Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-19-2006, 07:58 PM   #1  
Amanda

S/C/G: 238/198/150

Height: 5'4"

Question Strength Training Q

I just started strength training (kind of anyway. I'm doing Jillian Michael's DVD's that are a mixture of strength training and aerobics ) and in one week put of 5 lbs despite no changes in my diet. I realize that some weight gain is to be expected given that the muscle being built up weights more than fat, but should i be putting on that much in just one week? And how soon can i look for the scales to start going back down?
thanks,
Fluffy
Fluffy Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:43 PM   #2  
Mel

You can't build 5 pounds of muscle in one week, but you can retain 5 pounds of water. Are you eating differently? More sodium? If you are anywhere near where I live in PA, it's been HOT and HUMID. If you don't consciously up your water intake in this weather and iwth the extra exercise, you'll actually retain water.

How is your nutrition? maybe you are letting yourself nibble a bit more because you are exercising?

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 11:20 AM   #3  

No matter how much I drink, if I exercise hard enough to be sore from a workout, my muscles retain a lot of water, which will show an increase on the scale. The weight goes back down as the soreness goes away.
1TiredGradStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 02:39 PM   #4  

Height: 5' 8.5"

I agree with gradstudent. Whenever I do a really hard strength training workout I retain water for a few days. Around the time the soreness goes away for me, the water weight comes off too. And, like Mel said too, you can't gain that much muscle in 1 week and you do need to drink plenty of water to keep your body from trying to hold on to extra water.

Keep it up and you'll notice results!
djstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:34 AM   #5  
Being lazy is easier!

S/C/G: 224/216/170

Height: 5' 7"

I'm so glad I found this thread! I had fallen off for a few months due to an auto accident at the end of March, and I have just last week gotten back in the swing of things. After a week at the gym (on my lunch breaks, no less), I stepped on the scale, and I went UP 3 lbs! I knew that it couldn't be three lbs of muscle, and I knew that I was eating exactly the same (if not better, replacing soda with water much more!).
Thanks for the info! And off to the gym I go!
amykay9377 is offline   Reply With Quote