Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-02-2006, 01:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/170/140

Height: 5'8"

Exclamation Help, I dont know what Im doing to myself

Im 22. After high school I gained about 50 pounds because Of my desk job and no exercise and now Im trying to get rid of it. Ive been working out daily but I KNOW for a fact Ive been doing this wrong. Im just not sure how to go about it, what to eat, how much... and all that stuff. So I know Its Not good at all but I havent ate any type of solid food since April 25th, from then until now Ive just drank tea, water, juice, milk, took vitamins, exercised and thats about it. I think I just gave up on eating because I couldnt do it right, so I dont want to do it at all. Sure I WANT to eat, my stomach growls and I crave food but I think I'll just get fatter if I eat. I dont know where to start. Plus it seems to be working, Im beginning to lose weight and people are noticing.
StarRiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:06 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 192/179/130

It is a hard thing to even know where to start. I am 25 and after having my son two years ago I had put on about 60 pounds after being unhappy with myself for the past two years and making excusses I decided I am sick of being overweight and unhappy. I decided to go to a personal trainer she did up some programs for me and went over what I should be taking in for calories. It is still hard trying to find foods that fit into the healthy categories. Start reading labels and finding out what the calorie count is, sodium level, fat and sugars are. The best way to grocery shop is to stick to the outskirts of the grocery store where the food is fresh. I would definitly recommend you start eatting because you cannot go on with just drinking fluids forever and when you start to eat again you will probably gain weight. A good tip is to not diet. Just simply watch what you eat and set up a good workout routine. My advice is to take pictures of yourself in a bathing suit every couple of weeks and take measurements because these are the two things that don't lie about the progress you are making. The scale is not always correct because if you are working out you will probably be gaining muscle. I don't know if this will help you but I hope you start eatting because you dont want to get sick.
canadiancutiepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:20 AM   #3  

the way im thinking is all messed up. The way I began doing this was funny, I saw Oprah (wich I usually never watch) But it happened to be an episode of her talking about how she starved herself for 3 months and lost 60 pounds and I thought... hey , I could do that. She did it and shes fine, But unlike her I wont go eating hamburgers and fried everything after, I'll control myself.
I dont actually plan to do it for that long, just until May 14th (I choose that day because My family will all be around and wondering why im not eating (mothers day)
Old 05-02-2006, 03:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

StarRiot, I think you realize that what you are doing is wrong. You're body probably went into shock and then into starvation mode, where it will not lose anything at all and keeps burning calories to a minimum.
You're 22, healthy, and already doing exercise which is wonderfull. What you need now is a portion-controlled, healthy, low fat, low cal diet.
Starving yourself and liquid diets are not the way to lose weight perminantly. You'll probably lose quickly but most likely you'll gain it all back quicker!
Try to focus on healthy foods, healthy protiens: chicken, turkey, beans. Fruits and Veggies. Grains and High fiber breads, no white breads or refined carbs. Try to cut back on chocolate, cookies, chips, fast greasy food..etc
You'll find lots of recources here on the forum and on other websites
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 06:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

StarRiot, hello and welcome. You are absolutely correct! There is soooo much weightloss information out there that it can make your head spin!

You just keep coming back to 3fc. We'll help you find something that works. It may not be super fast but it'll work. And we'll keep you healthy enough to enjoy it!

Keep asking questions. Tell us a few good foods that you really enjoy.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:20 AM   #6  

I love all food lol except Liver Yuck.
My favorite is Sushi. 2nd favorite is pasta and all that fattening cheesy greasy food.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:08 AM   #7  
Working on Hot!

S/C/G: 242/225/175

Try Whole Wheat pasta in the place of the white pasta...I cant do Sushi...Yuck!!! I love tuna...but any fish is good.
la3y_un1c0rn_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:04 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Star Welcome back to 3fc... We spoke the other night in chat, remember? The best way to start is to do it baby steps, eat healthy, exercise, drink water... We are here to help you but if you feel you need someone more qualified go to see a counsellor, please!

Oprah did it, not eat for 3 months, but she did eat something she was on a liquid SlimFast. You may "think" you won't go to eating junk after you finish your fast, but if you don't have the coping skills with food which you will learn if you see a nutritionist or councellor, you WILL go back to your old eating habits... Even Oprah with all the $$ she has could not do it alone, still can't, she has a cook, a personal trainer, doctors, etc, and even she has a difficult time with food....

Don't fast or starve yourself your beautiful hair will start falling out, your skin will dry up, all because of lack of nutrients in your body...

Please go seek help, we are here to help you but we are only a stepping stone...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:09 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarRiot
the way im thinking is all messed up. The way I began doing this was funny, I saw Oprah (wich I usually never watch) But it happened to be an episode of her talking about how she starved herself for 3 months and lost 60 pounds and I thought... hey , I could do that. She did it and shes fine, But unlike her I wont go eating hamburgers and fried everything after, I'll control myself.
I dont actually plan to do it for that long, just until May 14th (I choose that day because My family will all be around and wondering why im not eating (mothers day)

You won't have to eat hamburgers and fried everything afterward to see the pounds come back. The weight will start to come back on when you start eating ANY kind of real food because your body will have figured out a way to survive on next to nothing. When it finally gets a few calories, it will hold onto them for dear life (literally) and the pounds will come back on faster than they left (and will probably bring some friends in case the famine hits again). Then all of your suffering would have just put you in a worse place than you started. Please don't do that to yourself! Lose weight slowly and stay healthy. Your body will reward you in the end. Surf the boards here at 3FC. There are many people here who have successfully lost a lot of weight and kept it off. No, it didn't happen overnight, but very few things that are worthwhile do.
1TiredGradStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #10  

Why not check out some books from your local library and READ about what is healthy? There are so many, and the library is free. I think there is a plan ANYONE can live with. I do Sugar Busters, and it fits well for me, even after being diagnosed as a diabetic. Weight Watchers is excellent, there is South Beach, Protein Power, Atkins, Sonoma Diet.....Spend some time researching, and if you have the willpower to NOT eat, you DO have the willpower to eat right. You just lack motivation. Remember you did not gain your weight in a week, so give yourself time to lose it! If you want, check out Body For Life, or one I really like is Joyce Vedral's Fat Burning Workout. Both combine training, aerobics, AND healthy diet. Starving yourself is not good. You know that. When I was your age, I did that kind of thing a lot. I would fast for a week, lose 10 pounds, start to eat and gain it all back. Now, I battle metabolic syndrome and have become diabetic. How I long to go back 20 or 30 years and do it the right way! Please don't set yourself up for serious metabolic problems down the pike...eat healthy now!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 05:25 PM   #11  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Read, read, read!! There's a wealth of info right here on 3FC, ask questions, talk to others about what they're doing. Don't do anything crazy! I know it can seem very overwhelming to start something new, but just educate yourself as much as you can and you'll be in the swing of it in no time!
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 08:01 PM   #12  
WW Moderator

StarRiot!! I know just how you feel. It can really be a desperate feeling, huh?? Oprah did lose weight fast, and she also gained it back fast. Like Ilene said, it was also a medically supervised fast of liquids that were bursting with protein and nutrients. It sounds like you like to exercise. Have you considered Body for Life, or the BFL for Women?? Great programs! And they have you eat small meals, which also sounds like you can do . Why don't you check them out? The Women's version is awesome. It really tunes in to our unique obstacles that we face as women.

Please, until you decide which way you want to go with this, please eat some food, and especially protein. Your body is going to burn muscle for energy, and then your metabolism will fry, and then you'll have an extra super hard time losing this weight. If you need me, PM me any time!!

Jennifer
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 10:52 PM   #13  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TiredGradStudent
You won't have to eat hamburgers and fried everything afterward to see the pounds come back. The weight will start to come back on when you start eating ANY kind of real food because your body will have figured out a way to survive on next to nothing. When it finally gets a few calories, it will hold onto them for dear life (literally) and the pounds will come back on faster than they left (and will probably bring some friends in case the famine hits again). Then all of your suffering would have just put you in a worse place than you started. Please don't do that to yourself! Lose weight slowly and stay healthy. Your body will reward you in the end. Surf the boards here at 3FC. There are many people here who have successfully lost a lot of weight and kept it off. No, it didn't happen overnight, but very few things that are worthwhile do.

YES!! someone beat me to this!! You're my idol, tiredgradstudent!! Are you in a Phd program???

To Star- this is true. DIETS should be a LIFESTYLE. ANything that's temporary will come back if you change it- so if you are on a liquid diet now, pretty soon, if you reach where you want to be and then go back to eating solid foods, you may experience a gain!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:50 AM   #14  

Ok ok. So you all got to me. and I read all your advice and I thought.. I dont want to get fatter then I was to start with! that scared me. So , Tonite for dinner I ate steamed vegetables and 2 small Tofu cubes ... (it wouldnt stay put though) Im going to start off slowly and ive been looking into the atkins diet, once I get going and I can eat normal Im going to allow myself 1000 calories a day. So thats my plan for now. wow, You all are very helpful, thank you verrrrry much!
Old 05-03-2006, 02:55 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

You need to eat more than 1000 calories a day. You have some unhealthy ideas about food and eating. Please consult with a registered dietician you can analyze your dietary needs and help you figure out a meal plan for healthy, sustainable weight loss.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote