Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-21-2006, 06:49 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 6"

Default State of mind

Has anyone noticed that how they feel can completely change their weight? In my case, I've been super stressed for the past few months after a job change, as well as roommate and family issues. This caused me to backslide 10 pounds. It was awful, that made me feel guilty which caused more stress.... a viscious cycle.

Recently one roommate moved out since our lease is up, this particular roommate is very unhealthy and the worst enabler I've ever met. I understand that in the end, it's up to me... but certain types of people can make it a lot harder. He's very overweight (About 400 pounds, 5' 10-11ish), and the type that wants to be healthier but has no will to do it. Joined the gym 10 months ago has been twice. So he flip flops between making statements like "I'd like to do what you're doing and choose healthier options" to making fun of me for choosing the healthier options. Then I found out that the account I work on is moving to a new center my employer is currently building, and are offering a very generous moving package. I've wanted to leave Florida for quite some time, so it's wonderful to be able to do so without the costs involved and a job already lined up.

So the point of this, even without a drastic change in eating habits (though it's much easier to stop the stress eating) or other activities, my weight is dropping. It's happened before... if I feel like I'm going to gain weight or think about weight constantly, I gain weight. How much do you think stress and unhappiness alone (not in combination with eating habits and exercise) applies to weight?
broke away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:59 PM   #2  
pole princess!

S/C/G: 136.5/136.5/107

Height: 4'10"

First, congrats on everything going well!

As for how I feel and weight loss! Well, for me, I have been gung ho for the most part and havnt seen changes. I have been through some stressfull times lately, but quite honestly when I feel things getting out of my control....I try and get it back by focusing on what I can control, which is my eating and exercise habits. But this time it hasnt seemed to be working
Blueyedblond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:38 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I do believe that a person's "state of mind" does affect weight loss. During high stress times, I find it is hard to lose weight. But, when things calm down the weight comes off better. For some reason on the weeks when I was negative and didn't think I would lose any weight, this usually turned out to be the case. When I was relaxed and thought I had lost, I usually did.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:18 PM   #4  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

I personally do not believe my feelings have any affect on my weight. They have a HUGE influence on my perception. My perception can then affect my actions if I let it. I have to constantly remind myself that as long as I keep to what I know is healthy for me then my body will follow...eventually. Perhaps it won't happen on what I think the time line is but I can't control that.
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote