A little discouraged...

• I've been counting calories since January and I've got 11 pounds more to go. I didn't start exercising until about 6 weeks ago (I was in denial, what can I say? ), but I finally realized I would really need it for maintenance--not to mention all around better health. So I'm doing Curves three times a week and then the Couch to 5K training combined with a 3 mile walk three times a week with a rest day on Fridays. Earlier this month I was thrilled to changed my current weight stat from 167 to 164.

I cautiously upped my daily calorie intake from 1500 to 1700... and promptly put on 2 pounds. I've been hoping the gain is a blip, but I've been stuck here for 10 days. This morning I reluctantly changed my current weight stat to 166.

I know I just have to keep going, but it's hard to backslide when I'm being so virtuous about exercise. I have pain and gain! It seems to unfair!

Okay, just needed to whine for a minute.
  • Did you raise your calorie intake due to the Couch to 5K training?

I also wanted to put in here that it is COMMON for you to go up a pound or two upon first raising your calorie intake, or upon recently starting a new exercise regime...a lot of this is just fluctuation, though...and it will go back down. The scale only tells part of the story-because it doesn't know if that two pounds is water, fat, or muscle...

Don't get too discouraged. Also, I often find it is better if you only adjust your calorie intake by about 100 calories at a time-rather than a 200 or 300 calorie jump at once. Your body needs to adjust to the change a little slowly. I recommend this for maintenance as well-go up 100 at a time for a week or two, and if there is no gain, then inching it up another 100 a couple weeks later, etc. until you find your balance where you can maintain your loss without gaining or losing any more.
  • Hi aphil,

yes, I was feeling a bit weak after doing the c25k routines and I decided I needed more calories. But maybe you're right-- I should notch it back to 1600 a day instead of 1700.

I'm also wondering if 155 is really a realistic goal for me. I'm not looking for an excuse to settle at my current weight, mind you-- I'd love to hit 155. All through my twenties and into my mid-thirties I weighed around 139-- even after three kids) but the years between 35 and 45 saw me more around 150... and then 155 before I quit smoking and packed on the fat. I guess I'm wondering if, at age 48 and entering menopause, I can really expect to be that thin again... or if the new me is a fit 166.

Can't hurt to keep going and find out, I suppose.
  • I like the 'fit 166' idea myself. You're at the point where it makes sense to stop focusing on numbers and find something else as a goal. And fitness is a great goal! After all, it's really a 'look' we're after more than a number - if you look lean and tight at 166, who the heck cares what the scale says?

So maybe it's time to transition into maintenance mode and concentrate on exercise changing your body. You'll be amazed at how much things can change even while the scale stays the same!
  • Idest, it's so hard to lose those last few pounds. I think you're very wise to reassess your goal weight.
    I weighed 128 through college, but when I got back down to 140 about 10 years ago, I realized that I looked pretty darned good. (pardon my modesty. heh heh)

As well, the fact that you "just" started exercising six weeks ago... I've read so many articles that say THAT'S when the exercise really starts to have a "visible" effect on your body.
    Hang in there, and don't be too hard on yourself!
  • Oooo there is awesome advice here for "almost theres'" Thanks ladies!
  • Thanks Meg! I wouldn't say I look lean and tight quite yet... but I know the exercise will take care of that little detail...

I think I'm still emotionally attached to that 155 number, so I maybe I'll work on teaching myself to be comfortable with the idea of a fit 166 for now... while giving myself the summer to really make this relatively new exercise program part of my life. Then I can re-assess in the Fall.
  • Idest, you and I are the same weight practically and whereas I look chubby, from your pic you look trim! So maybe this is your maintenance weight. Just my 0.02.
  • ellis, appreciate the support... which is exactly what I wanted! It's why I hang out here. If I complain to my dear sweetie, he will try to help by problem solving for me in that <generalizing> male </generalizing> way... giving lots of advice and completely missing the point that advice works a lot better when mixed in with a little commiseration and a simple "I know how you feel... you're doing great!"

(Besides, he doesn't know as much as he thinks he knows. He actually believes in spot reduction because he once trimmed his belly [only place he ever HAS any fat] by adding tons of crunches to his routine. No amount of logic on my part will sway him from this notion).

Sunnigummi, I have 4 inches on you, my friend... Makes a difference. But yeah, I am willing to live with this weight for the summer and see how I feel in September.
  • And you never know...by focusing on fitness, and consuming around 1600 calories a day...over the course of the summer you just may get a surprise and find that you end up being 165, or 164 instead of the 166.

I totally agree with age, children, etc. having an effect on what is an "attainable" weight. When I was in my late teens and early 20's, I fluctuated from 135 pounds (thin for me) to 165 (chunky for me at the time.)

What I didn't realize, was those weights were just that-weight. It had nothing to do with how much body fat or muscle I had-it was just a scale number.
    I wasn't an avid exerciser at the time...and a year ago (before my pregnancy, obviously...) I was at my absolute fittest at 164 pounds. One pound less than what I considered my "chunky" weight to be when I was 19 or 20 years old.
    Because of the proper diet and exercise-I had good abs, I was strong and had energy and stamina...and I looked pretty great! I finally became "active and fit" instead of just "going on a diet-and the way I looked at the same weight (10 years apart) were like night and day-because of fitness.
  • Just wanted to thank you all again for the kind words... and to give a little update. I had said I'd live with being 166 through the summer and then re-evaluate. Well, I'm still doing that, but I'm down three pounds! Oddly, I've let myself eat pasta several times since I last posted in this thread, developed shin splints and had to lay off my walk/run intervals for a week... and the scale has been showing a small loss daily! Go figure.

Anyway, I'm still not going to fret about my goal for the summer (in fact not fretting IS my goal for the summer), but you can bet I'm going to go change my current weight stat!
  • Yay for you!

DH started getting some shin splints this past week as well...and for he and I, it is actually one of the classic signs that we have put too many miles on our running or walking shoes. He stopped into Dicks Sporting Goods last night for a new pair, and when he tried them on he realized just how much the padding, support, and shock absorption had broken down in his others.

Could it possibly be time for a new pair?
  • Hi aphil,

Thanks for the carrot!

I wish I could blame the shoes... but they're pretty new. I'd love to claim "too many miles" but I'm new to running (I'm doing the Couch to 5 K program, and miles are not even in my routine yet!), so I think it was a matter of not stretching enough combined with thinking I could be clever and beat the heat by running on the shady sidewalk instead of in full sun on the nice track in the park. I have learned my lesson!

I'm going to start back up after the holiday. In the meantime, I'm trying to get as much walking in as I can and I'm off to Vermont for the weekend where I'll be hiking with friends.