Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-14-2006, 08:31 AM   #1  
Aleecia

Default Feel like I'm spiraling out of control-HELP!

Morning Everyone.

So I'm not one to whine and complain but I feel like I'm losing control. Today is 5 months now that I have been working at losing weight and for some reason this week my eating has been horrible. I feel like maybe I'm slipping back into my old habits again.
It started on Monday and each day it has gotten worse and worse. I don't know if I'm just sabbotaging myself or I just need a swift kick!
I keep telling myself that, "Oh its just one day and I'll get back on plan tomorrow". We'll it's Friday and I can't get a handle on my eating.
I am so scared that all of the hard work that I have done will go right down the tubes if I don't do something fast. This morning I got up and just had that yucky feeling like I had eaten everything in site for the past 4 days. I felt like I hadn't lost any weight at all. Very discouraging.
I just know I can't go back now, I have worked so hard and I have so many people supporting me. I would'nt want them to be disappointed in me.
I am still exercising everyday, but not with 100% effort like I was.
I don't know if I'm just losing my motivation or if I just scared of changing.
Well sorry for the temper tantrum. Thanks for listening.

I guess what I'm asking for is any advice on how I can dig myself out of this hole before it completely consumes me.
Has anyone else been in this situation, ( which I'm sure everyone has). How do you get through it, what remotivates you.
Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #2  

Everyone has been through that. Some things that help...

Take a week off from exercising every 2-4 months. That helps to keep you from getting worn out. I try to plan my breaks around visiting my daughters. I took last week off because it was my high school reunion.

Allow yourself time to cheat. Last Wednesday night I couldn't stop eating. I was starved. But I was back on track yesterday.

I use a spreadsheet to log everything I've eaten, including the pigging out. To lie in the log would be lying to myself. That helps keep me on track. You can then pinpoint the items of food you could have not had. Our minds play tricks on us when we feel deprived. 'I've been so good; I deserve one piece of cheesecake'. But when it's in black and white in front of you, you can't ignore it.

Get rid of the junk. The only 'junk' I keep is low-fat crackers. If I start digging into them, they are not too bad.

If I'm tired, I will eat more. I try to go to bed early one night a week to catch up on my sleep. That one pays dividends. I don't realize how exhausted I am until after a good night's sleep.

Hope this helps...
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #3  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Something tells me that you are not eating something your body needs...
Are you getting quality protein?

One thing that works for me when I find myself eating wrong and shunning exercise is to eat some fish... fatty fish like wild mackerel. As a matter of fact, yesterday I ate a whole can... didn't cook it or add anything.. just ate it. I felt so great afterwards and still do. It helped with my workouts and definately helped control my eating.

Just a thought. I know you'll find what works for you.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #4  

I've lost motivation several times and I've noticed it is difficult for me to get it back again. Recently I downloaded a whole bunch of episodes of The Biggest Loser. When I find myself feeling unmotivated, especially with respect to working out, I watch an episode or two. Seeing all the contestants work so hard and seeing the super-in-shape trainers makes me want to jump up and get on my treadmill.
holicanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:47 AM   #5  

Height: 5' 7"

Angela, I was where you are a few weeks ago, and I was starting to get scared.
Then, I finally had my cholesterol measured, and it's higher than it should be.

So, I started looking at what I was really eating - I joined FitDay, and started logging everything that came in contact with my lips. And I went to sites here on 3fatchicks that I don't ordinarily read, and read EVERYTHING. I went to Prevention online, and read a bunch of posts there. Then I went out and got myself some books on managing cholesterol - which is really about managing fat intake, diet and exercise, and have been devouring them.

I'm back on track again.

I needed to revisit where I was coming from, and recommit to WHY I started in the first place - to get healthy.

Sue
KristasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:14 PM   #6  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I am just getting out of where you are now.

What started it for me was when I moved, we had no food in the new house while painting so I was ordering in, eats tons of chips, donuts and all that. I am working on getting back on my eat now but have stopped exercising. I was exercising EVERYDAY and let me tell you - this week off has been great. The thing that got me the most, is I have been losing weight quicker in the last week then I have been in the last 6 months. I have lost more weight this week then any other week. Maybe my body need a break? Or the change from doing good - doing bad - going good gave it some kind of jump start.

Not all is lost, you are here and you are aware of what is happening, YOU WILL BE OKAY!

One thing I got to help me was a little calendar, I put stickers everyday I stay under my calories (1700) and every sticker is worth 2$ towards new clothes. It has helped me. I think I need to do the same with exercise if I don't get back at it.

I also usually allow myself 1 day a week (sometimes its two) to go over calories a bit. I dont pig out all day but I eat a bit higher (100-300 calories usually) and don't worry about it.

Give that a try, I know you can do it - look how far you have come! 1 pound away from 30 - I hit my 30 pounds gone mark yesterday and it feels AMAZING! It was like 29 pounds no big deal, and then BOOM! WOW I LOST 30!! it was a whole new motivation!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:22 PM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

One thing that helped me when I felt like I was "spiraling out of control" was to sit down and write a list of the reasons I started this lifestyle change in the first place. It helped my motivation and got me back on track. You have done so well and I have faith that you can pick it back up. Good luck and best wishes for your renewed determination and success.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:33 PM   #8  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical
getting back on my eat now
That's a good way to put it! What I do when I get in that situation is I say, "What did I do differently when I was losing?" and I start doing it again. For me, it usually means:
  • looking at old lists of what I ate for meals on the weeks I lost
  • getting to the store and loading up on a few fresh vegetables, fruits, lean protein and dense grains
  • cutting up those vegetables and fruits and putting them in serving-size containers
  • making my coffee at home in the morning instead of stopping at Starbucks
  • planning to drink my daily water allotment
  • prepare, prepare, prepare

Hang in there! 30 pounds didn't come off over night, and it won't come back on because of one binge. You know what you did to put it on, and you know what you did to take it off.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think it helps to explore why this is happening. Courtnie struggled because of a change in lifestyle, sometimes stress does it, sometimes we find we are not eating the amount or kind of food we can "for life" (so are you trying to life on too few calories? or restricting something your body needs?)

Frustrating as this is, use this as an opportunity to root out why you are slipping. It may help you find the answer.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 02:51 PM   #10  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel33
Morning Everyone.

So I'm not one to whine and complain but I feel like I'm losing control. Today is 5 months now that I have been working at losing weight and for some reason this week my eating has been horrible. I feel like maybe I'm slipping back into my old habits again.
It started on Monday and each day it has gotten worse and worse. I don't know if I'm just sabbotaging myself or I just need a swift kick!
I keep telling myself that, "Oh its just one day and I'll get back on plan tomorrow". We'll it's Friday and I can't get a handle on my eating.

Maybe your body is telling you really need a break. changing your lifestyle (I don't liek the word dieting) is mentally (and physically at times) draining. I think you should just let yourself have this week as you week off...NO GUILT!!!!!!!! you might find that by taking away the guilt, that once monday comes, you are able to get back on plan with no effort.... I think it the guilt that maybe driving you...

just my 2 cents...hang in there
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:13 PM   #11  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitgal2
changing your lifestyle (I don't liek the word dieting) is mentally (and physically at times) draining.
Fact! I've compared my health initiative to a part-time job! From someone who spent as little time as possible on food (i.e., tons of fast food and convenience foods), cooking, planning, shopping, and exercising is quite a time-consuming jump!

Add to that all of the positive attention, changes, and doing things we've never done before (or not done for a very long time), and yes ... draining, exhilarating, exhausting, and exciting!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:19 PM   #12  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
Fact! I've compared my health initiative to a part-time job! From someone who spent as little time as possible on food (i.e., tons of fast food and convenience foods), cooking, planning, shopping, and exercising is quite a time-consuming jump!

Add to that all of the positive attention, changes, and doing things we've never done before (or not done for a very long time), and yes ... draining, exhilarating, exhausting, and exciting!
Wow... what a statement!!!!! Amen to that!
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 03:50 PM   #13  
Aleecia

Thanks everyone!
As tough as this week has been all of your encouraging words have helped pick me back up. I don't think I could have gotten as far as I have without talking with all of the people at 3FC. Thanks again. You have all given me some really job ideas on how I can refocus my efforts.

I CAN DO THIS AND I WILL!!!!!!!!!

I have decided to chalk this week as a rest week or a vacation week and I will start fresh on Monday.
Angel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 04:39 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel33
Morning Everyone.

I think you're going to be just fine - because you SEE what you're doing. Previously, when I would spiral out of control, I would deliberately STOP LOOKING. At food, at myself, at the scale, at how my clothes were fitting. I would bury my head in the sand and pretend it wasn't happening. You aren't doing that!!

Plan a week's worth of healthy food (all meals, snacks). Find some cool new recipes on line, plan out exactly what foods you will need for all the meals you will prepare, then go to the store, buy the stuff. If you're planning veggie snacks, bag them up. If you're going to have goldfish crackers, bag them into portion sizes. If you're going to pack lunches, pack them up. If you bought cherries, put them into baggies for each day. Pick a nice reward for yourself if you stick to plan for the week (a pedicure? new summer sandals?). Stick to the plan, reward yourself, repeat for the next week. Keep it up until bagging veggies on Sunday night while watching Grey's Anatomy IS the habit.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 11:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87
Keep it up until bagging veggies on Sunday night while watching Grey's Anatomy IS the habit.
I actually find my new habits give me an excuse to indulge in some of these 'guilty pleasures' guilt free. I don't watch Alias -- I'm just working out on the treadmill, and the Alias DVD just happens to be on in the background every time
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote