Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-21-2006, 10:39 PM   #1  

Default Confused about my calories :(

Hello everybody, i just joined this website today and was hoping i could recieve some beneficial advice. My problem might get a little confusing and long so ill try to keep it short! Lets see, well im 17 at 5' 2'' and 104 pounds. Since october of last year i wanted to really lose some weight so i started to excersize while still enjoying foods in moderation. weight loss was crazy slow and i got stuck in this low carb diet craze, i got so obsessed with losing weight that i barely ate, after long research and timee by around january of 2006 i managed to teach myself how to lose weight the real and healthy way and i started my own diet. it consisted of low GI foods and 1350 calories a day with a protein carb fat ratio of 20/50/30, weight loss was still slow but it was working, i was eating really healthy and i worked out 5 days a way 2-3 days of cardio for 35 minutes and 2-3 days of a pilates video. i still stick to my excercise routine but after more research i found that i wasnt eating an adequate amount of calories ( i was don elosing weight i wanted to mantain) so i increased my intake gradually to 1650 calories daily. i dont know what made me do it but just recently i took it up to 1800. i think it was cuz i visited some websites for adequate caloric intake for teens and i was getting numbers from 1800-2000, so i decided to go with 1800, so anyway, right now im consuming around 1800, i count everything properly except for dinner i have to really make guesses because my mom likes all of us to eat together, so my tummy feels like its kinda bulging out and ive noticed a 1 pound weight gain in the past week. im a little bit confused, is this just my buddy adjusting to the correct caloric intake or am i just taking in too many calories? i know my excercise may not seem like a lot but my lifestyle is moderatly active, im not in school right now so im home all day but im always doing something like mopping or vacuuming or helping with dinner. I am really confused and the LAST thing i want to do before this huge wedding in 3 weeks is to gain a few pounds, i have worked SO hard to get to my goal weight and id hate to see it float away. Suggestions anybody? I would REALLY appreciate some time and advice. Thank you!!!
Caramello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 11:17 PM   #2  
it's always something

Hi Caramello I think it's great that you are aware of your weight while balancing a healthy lifestyle. It sounds like you are doing all of the right things It's easy to get sucked into the wrong diet and do damage before you realize it, so you are lucky and wise to have figured out what your body needed and followed up with the research and effort to correct it.

Everyone's weight will fluctuate from time to time, so I'm not sure you should be concerned about the pound just yet. It could be water retention, especially if it's that time of the month. If it doesn't go away, then you might try cutting back to 1700 and see if that makes a difference. Definitely make as small of changes as possible.

Maintaining weight loss can be much harder than losing it in the first place. We have a forum for Maintainers that you might want to visit. The ladies there can provide invaluable insight, suggestions, and support to keep you from regaining.

Good luck!
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree 100%.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:12 AM   #4  

Thank you for the advicee!! it REALLY means alot, hopefully ill be able to find a balance somewhere in this, and hey one more question for anybody out there. In regards to trans fat, i know its really bad for you and it should be avoided at all costs but i undrstand its okay in moderation, does anyone has suggestions as to how many grams is safe to cause minimal damage for one day? my mom brought these really good looking cinnamon buns and lo and behold theres trans fat! Of course id love to be able to treat myself while the rest of my family is enjoying them saturday morning but i want to make sure its worth it :/
Old 06-22-2006, 10:13 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Right now, studies have not found any safe level for transfat. It is not really okay even in moderation.

"The National Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Medicine, has found a relationship between the intake of trans fat and the increased risk for heart disease. Trans fat is known to increase blood levels of low density lipoprotein (LDL), so-called "bad" cholesterol, while lowering levels of high density lipoprotein (HDL), known as "good" cholesterol. The Institute recommends that consumers limit trans fat in their diets (no safe daily upper limit has been set)."

http://www.detnews.com/2005/fitness/...H04-359526.htm
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

Caramello, I would have to agree with Suzanne 3FC; if you're cutting back your calories, then make really small changes. When I was figuring out what was best for me, I changed my calorie amounts a lot and my weight fluctuated like crazy and it took a long time to find what was reasonable.

I'm curious as to how much weight you are planning on losing. When I saw the 104 lbs, right away I thought: that's so tiny (but for me, I haven't weighed that little since elementary school)! I checked your BMI (body mass index) out of curiosity and you're at 19, within the healthy range (18.5-24.9). I realize that system is for "adults" (age 18 and up) so it might not be unreasonable to be a little lighter, depending on your frame.

Since you are starting at such a low weight, the weight will almost definitely be very very slow coming off, but that's healthier for you anyway. I'm sure you look terrific already, but if a few extra pounds are making you uncomfortable, it's wise to start taking care of that now before things get out of hand. I wish you luck and hope you find the support you need on this forum; it's been a great resource for me. Take care.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:45 AM   #7  

Thanks again for such great advice!! Im so glad to have found this website, i really didnt think there was anyone out there that really cared to help :/, but thank you guys so much! Well i dont want to lose any more weight, im very happy with my body as it is now, i wanted to lose weight before when i weighed in at 125, and im not at 104 6 months later? Im just finding it difficult to mantain and the weight fluctuation is driving me insane esp with summer being here and all so many functions coming up, the bloating on occasion, being a girl is so stressfull lol so ill try to work around my intake and see how it goes, i was just confused because it was only 2 or 3 days into my 1800 when i felt a lil bulgy, whihc doesnt make sense i mean can 3 days of 150 extra calories than normal actually make a difference?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:45 AM   #8  

Thanks again for such great advice!! Im so glad to have found this website, i really didnt think there was anyone out there that really cared to help :/, but thank you guys so much! Well i dont want to lose any more weight, im very happy with my body as it is now, i wanted to lose weight before when i weighed in at 125, and im not at 104 6 months later? Im just finding it difficult to mantain and the weight fluctuation is driving me insane esp with summer being here and all so many functions coming up, the bloating on occasion, being a girl is so stressfull lol so ill try to work around my intake and see how it goes, i was just confused because it was only 2 or 3 days into my 1800 when i felt a lil bulgy, whihc doesnt make sense i mean can 3 days of 150 extra calories than normal actually make a difference?