  
Fat to PHAT!!

S/C/G: 255/234/155

Height: 5'7"

Okey, I know how this one feels and my response to it was the same as yours. My mother-in-law was the one who bought them!! Who wants to tick of their MIL. So I ate it and felt guilty and sick to my stomach. I hate that feeling. So now I just weigh the option, do I turn it down and potentially hurt someone else's feelings or do I make myself feel bad physically and emotionally? I try to choose myself now and just hope that the other person will understand!!
TiredofWeightin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:01 PM   #3  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Allikat -
Sorry you're feeling yuck. You ARE learning - right now. You identified several things in your post that you want to work on - passing up food from friend's plates (or baskets, in this case), not eating all of something just because it's offered to you and how to make better choices in a less than ideal eating situation (WTG w/ the grilled chicken, no mayo & water!!). And the fact that you feel miserable now just hammers all those things home.

Just see this experience for what it is - a chance to learn more about what works and doesn't work for you - and move on. You can do it !
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:06 PM   #4  
hara hachi bu

Hmm. This reminds me of when I was 15, at my brother's high-school graduation. He kept giving me beer and encouraging me to drink it (nice brother, I know), so I'd take the beer, go where he couldn't see me, dump some in the grass, and go back to a pleased brother who thought he was getting me drunk.

Anyway, maybe there's a way to step out of a situation like that, ditch half the ice cream/float/blizzard, and go back looking like you ate it?

Well, live and learn. You are learning.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Repeat 10 times before any office function that involves food: "My body is not a garbage disposal. I must not treat it like one."

Works for me, anyway. Last week it was a coworker's birthday and my boss wanted me to stop at the donut store and pick up donuts on my way to work. I picked them up and STILL didn't eat any. I was rather proud of myself.
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:28 PM   #6  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

fiddler -

Impressive!! Way to dodge those donuts!
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 192/186/155

Height: 5'9"

O.k. so you messed up. The REALLY imporant part is what happens afterward. You cannot give into the temptation to blowing it at dinner since you messed up at lunch. Just dust yourself off, and get back up. Tonight have a nice salad and some chicken.
EverHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allikat
one of the Directors at my work bought medium Blizzards for the whole group. So of course, I had to have it...and of course, I had to eat the whole thing! Because throwing part of it is wasteful and rude ( I need to work on this).
That's a mentality to fix right there. I don't HAVE to eat anything. No social niceties or politeness will make me put anything in my mouth I don't want to. I refuse food all the time and get rude if the person keeps pushing it on me. When I was losing weight, I gave myself permission to be a pain in the *** about food. We are socialized to be so nice, to give in, to not create waves, to not rock the social boat. Not me. I say no to restaurants, I say no to birthday cake at work (unless it's my birthday) and I don't give a **** what anyone thinks about it. There is wasted food everywhere, every second of the day. Me eating a blizzard isn't going to save a starving child in another country.

It's my body I have to live in, and I prefer it unupholstered with cake.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 220/217/140

Dido to what Ever said, I totally totally agree. I was looking at your tracker, you're doing amazing, don't let this be a big setback, maybe a little one if any at all. You're progress shows you can do it!!!
medic4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 293.5/258.5/140

Height: 5'3"

Hang in there -- we all have moments like this. Pick up where you left off with a nice light dinner. Drink lots of water or crystal light, do a little extra walking or light exercise, and the damage to your diet plan is minimal.

As far as feeling like you can't be rude about the blizzard and have to finish it -- I know how you feel. But as others have said -- it's your body, you don't have to finish anything -- better to savor a few sips and toss the rest. Try journaling about your feelings about food, being nice all the time, etc. and with a bit of insight you can develop the inner strength to face similar situations in the future the way you want to, rather then peer pressure.

Don't beat yourself! You're human. Tomorrow is a fresh new day.

Last edited by lady_rose_13; 08-10-2006 at 04:37 PM.
lady_rose_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

I had heard about the Miracle treat day thing too, but I heard that only a penny for every blizzard is being donated, so I was thinking about just taking the money I would have spent on a blizzard and just donate it directly.

Anyone else heard about how much is really being donated for each blizzard?
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:21 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 240/204/170

Height: 5'6

I was told that it's the price minus cost. So whatever profit they have leftover would be donated. Today I'm feeling much better, and the scale didn't move so that is a bonus. I had a light dinner and worked out for about 50 mins. Thanks for the encouraging words and support everyone..!
Allikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:42 AM   #13  

OK, this is late but I found it very interesting. I think this social pressure thing affects all of us. I wish I could be as bold as Glory and if it's my personal friends I am, but in a business situation I usually tell them it's against doctor's orders. Hey, my doctor did say I needed to lose weight so it's not really a lie. If they push I just say it had something to do with bloodwork. It's a stop gap until I'm up to really bold.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 205/199/150

Height: 5'8"

at least it was for a good cause.
smoochie3 is offline   Reply With Quote