Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-05-2006, 11:57 AM   #1  
AGR

S/C/G: 228/199/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Lost 29 lbs. and no one notices!!

Hello! I'm new to the forum (have been visiting as a guest). I'm 31 yrs., 5'4", 199.2 pounds. I started at 228.4 in early April and am on my way to 130. Although I am doing this for myself, it would still be nice if someone noticed my weight loss. I'm down just over 29 pounds and no one in my office has said a thing about my weight loss. Has this happended to anyone else? How much did you have to lose before anyone noticed? Thanks!
AGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:04 PM   #2  

I have found that when I am losing weight, the last people to notice my change in size (besides me) are those who see me everyday. But people who haven't seen me in weeks or months, usually notice right away - or at least notice that *something* has changed LOL. At this point, my husband cannot tell a difference, other than my clothes fit really lose. But my mom, who I haven't seen in a month can tell right away that I have lost weight.
Also, no one notices if I don't wear clothes that show I have lost inches - my current problem is that I am not down a whole size yet, but all of my clothes that I have been wearing fit weird and are really baggy. Oh well, better to be baggy than too tight.
buckettgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:07 PM   #3  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Don't feel too bad! - my friend, who is obese, has lost 32 pounds. I hadn't seen her in about 6 or so months. I THOUGHT it looked like she'd lost SOME weight, but I was afraid to mention it, for fear that maybe she hadn't, or maybe she didn't want to talk about it, etc. So I said nothing.

Later on, she mentioned it, and said "Can't you tell?" .... well, of course, I was semi-mortified! - because I'm all about supporting my friends in their endeavors! - so I explained to her that YES I could tell, and I wasn't "just saying that" to make her feel better, and congratulated her & wished her good luck in this long & hard road.

So take heart... maybe lots of people CAN TELL that you've lost weight, & they may just be a little shy to say so.
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I started at 234 lbs. and it took losing 30 lbs. before anyone really noticed. I could tell the difference myself especially in my legs, hips and face. Sometimes people do notice and are afraid to say anything.. Keep up the great work and everyone will soon notice.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #5  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I started at 215 and I am down 28 pounds. I took pictures of me at 210 and 190 and there was a HUGE difference even though NO ONE had said a word to me. And then:

One day I was sitting down with the two people I work closest with and we said something about eating healthy and they asked me how much I had lost, (about 22 at that time) and I told them and they said, yah I can totally see a difference.

Another day I was with my dad and I said something about the before and after pictuers and I couldn't believe the HUGE difference that 20 pounds made and he said to me, "well I noticed right away, but I am not good at saying stuff like that and didn't know what to say."

When I compared the pictures I showed my boyfriend I was in such a huge shock and he just smiled and said I noticed.

The ONLY person who said something on their own was my mom, and I KNOW it was just because she felt she had to, haha.

So even if you think people don't notice, believe me THEY DO!!!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:20 PM   #6  
Starting Fresh

Oh, I just wanted to say, if you aren't already, TAKE PICTURES!!
Old 07-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #7  
LLV

Nobody really noticed my loss till I was down about 40 pounds. When you're that heavy (I started about where you did) it takes quite a bit of weight before there's a noticable difference.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:32 PM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

It took almost a 40 pounds loss for people to start commenting and they only noticed in my face anyway. I noticed bones sticking out and a flatter tummy and that itty bitty space where my thighs used to rub together looooooong before the comments picked up. Do you notice? Because once you start noticing those little things, your attitude can change and people definitely notice that.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I think now that I've lost 95 pounds it's safe to say that people notice. But many say nothing -- for many of the reasons outlined above.

And when I went home at Christmas I had lost 50 pounds and my own mother didn't even notice! sheesh!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:43 PM   #10  
Starting Fresh

wyllenn - I just noticed how close you are to One-derland! Way to go!!! You must be sooooo excited! <--- for you! hehe
Old 07-05-2006, 12:47 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Courtnie -- yep, I'm knocking at the Onederland door! Though I have learned it's not Wonderland -- things don't get perfect when you get there!

I AM excited! I am thrilled by my increased energy and stamina... not to mention the smaller clothes. One year ago I was into size 30!!! And now a 16W (18 reg).

Wonder where I'll be a year from now??!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:54 PM   #12  
Starting Fresh

Yah, there really aren't perfect and it really is just a number. But I am sure happy with the smaller clothes!! haha

I think a year from now you will be at your goal weight and well on your way to maintaining!
Old 07-05-2006, 01:40 PM   #13  

I started at 258. People started noticing when I lost 30 pounds. If you started lighter than me, and lost the same amount, then certainly there is a noticable difference. Perhaps the people around you are just shyer about mentioning it.

I do agree that you should take pictures. I hated having my picture taken before I started losing, but now I wish I had just one solid "before" pic to see how far I've come.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:20 PM   #14  

Well, besides all that...people don't know how you will take it if they mention it. As I have said many times, I HATE when people notice if I have lost weight. HATE IT! I get embarrased and flustered and I turn red, because I figure..."What the heck are you doing looking at my body?" I hate to admit it, but I actually get p*ssed if anybody mentions it.

In that vein, I would never say to a co-worker that I noticed they have lost weight. That puts them under pressure to keep doing it. It makes them think I am watching them or looking at them every day.

Maybe that is why no one is saying anything.
mudbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:55 PM   #15  
AGR

S/C/G: 228/199/130

Height: 5'4"

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I am noticing the difference in myself and I should definitely take more pictures. I have some "before" but no "during" pics yet. My in-laws are coming tomorrow (haven't seen them since Christmas) so it will be interesting to see if they say anything. My husband has lost 35 lbs. and will be heart broken if they don't notice (he was 245, now 210). He has been so dedicated ever since they said they were coming to visit. The weight has just melted off his stomach -- too bad it doesn't happen that way for women! Thanks again for all your thoughts on this.
AGR is offline   Reply With Quote