Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-26-2006, 11:46 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I do the following:

~I splurge now and then on new workout dvds

~I either do my own pedicure (I went to cosmetology school years ago) or currently, I go and get one done every few weeks at a local nail salon for about $25-$30. (I currently cannot maneuver myself well enough to do them )

~I paint and file my natural nails once a week, and let them dry for 1 hour total while I watch a crappy, meaningless tv show.

*For those who have trouble getting polish to stay for longer than a couple days-get in the habit of using base coat, a coat or two of polish, and then a coat of topcoat. Let dry for a couple minutes, and then add a bit of nail dry over that-dry for one hour. My current polish was done on Thursday-and I don't have a single chip. The base coats and top coats really DO something for the staying power.

~I color my hair once every 4-6 weeks to cover the gray.

~I use scented bath gels and lotions as well.

~I do this as well: Get a really, really good thick body or foot cream-and completely slather your feet and ankles with it before bed-then put on a thick pair of socks. Sleep like this...the body heat held in by the socks penetrates the moisture into the feet. Do this a couple times a week, and your feet will be much softer and smoother. You can do the same thing for your hands, with some of the sleep gloves you can get at Wal-mart, etc. in the spa/beauty or nail/hand lotion sections.

~I often buy a new nail polish, or new lipstick, or soem other small cosmetic.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:07 PM   #17  

S/C/G: xmas start wt: 156

I go out by myself without the kids. That rejuviates me. That has nothing to do with weight loss and everything to do with sanity. My weight? I basically gloat to my family (in a positive I'm so happy way) and I tell my husband that all my shopping trips and outings are excercise..lol.
DeafinlySmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 12:55 PM   #18  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Now that I'm feeling better about my appearance, I make sure that my hair and makeup are done before I go out (even just for trips to the grocery store). I have the world's largest collection of lipsticks and never go out without wearing lipstick. I don't spend a lot of time doing my makeup - I can do eye shaddow, liner, eyebrow makeup, blush & lipstick in about 2 minutes flat. I like to keep it subtle, though and use only earthtones. I don't use foundation (liquid makup) as I think it emphasises lines. I just use a cover stick on a couple of problem areas. Looking my best gives me confidence when I'm out and about.

When I was heavier, I couldn't be bothered and just wanted to blend into the woodwork.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:41 PM   #19  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Melissa, I have several nice jackets that are too big for me now, they would need to be dry cleaned (barely worn but dusty from hanging in the closet; I think they're 26), and that might get to be a little pricey for me. I just finished giving away a bunch of stuff to a local women's shelter.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:10 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/200

Height: 5'5

I always always put on makeup and do my hair, even when im just at home by myself. But I did that before, so its not really a reward...I think my only material reward will be clothes, because i already bought lots of cosmetics and such. But I think my biggest reward is telling my mom whenever ive lost a couple more lbs. She was really worried about me (history of diabetes in my family) And I like seeing her reaction when i give her my 'updates'. lol
cardsfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 02:33 PM   #21  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan2009
But I think my biggest reward is telling my mom whenever ive lost a couple more lbs.
That's a huge reward for me, too, to tell loved ones when I lose a little more weight. And hearing comments when someone hasn't seen me for a long time.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel67
I had this idea that's been kinda going around in my head that I thought I'd share. How about a clothing swap? I'm sure we all have "big" clothes that don't fit any more, that MIGHT just fit some one else, here at 3FC. I'll be in a 12/14 very soon, and I have a bunch of 16's and X-large/XX-large tops that will eventually end up at the Rescue Mission. What better way to get rid of them, then share them with some one here? As long as they're clean and in good repair. Just an idea. Might just help someone defray the cost of buying new clothes, until they reach goal.

I have the "problem" Misty has. I have an entire wardrobe just waiting for me to get into them.
This is an idea that has been discussed a few times in the past, and it was agreed not to go forward. We will keep this just a support/weight loss forum-and not get involved with any trading of clothing or exercise videos.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #23  
hara hachi bu

I also support or reinforce myself by recognizing how good my grocery list looks now, and I take pride in my menus. I've even kicked around the idea of taking pictures of this wonderful healthy food I make (OK, I already did it, but only once before I realized that was incredibly geeky).
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 12:10 AM   #24  

Height: 5'8.5"

Wow, lots of great ideas here!!! Good to hear so many are treating themselves well!

Glory, thanks for the info about the foot spa. Have to admit I avoid Bellevue as much as possible since I don't like to drive there... and LOL I have never had a pedicure or even a manicure, believe it or not!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:01 AM   #25  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I got my first pedicure last month and now I'm addicted LOL. I loved how great my bright red toenails looked. I even went out and bought the nail polish the pedicurist used so I could touch it up. I'm getting another one tomorrow evening and I can't wait. Maybe I'll try pink this time!

I spend a ridiculous amount of money on my hair. I get it highlighted every two months. My favorite part is getting to read fashion magazines while waiting for the color to set (it's the only time I read them). My hair is naturally stick straight and flat as can be, so I also treat myself to expensive products to make it defy its nature.

I also love anything that smells good, so I regularly buy nice smelling candles, soaps, shampoos/conditions, and bath products. I don't always spend a lot of money on these--Trader Joe's has some great products that don't cost that much but still make me feel pampered.

And, since I've started to feel better about the way I look, I've definitely been more interested in make-up. But it's been so long since I wore anything other than mascara and lipstick that I'm not quite sure what to do. Maybe one day I'll splurge and get a makeover.

Oh, and every week when I go to the farmers market, I get some flowers for myself. In fact, I have a little routine on Saturdays. My partner and I have a leisurely breakfast, then I go to the farmers market, then I go to the gym. If it's nice out, I walk to the gym. I've become very attached to this routine; it feels like my time.

Grocery shopping is also a treat for me, even if I am buying mainly healthy foods these days. I like everything about food: I like thinking about food, I like trying new foods, I like shopping for food, I like growing my own food, I like reading cooking magazines, I like trying new recipes, I like cooking, and, most of all, I like eating. I'm sure this is what got me into trouble with my weight to begin with but I'm trying to turn this hobby into something positive by focusing on healthly, low calorie meals. So on either Saturday or Sunday, I sit down and plan out what we will eat for dinner during the week. I usually come up with two or three meals, each of which I will make enough for us to eat for at least two nights (I like cooking but it's nice not to have to cook every night). Then I make out my grocery list, go through the coupons, check to see if there are any other staples we need, and go to the store. I generally go to both Trader Joe's and Safeway (and sometimes Target). As you can imagine, start to finish this takes several hours. I used to hate it, but now I look forward to it.

And the best thing I did for myself was hire someone to clean the house every other week. What a relief. Now I don't have to feel guilty about not cleaning on the weekends.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:06 AM   #26  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi Blue... wow sounds as if you have a nice system going! LOL I am soooo the opposite... I can hardly sit in the chair long enough for someone to cut my hair and for that reason don't think I would like a pedicure. And I don't enjoy the getting groceries and cooking part at all; I just do it so I can be healthy and not eat junk.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote