Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-23-2006, 09:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Default What Kind of Scale Does Everyone Use?

I think I need to buy a new scale. I HOPE that's the problem! I've only been dieting and exercising for a little less than a week (doing Weight Watchers points, but not going back to the meetings so far). I wasn't going to weigh myself until Tuesday morning, and then weigh myself every week thereafter, but I was curious. Well, according to my scale, I've gained 3 pounds since Tuesday. Not possible!! Just not possible!! I shift my weight a tiny bit on that scale, though, and it changes by 2 or 3 pounds. I think I could LOOK at that scale and it would change.

I'm trying not to get discouraged because I know it takes a long time and you have lots of ups and downs on the scale, and I'm already feeling stronger and better (I'd been doing some exercise for a few weeks before the diet thing started on Tuesday). I don't want this to set me back so soon, but even when you know better it's hard not to get discouraged by the slightest little thing. There's that evil little fattie inside myself who wants any old excuse to stop trying and go back to eating everything in sight! I'll always have to fight with her!

Anyway, long story short (too late), what kind of scale do you guys have at home? I can't afford the upright nice ones, but I want one that works. Any ideas? Also.....tell me not to go crazy about that stupid number on the scale anyway!! Sigh...
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 09:59 PM   #2  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I use a Taylor Lithium digital scale - it measures in half pounds, and I've found it to be very accurate (it weighs me the same as the proper upright scale at the gym does). The most important thing to remember when you're weighing yourself is to do it at the same time of day. I'm definitely a scale-junkie, I'll hop on there a few times a day sometimes. The only time I count it though is when I first get up in the morning, and that's the weight I use to see if I'm losing/gaining/staying the same. Throughout the day I can fluctuate from 157 to 161.5, depending on the time of day, if I've eaten, if I've had enough water, among other things. So don't stress too much - it does take time, and our bodies do fluctuate. You're on the right track, and you can definitely do this - the fact that you're feeling healthier and stronger is fantastic. Keep an eye on those changes, as well, 'cause sometimes you can lose inches but not weight. Don't give up - you can always come here when you need a little motivation or support!
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:12 PM   #3  
rethinking myself...

S/C/G: 276/256/175

Height: 5' 11"

I've noticed with my scale that where I put my feet really really matters. I have to put my feet in EXACTLY the same place every day, or I get readings that can vary by 10 lbs. I don't know what kind of scale it is, but it's digital. I almost think I should go back to analog because I never got that much variation from an analog scale.
kittymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:24 PM   #4  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

I use the Taylor Lithium Digital scale also. It also measures in .5 pounds. Very accurate! I love it and it was only about 30.00 at Target. Worth every penny. I used to use a chaper Taylor one and it would change weight everytime I got on and off. Not to mention it weighed me 3 pounds lighter then I actually was.
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:28 PM   #5  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

I use a Health-O-Meter lithium scale, but it fluctuates by 3 pounds each time I get off and then back on!

Fed up with it, I went to the mall and used the GNC store scale. Grrr, I had to adjust my signature and profile because my home scale was saying 209, but the GNC scale was saying 215! What a HUGE bummer and motivation destroyer! So now I will use the GNC scale once a week as soon as they open. I'm going to throw or give away my home scale. It drives me crazy and really bums me out when it fluctuates so much. That 1, 2 or 3 pound difference can kill your spirit and make you want to throw in the towel!

That, or I'll wait until I re-join Bally's and use their scale.

I HATE SCALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:11 PM   #6  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Olivia, did you use the GNC scale the same way you did the one at home? I mean...I weigh in the morning, in jammies, after using the bathroom, and before eating/drinking anything. My guess is that part of the extra from GNC is because you'd likely have weighed at a different time and in different clothes. And if you continue to use it, try to keep it at the same time periods. But if you eat breakfast before you go to GNC, that's going to add some pounds on.

I use one of the cheap Wal*Mart digital scales. It can change a few pounds here and there. But unless I see a steady trend upward, rather than downward, the scale isn't that big of a deal to me. As long as my clothes fit and I keep the figure. I pay more attention to how snug or loose my rings are fitting than to a number on a sillly scale.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 11:40 PM   #7  

Height: 5'6"

Smile

I use the "Thinner" digital scale that weighs in half pound increments. I got it at Bed Bath & Beyond for about $35. It's one of those glass types. It has a sensor in each corner, and I have it on a flat linoleum floor. You have to tap it first, to zero it out, then step on, and wait for it to stop completely. It is VERY consistent. It doesn't matter where my feet are, how I stand, if I get off and get right back on. It weighs the same each and every time.

I love it!

Rainy

Last edited by mrainy; 07-23-2006 at 11:46 PM.
mrainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:02 AM   #8  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

I also use a digital health-o-meter scale. does .5 pound increments.

Mine has little swirls on it, to show you where to put your feet, so I always try to place my feet on that as best as possible. Dunno if that makes a diff.

I weigh every day, but I am a former scale ignorer and THAT obviously didn't work. this IS working. So, whatever works, I figure.
Abbeycat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:48 AM   #9  
Going goal.

S/C/G: 316/ticker/140

Height: 5'6" & 3/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia627
I use a Health-O-Meter lithium scale, but it fluctuates by 3 pounds each time I get off and then back on!

I HATE SCALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ME TOO!! I have a digital health-o-meter and I don't like it very much! I did buy a Weight Watches scale not too long ago, but I didn't like how much it fluctuated so I took it back. Maybe I should try the Taylor one?

Oh, and btw.. when I had my analog scale, it used to say I weighed 13 pounds less than I really was!

So yeah.. I hate scales too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrainy
I use the "Thinner" digital scale that weighs in half pound increments. I got it at Bed Bath & Beyond for about $35. It's one of those glass types. It has a sensor in each corner, and I have it on a flat linoleum floor. You have to tap it first, to zero it out, then step on, and wait for it to stop completely. It is VERY consistent. It doesn't matter where my feet are, how I stand, if I get off and get right back on. It weighs the same each and every time.
That one sounds really good.. I want to look into that!
pixiefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:13 AM   #10  
Lose that Baby Weight!

S/C/G: 172/154/125

Height: 5'2

I use a digital scale. I bought one that would store and track weight for 2 users...although I never use that function. Should have gotten the cheaper model lol.
Stephanie Osborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:20 AM   #11  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

I use an old upright scale that hubby brought home one day. It has to be zeroed all the time to get an accurate reading. I may buy another digital one someday, but not until I am closer to goal............no sense in finding out that my scale isn't right until I can handle the result, LOL
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:22 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 184/183/140

I have a digital scale that measures body fat, weight, BMI. It was NOT cheap and I thought it was pretty nifty when I bought it, but now I think it was a waste of money....all I care about is the weight. I could have bought a much cheaper, simple scale and been fine.
brooke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:54 PM   #13  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I use a cheap sunbeam, digital scale. It goes in 1 pound increments. It does seem that sometimes the placement on the tile or my foot placement can cause a difference. I need a better one and may try one that you all have mentioned.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:28 AM   #14  
mostly harmless

I've got a healthometer scale, this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ance&n=3760901
It's expensive, but worth it. It was driving me crazy with my former scale. It couldn't measure me the same three times in a row. This one is always consistant, no matter where I put my feet. It goes up to 450 lbs, too, with an extra weight thingy that comes with it. We didn't need that and put it in a "safe" place. Well, this summer, my husband wanted to use the scale for weighing in judo competitors for the state games... and we couldn't find the extra weight thingy! We were turning the house upside down looking for that thing, until he finally admitted that all competitors over 300 lbs would be in the same weight catagory anyway. So, we quit looking for it.

If you get one, take GOOD note of where you store the extra weights!
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:49 AM   #15  
Fat-be-gone

I use a digital scale. It weighs in 0.2 pound increments. I looove it. I only got it for 23 bucks on Ebay. Its pretty fashnable looking too. MAde out of tempered glass. and way more accurate than the analog one I used to mess around with.
Rosario is offline   Reply With Quote