Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-16-2006, 09:33 AM   #1  
Baby steps...

S/C/G: 180/180/135

Height: 5 feet 4.5 inches

Default Family Reunion = Disaster

I am still a newbie to 3FC and also to my new lifestyle plans (which I kicked into gear on July 13). Yesterday was our family reunion and it was a disaster.

I went into it saying that I would have "just one" of my favorites (ribs, crabs, etc) and ended up throwing that out the window and having EIGHT ribs, one crab (mostly because picking crabs is too much work ), about 6 pieces of chocolate candy, a big bowl of ice cream...

At this early stage of making changes, should I just avoid social situations altogether?! For the days leading up to the reunion I'd been eating well because it was easy not to be tempted at work.

Are there any secrets -- besides getting some willpower -- that allow you to enjoy a social situation where the main point is to eat, but not overeat even though everyone else is?
Kris in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:46 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 154/145/125

i think you started out right-- by having a plan to allow yourself one treat. you also said you are new to all of this, so it is understandable that you went a little overboard (although it doesn't sound like a HUGE disaster to me but i have no clue how much 8 ribs are). every event is a struggle, but it will get easier.

avoiding social situations is NOT the answer! you need them to practice your new habits. it's kind of like practicing riding a bike without the training wheels-- you'll fall from time to time but you'll progress faster than if you ALWAYS kept the spare wheels on. social events are real life, and you shouldn't have to hide from that.

i think i'm lucky that my family does not get all into food at social parties. we don't have that many big eaters, and there are no aunts to push their cheesecake/cake/lasagne/whatever-fattening-dish on us. my family has its own neuroses, but that would be for a forum on another website!

so, before any event with food, i figure out what food will be there. i do this even before going to eat out at a restaurant. i then plan what fits into my daily intake goal, usually allowing for a few special items that i would normally avoid. at the event, i keep my hands busy with a glass of water. i just eat one plate of food. and i try to concentrate on socializing-- this can be hard if i am feeling nervous, because all i want to do then is to keep myself busy by eating.

i hope this helps. it's a struggle for everyone, and you'll have many more chances to improve. also, try to figure out WHY you ate so much-- did you sit near the food, near people who ate alot, did you get to the event too earlier and had too much spare time?

kate
kms7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:20 AM   #3  
Beam me up Scotty!

S/C/G: 310/218/140

Height: 5'6"

One of the things that has always been suggested to me (and works for me) is to eat something on your plan before you go so you're not that hungry. Have a nice salad with some lean protein and then anything you have there will at least be just a "topper" as it were, and not the only thing you've had.

I know it may be hard to do, but taking some of your own snacks could help too. Frankly, at a family reunion, there are probably other people in the same boat and may even appreciate your struggle and help! We are not that strange in our lifestyle change these days. There are A LOT of people doing it!
cantforgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:32 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I just got back from my family reunion as well. Okay, mine lasted 3 days, plus the drive time to get there and back, so a total of 9 days. I gained 2.5 pounds while I was away (probably due to the fact that I couldn't weigh myself daily, so I couldn't gauge what I could eat). Anyway, it's back on the bandwagon for me! I will get to my goal! I will!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 11:02 AM   #5  

What I try to do is limit myself to one *type* of food that doesn't have too many calories, not one serving because if the point is to eat I'm going to want to munch the whole time. I always pick seafood if it's there, crabs, shrimp, grilled fish. Since I'm in MD too I usually stick with crabs if they are available because A) I love crabs and B) they are like the perfect food. If you look at the nutritional info on crabs they are quite low in calories and extremely high in protein. So if I wanted I could spend practically all day picking crabs and I wouldn't have messed anything up. Plus it takes a lot of crabs to fill you up if you're not eating anything else.

Last edited by holicanmc; 07-16-2006 at 05:45 PM.
holicanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 184/183/140

Height: 5'3"

A plan definietly is improtant, but I've also found coming prepared is good. I usually will bring a fruit or veggie tray so I know there will be at least ONE thing I can fill up on....

You didn't do terribly....it's just one little day....no worries.
brooke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 04:38 PM   #7  

I have a planned day off for these sort of things. I try and plan to eat moderately, but if it goes out the window I just relax about it, and get back to normal the following day.

The crab would have been the healthier choice and kept you busy for a while!!!

Also if you are going to a big do, I think eating a good breakfast before you go is a good way of avoiding a binge, and try to find something to do at your event, whether it be playing with the kids, helping to clear up, something to keep you away from the food.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote