Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #1  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Default Diet ADD??

I swear, sometimes I have Diet ADD!! I can't seem to stick with a plan long enough to make it a lifestyle! I've been doing a liquid diet (with success), but I'm so BORED with it!

I've done so many different ones in the past. I'll stick with it for maybe three or four months, and then my mind and resolve start wandering. I've been looking at the Sonoma diet now....SHEESH another book to read!

Am I alone in this? Is there any hope for my wanderin' mind and expanding waistline??
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Before, I would start diets and have all these plans for what I would do, what I would eat, calories per day, how I would write it down, how I would be perfect. I could stick to it for a couple of days or maybe a month, never long term. I never thought about long term or keeping weight off or my health, all I wanted to do was lose weight. When I changed the focus from NOT eating bad foods to eating GOOD foods for my long term health, it made a really positive difference.

I read a book (ooh another book!) that made the science of nutrition accessible to me. With four grandparents dying very young (diabetes, cancer, cancer, alzheimers), and my own ever-upward weight, I wanted to do something to ward off disease/effects of aging. Blueberries for the brain, nuts to prevent heart disease, spinach for the eyes, yogurt for the gut, tomatoes to reduce the effects of aging and protect from sun damage - it all made sense.

The day I read that book, I decided I was going to eat at least 10 of those super foods every day. I was concentrating so hard on fitting in all those foods (sweet potato, soy, tea, turkey, walnuts, oats/whole grains), there just wasn't time to fit in a lot of non-super foods.

The results were dramatic and immediate. I dropped a lot of weight quickly and my energy skyrocketed. That's all it took to stay motivated, just how incredible I felt.

I used to eat nothing but junk. Muffins and a full fat latte for breakfast, pizza for lunch, M&Ms and another latte in the afternoon, Taco Bell or Freschetta pizza for dinner. I didn't eat "a lot" - I eat more frequently now, but I ate nothing but garbage. Going from a diet of overly processed crap to practically nothing but whole foods was an amazing change.

If you lose resolve, you haven't picked the diet that you CAN stay with forever. It has to be something sustainable, something with foods you enjoy eating, something that doesn't make you feel overly deprived. I made changes to some foods (whole wheat tortillas in my quesadilla, less cheese) and found other foods I liked just as much (baked sweet potatoes, red peppers, fresh raspberries).

Good luck - I did spend 20 years searching for something to help me lose weight, so I definitely know the feeling of trying different things to see what's working!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 04:28 PM   #3  
Nancy

S/C/G: 353/T/168

Height: 5'3"

Someone on another board I read just posted something about this recently:
http://www.addvance.com/help/adults/weight.html

I also found this study which says that many of the patients studied had ADHD (the higher the BMI the greater the correlation) and those with it had a harder time losing than those who didn't have it:
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...i?artid=130024

Why not move around to different things if that is what works for you? It is all about finding what works for you and if that means constantly trying new things, then why not?
NotTheCheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 05:14 PM   #4  
Shairing her ESH...

Glory: Just what is THAT BOOK??
Old 06-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #5  

Super Foods Rx: 14 Foods That Will Change Your Life. It really did change my life, good recipes too

Most of the foods have "sidekick" foods that offer similar, beneficial properties. For example, blueberries include strawberries, raspberries and walnuts would include almonds and other nuts. Pumpkin is hard to eat, but the sidekicks are carrots, orange peppers and sweet potatoes which are much easier to work in.

Beans -- reduce obesity
Blueberries -- lower risk for cardiovascular disease
Broccoli -- lowers the incidence of cataracts and fights birth defects
Oats -- reduce the risk of type II diabetes
Oranges -- prevent strokes
Pumpkin -- lowers the risk of various cancers
Wild salmon -- lowers the risk of heart disease
Soy -- lowers cholesterol
Spinach -- decreases the chance of cardiovascular disease and age-related macular degeneration
Tea -- helps prevent osteoporosis
Tomatoes -- raise the skin's sun protection factor
Turkey -- helps build a strong immune system
Walnuts -- reduce the risk of developing coronary heart disease, diabetes, and cancer
Old 06-29-2006, 05:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm going to have to check that book out! Thanks, Glory. Jen...a lot of the foods that Glory listed are foods that the Sonoma diet recommends, too.
lovemygordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:25 PM   #7  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87
Before, I would start diets and have all these plans for what I would do, what I would eat, calories per day, how I would write it down, how I would be perfect. I could stick to it for a couple of days or maybe a month, never long term. I never thought about long term or keeping weight off or my health, all I wanted to do was lose weight. When I changed the focus from NOT eating bad foods to eating GOOD foods for my long term health, it made a really positive difference.
That sounds like a good focus... I've done that, too, and yes, it does help (altho I submit that NOTHING helps me during that TOM...)

Quote:
I read a book (ooh another book!) that made the science of nutrition accessible to me. With four grandparents dying very young (diabetes, cancer, cancer, alzheimers), and my own ever-upward weight, I wanted to do something to ward off disease/effects of aging.
That's my main focus, too. My hubby & I don't have children, and we'll be responsible for taking care of us well into our golden years. I don't want to be some statistic in a nursing home, sitting in my own poop because I couldn't go to the bathroom on my own & no one was there to help me...

Quote:
Blueberries for the brain,
OMG! For some reason, that particular sentence just had me ROTFLMAO!!! "Blueberries for the brain"... Tee Hee!!!

Quote:
nuts to prevent heart disease, spinach for the eyes, yogurt for the gut, tomatoes to reduce the effects of aging and protect from sun damage - it all made sense.
It DOES all make sense, altho there is no solid evidence that these foods prevent anything, I do believe that what we eat has a direct effect on our bodies and minds.

Quote:
Going from a diet of overly processed crap to practically nothing but whole foods was an amazing change.
I'll bet! Isn't the energy level just awesome? I felt that way last summer. But alas, after eating some junk when I was injured & couldn't exercise for 4 months, the weight crept back on & now I'm finding it harder to get back to my "way healthy" lifestyle...

Oh, and BTW... thanks for sharing your wisdom & that book - I think I will definitely purchase it!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:09 PM   #8  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

I have ADD in all aspects of my life it seems like, I think it's becoming a cultural thing. My problem is close, although my "plan" has been the same for about 2 years now, it seems like some days I can stay focused and on plan really easy. Then others I am in some kind of rut of bad eating that I just can't seem to stop. Like my brain is afraid the world's supply of ice cream is going to run out so I'd better eat as much as I can. Then, just this last week it "clicked" again and I feel like I could go forever without fast foods or sweets. I just can't explain it, it is on again off again with me, wish I could hang on to that "click" feeling with more permanence but I just have to hope I can hang on to it longer this time.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:29 PM   #9  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415
Am I alone in this? Is there any hope for my wanderin' mind and expanding waistline??
Yep. Stop the diets and make permanent lifestyle changes you can live with.

Been there done that with the diets. They only made me fatter. When I decided to simply change my lifestyle, drop the diets and count my calories, that's when I finally dropped the weight.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 10:42 PM   #10  
LLV

In fact, read this right here, hon. One of the most informative posts I've seen. I hope she doesn't mind me 'using' her

This is exactly what I did. And those veggie burgers are awesome! I make a mock "Big Mac" on occasion.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...00&postcount=2
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:17 PM   #11  
Have you exercised today?

S/C/G: 271/170/170

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the book recommendation Glory. Steven Pratt has 2 Superfoods books. I put them both on hold at my library.
FairyWinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #12  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Jen, I get bored with the foods I eat (really, I guess I mean the meals). I find it easier to lose weight when I stick to a small number of types of meals (that I know are tried and true). But then after a while I have to switch because I just can't eat the same things all the time.

I've seen glory's list before, and from a common sense point of view it looks like a great way to eat. really healthy and tasty. I eat a lot of those foods, not all (like salmon and walnuts).

you can put pumpkin in red beans and pink beans, my mil does that and I do like it.

anyhoo, it makes sense to me that any way of eating that is too much the same all the time is going to get boring (that said, bf can eat the same things all the time and it doesn't bother him! haha)
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 05:55 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
In fact, read this right here, hon. One of the most informative posts I've seen. I hope she doesn't mind me 'using' her

This is exactly what I did. And those veggie burgers are awesome! I make a mock "Big Mac" on occasion.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...00&postcount=2
If you like the veggie burgers, have you tried the steak strips? They make the best "steak" soft tacos. I love them!!!
Old 07-01-2006, 08:45 PM   #14  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Oh, Jen, seems to be just another way we are alike I think everyone goes through similar spurts--kinda like we get all gung ho about it and then we get bored with the routine and go off after a few days, weeks, months, what have you. I think I would especially get bored with a mostly liquid diet--congrats to you for sticking to it as long as you have already And I know what LLV said is true, that this needs to be a lifestyle change and not a diet, but I even get bored with the ways in which I've tried to change my lifestyle, ya know? Like I've tried not eating out as often--that should be a good lifestyle change, right? But I really hate cooking, and not eating out as often kinda drives me crazy, so I end up right back at the restaurants after a while. Or eating more veggies--I have been making soups and salads and stuff lately in an effort to add veggies into my diet, which should be a good lifestyle change, right? But I get tired of forcing myself to eat the veggies, so I just kinda gradually stop using them in my meals. Ya know, I never got bored with eating fast food, pizza, Chinese take-out, and cheap processed junk It was a simple matter of getting bored with nacho Doritoes and switching to cool ranch But now it feels like no matter how I cook my chicken, it's always chicken, ya know? I do stir-fries, baked chicken, soups, wraps...but it's always chicken. I don't know. I know I'm not helping at all except to say that no, you're absolutely not alone. At least with just good ol' calorie counting I can have whatever I want so long as I count the calories. Maybe that's better than cutting out certain foods all together? I'm sure you've tried it before, but it's the only semi-helpful suggestion I can come up with. In any case, know you're not alone in your frustration
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:45 AM   #15  
Shairing her ESH...

Thanks for all your responses. It's nice to know I'm not alone!

I can already think of areas I have changed in my lifestyle, such as my exercise. I also know that I do better when I eat more protein and less sugar.

The one thing I think everyone agreed on: counting calories. Because in the end, that is all that matters--calories in, calories out.

Thanks, y'all!