"Bouncy" scale is driving me nuts!

• Over the last two weeks, but especially the last week, my scale has been driving me UP THE WALL! June 11 I weighed 153.6, the next day... 153.8. Tuesday I weighed 153.4, Wednesday, 154.2! Thursday I was back down to 153.4 again and my weight didn't fluctuate until Saturday when I went back up to 154.4.

Today I weighed myself and it came to 152.2. The crazy part is, on the days before the major weight fluctuations (normally my weight doesn't fluctuate more than .5lb on any given day), I'd been eating REALLY well. Low sodium (around 1000mg, which is excellent for me), keeping my fat % under 30, veggies, fruits, whole grains. I'd also had some busy days at work, making sure to keep well-hydrated.

Why must the scale toy with me so? Granted, I really did like seeing that 152.2
  • Congrats on the 152.2!

What you're seeing on your scales is perfectly normal. Remember that 60% of your body weight is WATER! That means you have 91 pounds of water in your body right now. If you got on the scales and saw 152.2, then drank a bottle of water and got back on the scales, you'd weigh 153.2 -- but nothing would have changed except for the amount of water in your body.

It's so easy for the amount of water we have in our bodies to fluctuate a few ounces or even pounds from day to day, depending on how much sodium we had, how many carbs we've eaten, TOM etc. Don't worry about those tiny daily changes in how much water is in your body - what matters is that the long-term trend is DOWN!

Keep up the good work!!
  • Yeah, I know about being mostly water, but goodness. Just when I thought I'd figured out the little nuances of my body, it goes and does this

Thanks, though
  • I have an analog scale and because it doesn't measure in .1 pound increments, maybe I am less likely to see those kinds of fluctuations.

Of course, when I stood on it today, it said, 202, 204, and 203! And that was one right after the other. So, there are fluctuations a plenty!

These random fluctuations occur any time you take measurements, and is one reason people recommend weighing yourself once a week, same time, same conditions. Are you weighing at different times of day? Wearing different clothes?

Or, weigh more often, but understand that fluctuations are part of the game.

I weigh myself probably 4-5 times a week, and note the fluctuations, but the weights I record are always Monday mornings, after peeing, before breakfast, underwear only.
  • Sometimes the load sensors on scales give out, and start behaving randomly. After my old scale started giving me weights that differed by a whole pound, when I weighed myself 3 or 4 times in a row (being careful to put my feet in the exact same place!) I decided to get a new scale.

I got a mechanical beam doctor's scale, and it's been worth every penny. It always gives me the same answer when I step on it several times in a row,so I know I'm getting good data. It made a big difference to me. I still have bounces, but now I know they are real.
  • Quote: I love your posts, they always make me smile
    Thanks, Melissa!

Quote: Sometimes the load sensors on scales give out, and start behaving randomly. After my old scale started giving me weights that differed by a whole pound, when I weighed myself 3 or 4 times in a row (being careful to put my feet in the exact same place!) I decided to get a new scale.
    You know, I keep thinking I should get a new scale, but just can't bear it. I think mine weighs me lower than any scale out there! Plus, while it has it's fluctuations, the weights I record are consistent in how different they are from the drs office and the gym... so, I guess I'll keep it!
  • The scale is pretty new (just got it this year), so I don't think it's a problem with the scale... especially since it weighs the same even if I weigh myself three or four times in a row.

Weighing has become a daily ritual for me. Wake up, potty, strip, weigh. I try to weigh at the same time in the morning, too. 7:30am nearly every day. I figure it'll give me the most accurate results. My "weekly weigh-ins" are on Monday, it's when I count any pounds I've lost as official.

It was just weird to see the scale fluctuating so much... it's never done it that bad. It's all good though, just weird!
  • My scale can go up and down 8 pounds in from one day to another! 1 or 2 pounds is nothing! haha
    You need to pick ONE offical weigh in day and time to make it more correct. I find Saturday morning's I am always the lowest.