Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-26-2006, 11:47 AM   #1  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

Default Do You Ever Feel Like You are Mentally Sabotaging Yourself?

Here is my deal. I think about my weight loss 24/7. I have convinced myself that I have to really keep my sodium in check at 2400 mg or below every single day. With that mindset, I have trouble eating enough calories because I am so freaked out by water retention and sodium. I have hardly lost anything in July. When I keep my sodium in check, then I am low on calories. Do I just need to relax?? Correct me if I am wrong, but even if I am retaining water from too much sodium, wouldn't I still lose weight if I am doing everything else right? After all, fat is not water. I think mentally I am setting myself up for failure and I have come so far. How do I get over this, what do I do?? Help!!
HadEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 250/184.4/146

Height: 5'2"

If you are not getting enough calories in, you could be sabatouging yourself for weight loss as your body feels it is in a starvation mode.
Unless you are eating out excessively or heavily salt your food, I wouldn't worry about your sodium intake. Focus on eating healthy and getting enough food in. If you are worried about sodium just limit salty snack, limit frozen dinners, rinse canned vegetable and limit use of your salt shaker.
You've had a great weight loss. Keep up the good work!
exquisitern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I never even bothered with sodium. If you eat whole foods and avoid processed/packaged foods, it won't be an issue.

You definitely need to eat enough food to keep you satisfied and to make sure you get all the nutrition your body needs. Pay attention to your body, if you start really really craving sugar and fat, your body is crying out for quick fuel (you aren't eating enough).

I used to binge all the time. I know a lot of people overeat for a variety of reasons, sometimes emotional. I know I was eating junk, I was eating a LOT but my body wasn't getting good nutrition (serious lack of fruits, vegetables, protein, healthy fat, etc). Now that I have improved my eating habits, I don't get those weird, bingy, can't stop eating cravings any more.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I looked at several days of your FitDay and the only thing that I saw that could be high in sodium is canned foods, cheese and the occasional chips. And you don't eat that much of any of those. You have a lot of good choices for food. I say that if the food NATURALLY has sodium in it, eat it. But if sodium is added as part of the processing, then avoid it or eat it in moderation if you want to keep your sodium in check.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 184/183/140

Height: 5'3"

I often catch myself and say "no, you're not going to ruin this for yourself....again!" I become OBSESSED with all the weight loss everything. I have had days where I was on the scale 10-12 times. It was silly! I have also found myself eating when I am alone, or skipping the last 5 minutes of my workout and I KNOW I'm the only one who knows and I'M the one who will pay the price and yet I still do it.....I often wonder if I'm hiding something by being overweight....or am I just lazy???
brooke26 is offline   Reply With Quote