Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-16-2006, 10:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/219/170

Default Wrong Results for Perfect Plan

So I have been doing EVERYTHING right for the past 2 months and have seen zero results. I don't know what else I am supposed to do.

I have a nutritionist and a personal trainer. I have not "cheated" at all on my very strict diet. I work out 6 days a week running atleast 4 1/2 miles (about an hour of running) every day and 3 days of weight training. I even started taking some diet pills hoping it would kick start weight loss, but again nothing.

Has anyone else had this problem? I don't feel like I can do anything more to move this process along. 2 months is a long time to be on a plateau. I even went to the Dr. who said my metabolism and thyroid are all fine. He had no explination or suggestions as to why I was not losing weight. There is also no change in the way my clothing fits.

I am starting to think I should double my cardio working out in the morning (4 1/2 miles) and in the evenings (another 4 1/2 miles). Although this would probably kill me since I hate working out, but am determined to get this weight off.

I am going to Hawaii in 7 weeks and am absolutley desperate to lose something! Suggestions and support would be great because Long John Silver's has that new parmasean popcorn fish bites which I am dying to try. And if I don't see the scale moving or my pants dropping to the floor soon I'm going to just throw in the towel all together and just eat! ... then live in fear that some Hawaiian native will harpoon me.

HawaiiBoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:50 AM   #2  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

well it sounds to me like you may not be getting enough calories, but I am not sure how your nutritionist could over look that....what is you daily diet like?
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I have to admit that I'm a bit uncomfortable second guessing a nutritionist and a personal trainer ... However ... since most of us have to learn our own bodies and their ways ... I wonder about the perfect plan first shot, ya know?
Almost everyone I can think of who has had a successful weight loss has done some tweaking along the way.
If you want some help tweaking, you could post your food and we could have a try.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:11 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

My boss went from a plus size 16 to a size 3, and when she first started she didn't lose 1 pound in 7 weeks. And she was also doing everything right. Sometimes our bodies aren't ready to let go.

Susan is right, sometimes we've got to do some tweaking. So post your plan, I'd be curious to see your calories and fat grams myself.

Most importantly, Keep at it!! I bet you've got to be getting toned, are you losing inches?

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I always worry when I read "very strict diet." For 20 years, I was either "very strict" or "eat everything" mode. It was a very sad cycle of weight loss/weight gain that I was only able to break when I finally picked a diet that I would never stop, just healthy foods that I liked eating that I could stick to forever.

In my own experience, at one point in my weight loss I had to eat more to lose. My weight loss stalled for 12 weeks until I increased calories, at that time, my weight loss started again.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #6  

Sometimes you just have to hang on! I was at the same weight since Feb 10th. Then on June 2 I was down 1.5 pounds, and in the last two weeks I've lost 4.5 pounds. The only think I changed was that I had to take a long (1,500 mile) road trip last week with my mother, and my workouts were reduced for 5 days.

I was discouraged over my long plateau, and found it really hard to continue with no results. Sometimes, though, you just have to keep working it, and eventually something will let go.
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:47 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 190/166.8/160

Height: 5'10

If your nutritional advice is coming from a nutritionist, I'm gonna have to go with whatever they say to do for food do. He/She is a professional and understands your situation better than any of us do.

I understand plateaus. I lost 5 pounds in 4 weeks. Slowly but surely. I could handle that. Then. Nothing. For over 12 weeks, not a single. Darn thing. It was so frustrating, and I wanted to give up. But giving up wasn't going to take the weight off either. So I stuck with it. And I was doing EVERYTHING right. Exercise and food and I felt like I was being so good. FINALLY the weights started to come off again. Slowly. Again. But atleast it's going in the right direction.

Stick with it. Keep doing what your nutritioinist and PT say and the weight will eventually admit defeat! Maybe not before your trip. But it will come off.
AmberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:54 AM   #8  
Counting down the pounds

S/C/G: 265/230 (RNY)/147/130

There are so many things that can affect weight loss - my keys to losing almost 30 lbs since January 1st was upping my protein levels, exercising - and believe it or not, not exercising (for just a short period of time to let my body rest), reducing calories, limiting sweets. But the one thing I never thought of trying was losing my appetite due to experiencing grief (I've lost almost 8 lbs since June 5th when I lost my beloved dobie). I really REALLY don't recommend losing weight this way.

Anyway, it sounds as if you are doing all the right things, but as someone else commented above, our bodies are sure stubborn and it may take some time to let go.

good luck and hope the plateau breaks for you soon!
chaoskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/219/170

My diet includes a good balance of clean foods (good variety as well). When I say strict though, there is no chocolate/desert in site, and eatting out is just not an option at all, EVER!

On average I eat 180 grams of protein around 40 fat, 1700-1800 calories (we just upped it from 1600/1700 trying to get the scale to move), and 120 grams of Carbs. These numbers increase or descrease slightly each day. I personally think it is a LOT of calories, but he does not want to decrease any less than 1600 calories a day. I disagree, but am sticking to what he says. We did have a discussion about my lack of big booty weightloss and he suggested we up the calories by a hundred and see what happens. Maybe I have not waited long enough? The calories were upped about 3 weeks ago though.

I really appreciate everyone posting. I would hate to blow it all because I am not noticing any results at all. And no, I have not lost inches. I am beginning to wonder if I am one of the freaks on the Discovery Channel that has some rare tumor in her body that needs to be removed. But I guess my Dr. would have caught that and I seriously doubt that is the problem. I guess I'll hang in there... Thanks everyone!
HawaiiBoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Keep us posted would you. We'd like to cheer you on.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #11  
Meg

Sweetie, I don't think you're a freak at all! I don't want to second-guess your nutritionist and personal trainer, but I think your calories are too high for weight loss - as evidenced by you not losing weight for the past two months. Chances are that you've discovered what your maintenance calories are since you've been maintaining your weight at that calorie level.

When I was your weight, I ate about 1300 - 1400 calories/ day, did an hour of cardio/day, and lifted weights five days/week. At that time, I was losing about two pounds per week, which is a safe rate. I doubt that I would have lost at 1700 - 1800 calories/day since my personal maintenance calories are lower than that (1600/day).

That's just me, of course, but if you aren't losing on HIGHER calories, how about talking to your nutritionist and PT about going LOWER?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #12  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

hmmm after reading Mel's post I got to think.... I weigh LESS and I am eating 1600-1700 calories a day and doing an hour of cardio (no weights) - I am losing an average of 1-1.5 pounds a week. Should I lower my calories more? Would I be able to lose it faster (still a safe amount tho).?
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:19 PM   #13  

Don't do that, Courtnie. If you can lose weight eating more, eat more. Your body will appreciate the extra sources of good nutrition. Plus, eating is pleasurable and being hungry is not.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:21 PM   #14  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

That's what I thought Glory. When I start to slow down in losing or stop, I will lower it to 1500-1600 (witch it what I was aiming for but I find most days I am closer to 1700). It probably wont be too long before I lower it.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:23 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiBoung
My When I say strict though, there is no chocolate/desert in site, and eatting out is just not an option at all, EVER!
You going to live your whole life without ever going to a restaurant? Use this time to practice making healthy decisions while dining out. I look at restaurant menus online and make decisions before I'm hungry, surrounded by good smells. I practice moving the chip basket (or bread basket) away from me. I feel comfortable making a zillion special orders (grilled without butter, side salad no cheese, no croutons, dressing on side, etc etc). I know which fast food restaurants have healthy options (Subway turkey wrap, Qdoba naked vegetarian).

These are all good things to learn, we live in a very social, food-oriented society and going out to restaurants is part of living.