Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-19-2006, 02:48 PM   #1  
Learning To Fly...

S/C/G: 307/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Arrow Moving Out...

Ok well some of you may have read my other thread about my bf's parents eating the food we buy for ourselves since groceries are hardly ever done around here...and alot of you suggested we move out b/c we were pretty much paying the same amount to live here as it would to live on our own.

Well that time might have just come...my bf's mom told him today that my bf's stepdad's daughter is moving out here, and that means WE have to help finish the other bedroom up here so she can move in, we have some problems with this:

1. We shouldn't have to help finish the bedroom for her, were not the ones who want her out here, we had to help finish our bedroom why can't she come out here and help?
2. We better get a door on our bedroom if she is moving out here
3. My bf's stepdad must think his family is royalty, since the only reason our bedroom got finished so fast was so they could have the bedroom downstairs we were in to make more room in the living room for his family at xmas time (their bedroom was previously in the living room) and after this room was done (mind you it still isn't completly finished) the rest of the upstairs was forgotten about. Oh, and they had 4 couches downstairs, THREE in the living room, and one on the front porch that they got from somewhere a couple weeks ago and it looks brand new, anyway they recently got rid of one in the living room, and took it to the dump, it was still perfectly fine, but my bf's moms reasoning was 'oh it was only in here for when joe's family came at xmas' they didn't even think to offer it to us for our room, we can't watch TV together b/c we have one recliner that is falling apart...
4. Get this, my bf pays $100/wk right now to live here, they want $50/wk from me but I'm only working one day a week and I would never pay that much to live here, anyway my bf's stepdads daughter...get this...doesn't have to pay a CENT just b/c she is his daughter and apparently can't afford it when she is working at Tim Hortons full time, making the same or more than my bf is per hour.
5. When she moves out here, we won't be able to do anything..such as watch TV or have privacy, b/c she is a stuck up yuo know what, and all she will have to do is complain to daddy and daddy will make it all better, which means we will be getting in trouble for everything. I've known her the entire time I've known my bf (we have been dating for 4 years, known eachother for 6) and I know how she is...it will be **** with her up here, b/c we won't matter at all, it will be whatever she wants she gets, and my bf's mom won't stick up for us b/c she has no backbone and can't stand up to my bf's stepdad at all.

ANYWHO....we don't want to be here when she comes out...so were thinking of just leaving, we called my bf's friend but he is moving out this month with his girlfriend...anyway like I said I'm only working one day a week right now but I told m bf I would work full time if I have too.

I'm trying to come up with a budget and Im wondering if it looks ok?

Rent - $500 - $600/mth (for a one bedroom, all inclusive (utilities included) and appliances included - fridge and stove usually, which is how most apartments around here are)
Groceries - $100/wk, $400/mth
Cigarettes - $50/wk, $100/mth (Only my bf smokes)
Gas - $30/wk, $120/mth
Insurance - $200/mth (I'm guessing at this, we will probably put it in my name once I get my G2 in September since it will more than likely be cheaper, we have never gotten a straight answer from my bf's mom about how much his insurance is, and I know that my friend paid $164/mth for her 95 sport accent, and here if your a girl its cheaper and if you take drivers training it is cheaper but only by about 10%, I didn't take drivers training, but our car is not a sport (sport models are more expensive), it is a 95 as well though, so I'm estimating about $200 to make up for the fact that I didn't take drivers training.)
Other - $200/mth (Including $60/mth for cells - no need for a phone with cells, $40/mth for internet, $30-$40 for TV etc.)

My bf makes around $1500-$1600/mth right now (again that is an estimate, using his hourly wage x 80 hours (paid bi-weekly) then subtracting 20% for taxes.

I will make anywhere between $500-$1000 making minimum wage working part time or full time.

So I'm wondering if this looks ok...I dont think I forgot anything??? Thanks.

Last edited by Trixie14; 06-19-2006 at 02:55 PM.
Trixie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:05 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Trixie - you DEFINATLY need to get out. I hope I can help but telling you my costs. My boyfriend and I live together - I am 20 and he is 21.

rent = $500 a month, includes everything (we are living in his aunts basement suite, but moving soon and it will be about 850$ there plus utilites)
cell phones x2 = $100/month
food = $500/month (about), we buy a lot at costco, so like a huge thing of chicken, beef, pork, etc and cut it up and get about 1-2 months out of it all.
TV/Internet = $50/month, my boyfriend works for shaw and we get half price, so you are probably looking at 100$ or so (for digital cable, 60$ or so for regular cable)
Gas = $100/month or so, we dont do much driving
Insurance for his car = $150/month
Insurance for our place = $250 (i think) /year
House hold expenses = $200/month toliet paper, laundry soap, etc

Remember that moving out for your first time you need lots of stuff, like dishes, furniture, and lots of little things, dish soap, laundry soap, toilet paper, nakpins, dish towels, towels, shampoo, the first few months can be VERY expensive. Just make sure you are ready for it. I get about 1700$ a month after tax and my boyfriend gets at least 2000$ a month after tax and we seems to have no trouble with money, but we did at the beginning.

MAKE SURE to stay away from buying silly things - I have a hard time there being a girl like buying a new shirt or jeans, some months every penny counts.

I really recommened to move out, I know how stressful it can be. Especially living in a bad situation. Like I said we live in my boyfriends aunt's basement suite, and I am always stressed out and that is why we have to move.

Good luck!

One last tip, things cost a lot more then you think they do, I found that out!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Wouldn't that be $200/mth? If that's not a reason to quit smoking, I don't know what is.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:22 PM   #4  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Jeni: I just read the most recent entry on your blog. Considering the fact that you all need to move out soon, wouldn't it be a good idea to use the tattoo money for deposits, etc.? There will always be opportunity to get them later if you really want them. I would think your freedom from his parents is worth at least the price of a tattoo...

Just my humble opinion....
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #5  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87

Wouldn't that be $200/mth? If that's not a reason to quit smoking, I don't know what is.
No KIDDING!! That's a LOT Of smokes... I don't even spend that much on DIAPERS eek!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:33 PM   #6  
LLV

Well, we're not here to lecture her on how much her boyfriend smokes, but I will agree, $50 a week is a lot of cigarettes, since we're talking about her expenses and all. Maybe he could cut back. Even cigarettes that cost $5 a pack would only cost him $35 a week if he'd cut back to one pack a day. I can't imagine anyone smoking $50 worth of cigarettes in one week. So there's an expense you can cut right there. Have him try and cut back on the smoking, that'll help.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 04:36 PM   #7  
Starting Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415
Jeni: I just read the most recent entry on your blog. Considering the fact that you all need to move out soon, wouldn't it be a good idea to use the tattoo money for deposits, etc.? There will always be opportunity to get them later if you really want them. I would think your freedom from his parents is worth at least the price of a tattoo...

I took a quick look at your blog after reading that and I agree. You will be pretty tight for money for a while, so no tattos or capri's - you are going to have to stop buying stuff unless you ABSOLUTLY need it!

So when you see a pair of pants and go "those are cute" and want to buy them, think to yourself, "do I really need these pants? how many pairs do I already have? etc" If you have NO PANTS at all, the buy all means get some, but there will be no more buying because it is cute. I am not trying to be harsh, just telling you the facts. I know all about these, I only moved out 6 months ago.

You are paying 400$ a month to live there and sure its like, well only 500$ to have our own place. But it is not only 500$ I thought the same. You might have all utilites included but there is so much more you never think about. I am not kidding when you need every penny, the first few months will be expensive.

You need stupid stuff you never even think about, like cleaning supplies (bathroom, kitchen, carpet, etc), paper towel, plunger, toilet brush, toothpaste, vaccume, mop, broom, extention cords, all kinds of things to cook with like a potatoe masher or a soup spoon, etc. If you already have all that then you are all set. I was given almost everything for xmas but when I moved out we still spent at least 2000$ on buying other stuff. And when I saw I was given almost everything for xmas I am not kidding, I was given microwave, toaster oven, blender, beaters, pots and pans, dishes, cutliery, all serving spoons and that kind of stuff, etc, etc, etc. And we still spent over 2000$.

Please just make sure you have enough money and really control the urge to spend.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:39 PM   #8  
Learning To Fly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87

I meant $50/every 2 wks, he gets a carton every 2 weeks, which is about $52 but I rounded to $50
Old 06-19-2006, 04:40 PM   #9  
Learning To Fly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415

I just found all this out today, so I was planning on using my bday money for a tattoo until today, if we decide to move out I will be using my bday money for that.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:42 PM   #10  
Learning To Fly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical
I took a quick look at your blog after reading that and I agree. You will be pretty tight for money for a while, so no tattos or capri's - you are going to have to stop buying stuff unless you ABSOLUTLY need it!

So when you see a pair of pants and go "those are cute" and want to buy them, think to yourself, "do I really need these pants? how many pairs do I already have? etc" If you have NO PANTS at all, the buy all means get some, but there will be no more buying because it is cute. I am not trying to be harsh, just telling you the facts. I know all about these, I only moved out 6 months ago.
I had money given to me for the purpose of buying some summer clothes, b/c I had none, and I bought 2 pairs of capri's on saturday before I knew any of this was going to happen, I didn't want to spend $100 on 2 pairs but Additionelle was the only place that had capri's in my size that fit me ok, I HATE HATE HATE clothes shopping so it isn't like I bought them b/c I wanted too, I bought them b/c I needed them and the money was given to me for that purpose.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:44 PM   #11  
Starting Fresh

I am sorry if I can across as harsh, I really didn't mean it. I just want you to make sure you are ready. It really sounds like you need to get out, but I just wanted to help you think about all the things you needed. I wish someone did it for me! I spend months being broke, and it was aweful! and I know myself I have a bad habit of buying things I don't really need!
Old 06-19-2006, 04:59 PM   #12  
Learning To Fly...

Quote:
Trixie - you DEFINATLY need to get out. I hope I can help but telling you my costs. My boyfriend and I live together - I am 20 and he is 21.

rent = $500 a month, includes everything (we are living in his aunts basement suite, but moving soon and it will be about 850$ there plus utilites)
cell phones x2 = $100/month
food = $500/month (about), we buy a lot at costco, so like a huge thing of chicken, beef, pork, etc and cut it up and get about 1-2 months out of it all.
TV/Internet = $50/month, my boyfriend works for shaw and we get half price, so you are probably looking at 100$ or so (for digital cable, 60$ or so for regular cable)
Gas = $100/month or so, we dont do much driving
Insurance for his car = $150/month
Insurance for our place = $250 (i think) /year
House hold expenses = $200/month toliet paper, laundry soap, etc

Remember that moving out for your first time you need lots of stuff, like dishes, furniture, and lots of little things, dish soap, laundry soap, toilet paper, nakpins, dish towels, towels, shampoo, the first few months can be VERY expensive. Just make sure you are ready for it. I get about 1700$ a month after tax and my boyfriend gets at least 2000$ a month after tax and we seems to have no trouble with money, but we did at the beginning.

MAKE SURE to stay away from buying silly things - I have a hard time there being a girl like buying a new shirt or jeans, some months every penny counts.

I really recommened to move out, I know how stressful it can be. Especially living in a bad situation. Like I said we live in my boyfriends aunt's basement suite, and I am always stressed out and that is why we have to move.

Good luck!

One last tip, things cost a lot more then you think they do, I found that out!

My budget is based on what we spend now, gas is about $30/wk right now, sometimes $30 every 2 weeks if we don't go anywhere besides work for my bf sometimes $60/wk if we go out of town, it all depends on how much driving we do, groceries we could do with $100/wk b/c we wouldn't mind just buying soup, bread, sandwich meat, etc. cheap things..we don't need gourmet meals. I check the paper often and my parent's have always rented and I usually saw the budget, so I know a one bedroom would be $500-$600, our cells are $57/mth, I rounded up to $60, TV will only be about $30-$40...I know this b/c I know how much my mom pays and my bf's mom pays, Internet will be about $40/mth or less b/c thats what is being paid now and when I was at home it was $25 (Just depends on the speed we choose) The only cost I'm not 100% on is car insurance, and that is only b/c my bf's mom won't give a straight answer.

Most apartments around here include everything with the rent, and most come with a fridge and stove already. I know we would need alot of things to move out, we would even need first and last month's rent, were considering a small loan, which would be good for credit, and help us get on our feet, if the smallest amount we can take out is $5000 and we only spend $2500 we'll put the other $2500 right back on the loan, were not sure though, that will be a last resort, we have alot of thinking and planning to do, all we know is we want out of here. By September 1 we could probably have about $1000 saved, which could cover first and last, then we would just need to worry about things we need...

There won't be many deposits to pay, since utilities are included with rent, you don't have to pay a deposit to the utility companies, the only deposits we'll have to pay is maybe something on the apartment although most places only ask for first and last, I've asked many times when I've called about apartments before, we even went so far as to schedule an appointment to look at one, but decided against it at the time, the only other deposit is car insurance if it is switched over to my bf's name, but I'm not even 100% sure how that works...if we stay in town here my bf could walk or bike to work for a while, same with me, the only downer is it is much harder to find jobs here since it is much smaller.

We just found out this was happening today, and our biggest problem is that my bf's stepdads daughter won't have to pay, we didn't get to talk much b/c my bf had to leave for work so were going to have to talk about it more tomorrow.

Another option is moving into a place with my mom and my brother....but I'm not so sure I would want to do that.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:00 PM   #13  
Learning To Fly...

Quote:
I am sorry if I can across as harsh, I really didn't mean it. I just want you to make sure you are ready. It really sounds like you need to get out, but I just wanted to help you think about all the things you needed. I wish someone did it for me! I spend months being broke, and it was aweful! and I know myself I have a bad habit of buying things I don't really need!
I understand, I also understand that you only know what I'm telling you so your only replying to what you know...
Old 06-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #14  
No description available.

If you need concrete info re: insurance, call an agent.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 06:18 PM   #15  
Learning To Fly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife
If you need concrete info re: insurance, call an agent.
Alot of them won't do it over the phone b/c they need to see the car etc. and we called their insurance company once before and got a quote from the guy, who ended up calling my bf's mom and told her, so then she found out we had called and found out we wanted to move out and told us that the quote we were given was wrong, so we ended up with two prices, then just a few months ago when my bf had a good paying job it jumped even higher than the previous two prices and she had an excuse for that...so thats what I mean by we can't get a straight answer from her about car insurance, so thats why were clueless about how much it is, you think she would have the courtesy to tell him how much it is and give a real honest straight forward answer, he has asked her before to put the car in his name as well but she refused, right now she is the primary driver and he is secondary b/c she says that makes it cheaper, so he is paying how much it costs to have her as primary and then how much it costs to have him as secondary, instead of only paying for himself if he was primary, or if the car were in his name.