Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-09-2006, 03:54 AM   #1  
No Excuses~Better Choices

S/C/G: 14st 6lb/13st 12lb/10st 5lb

Height: 5'2"

Angry I've Hit My All Time High!!

I am so angry with myself! After years and years of constantly starting 'diets', only to fall off track after a week or so, I've finally succeeded in reaching my heaviest weight ... EVER!! I'd recently decided to give up 'diets' and just do my own thing ... trying to eat healthily and watching my portions ... I've basically been maintaining over tha past few weeks, which was better than gaining I guess, but this week I've gained 3lbs ... and it's not even TOM, so I've got no excuses!!

Basically, I'm greedy. Even though I've been eating healthily, I still eat far too much, and at the end of the day I do realise that calories count. It doesn't matter what I eat ... if I eat too much of it I'm going to gain weight. The thought of counting calories for the rest of my life fills me with dread, but I guess that's what I'm going to have to do. Over the years, I've probably had the most success with counting calories. Maybe after a few months, if I can finally lose some weight and see some results, It won't be so difficult.

I'm now at the heaviest weight I've ever been in my whole life, and I must confess that it's come as a bit of a shock. My previously heaviest weight was 182lbs, and I guess I always thought in the back of my mind, as long as I didn't reach that weight again, and managed to stay under it (even if it was only by a pound or two) then I'd just be able to carry on the way I was ... constantly starting new diets and hoping that one day something would 'click' and I'd finally be successful. But no. It hasn't worked. And I need to do something about it.

It's the final straw. I simply can't go on like this any longer. Before I know it, I'm going to be up to 200lbs, and the more I've got to lose the harder it's going to be.

If there's anyone out there in a similar position, starting afresh, and want's to join forces with me, let me know.

Nichola
Fat in Hong Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:27 AM   #2  

Angry

I am with you. I have reached my all time high as well.
dsgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:06 AM   #3  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Fat - try to see calorie counting as a temporary thing - if I thought I was going to be fitdaying everything for the rest of my life it would drive me bug nuts too!

However, through weighing and measuring and knowing how much I can eat for however many calories, I can now eyeball a correct portion - I know what things I can and can't eat and how much I can get away with in a day.

So try and familiarise yourself portion sizes and you'll learn.

Good luck
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:11 AM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Reasonable portion sizes are so much smaller than what I'd naturally pick, counting calories help me to see that. Like 2 frustrated said, it will help retrain yourself.

Hang in there, you can do this!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:16 AM   #5  

Nichola I hit my all time high last month it is really rubbish I was much more than 200 pounds though (that is more my all time low ). I'm a whole 8 pounds lighter now but still 53 pounds heavier than I was in 2004.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 171/167/124

I have always thought if I didn't go over this or that weight I would be ok. Well I went over this or that weight and it really is miserable. No magic words or tips - just try to be positive and keep on these forums - they reallyl are so much help!

Barb
babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:38 PM   #7  
Starting Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by babsy
I have always thought if I didn't go over this or that weight I would be ok.
Oh yah... I hear you on that one! When I was in 16/17 I was around 170 and I would stand on the scale and go, "as long as I don't get to 180." Well then I got to 180 and I said to myself "as long as I stay under 200." And then I KNEW I was gaining weight so I stopped standing on the scale because it depressed me. AND THEN I stood on the scale at weight watchers last fall and it said 220!!! (that was after eating all day cuz I would go in the evenings, and with clothes on - I was probably about 215 at the time) - I did weight watchers for a bit, got down to 206 (about that I think) and then when I started again 3 months ago I was 215 - How did I ever let myself do that *sigh*
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:51 PM   #8  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

I am a calorie counter, and will be for life. That is the only way I've had success losing pounds, and it is when I stopped journalling and counting and was "eyeballing" that I began to put weight back on. I think I will be logging into FitDay every day for the rest of my life, and I am fine with that 5 minutes to help me maintain a healthy weight. I think if you can do it and then develop habits and use your own judgement rather than journal than that's great, but for me whatever I do will be a "process" for the rest of my life and I am okay with that.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #9  
~Believe~

S/C/G: XXX/-155/140

Height: 5'3

I've had a weight problem most of my life. I lost weight in HS and looked pretty good. I had to do a lot of work to even lose those 50 lbs! For me weight loss doesn't come easy at all! I have to about kill myself to even lose a pound and now that I'm older and have more weight to lose and diabetes and PCOS, I feel like I keep running into a wall over and over again!
I always told myself that I would NEVER let myself get this big and here I am! I feel like a complete and total failure. I feel like I have such a long and windy road to go to lose weight that why should I even bother? To lose weight I can't eat hardly anything and have to exercise like mad. Just seems like such hard work to even lose a pound. Why it is that some people have such a hard time and others can lose weight with no problems?
I know nothing worth doing isn't easy. Its hard work. Just seems sometimes like I'm going nowhere and fast............
Sassy_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:15 PM   #10  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

It just seems like others lose weight more easily. For each person it is a struggle and I don't think anyone would consider it easy. Try to keep an upbeat attitude. Read as many posts as you can. Don't give up. I never thought I could do it and failed many times. This time, I believe in myself and know that I will do it. The time frame doesn't matter, the dedication, determination and motivation are my driving forces. Sure it's hard, but in the end, it's your life and something that will help you forever. Good luck and try not to get discouraged. We've all been at the start and it is so worth it.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:10 AM   #11  

Thanks everyone for all your encouraging words I'm feeling much more positive today, and I'm determined to do this once and for all ... because I know I HAVE TO! I've started journaling again ... keeping track of every little morsel that passes my lips, and I will keep doing it for as long as it takes ... and beyond ... I really want to do this.

I know that this has got to be for life and not just for a few weeks or months ... there's no going back to the bad ways ... God, I feel such a fraud ... I've lost count of how many times I've said the same thing over the past few years! But this time is going to be different ... I've said that too but this time I mean it ... I WILL DO IT!!

To those of you who have been struggling the same as me ... let's do it together. It's not going to be easy ... there will be many ups and downs along the way, but if we stick with it and don't give up every time we have a bad day, or week, or whatever, we can be successful like so many others on this site.

I'm in it for the long haul and I hope some of you will join me on the road to success. I check out the threads on this site regularly so I'm here to offer support and encouragment to anyone who needs it.

I look forward to getting to know you ... Who's in?

Let's do it!!

Nichola
Old 05-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #12  
~Believe~

I agree. We all have our ups and downs. It isn't an easy journey. If it were, the whole world would all look like models now wouldn't they? lol. I think we need to all realize we are human beings and we can't always be "perfect". Just be the best you, that you can be.
Old 05-10-2006, 08:04 PM   #13  
Healthy Living

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'5"

I'm in! I just joined today and am feel so relieved to hear that I'm not alone. I've had several shocks lately in seeing weights that I only saw when I was pregnant. And it's concentrated in my belly making me look pregnant. I've started eating healthy stuff but still gaining weight. I love grapefruit but can eat 6 in a day! I best start counting calories too. Shall we create a new support goup? Set a small goal to be accomplished in a short time? How do this work?
SSarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #14  
~Believe~

Hello and Welcome, Sarah! I'm new too! This is a great place! Feel free to add me to your Yahoo Messenger (if you have it) My Id is Fatt_lady or feel free to email at [email protected], if you want!

WELCOME!
Old 05-11-2006, 03:03 AM   #15  

Fatt Lady, you are so right ... if it was easy, who in their right mind would choose to be fat and flabby, instead of slim and healthy? ... Not me that's for sure! Well, I've now made my choice ... and I don't want to be fat & flabby anymore!

Sarah, glad to have you join us I have the same problem exactly ... I eat (mostly!) healthy food, but too much of it I think I sort of got into the way of thinking, that as long as it was good for me, I could eat as much as I liked ... but now I realise of course, it doesn't work like that I know that keeping track of what I'm eating every day does work ... I've done this in the past and have managed to lose weight, but the moment I stop, and think I can do it without writing everything down, the weight creeps back on.

I hope we can keep this thread going as I need as much support as I can get right now, and I'm more than willing to offer the same in return. I also think, for some, having mini challenges to work towards is a good idea ... but if anyone wants to join in without doing any challenges, then that's fine too. From past experience, I know that some people (me included) can begin to feel a little overwhelmed or under pressure if they have to take part in a challenge and find themselves not doing as well as others, and sometimes end up dropping out of the challenge and giving up ... and we don't want that to happen do we

So, let's get this group started

How about starting off by telling us all a bit about ourselves?

This is me .......

I'm 43, married for 19 years, with two teenagers ... son 17, daughter 14. I was a chubby child, but lost the weight naturally when I was around 12/13. Looking back, I was slim throughout my teenage years and early twenties, but I was never totally happy with the way I looked. Consequently, I was always trying out various different diets in the hope of being super slim and model-like ... ridiculous I know! God, what I wouldn't give to have the figure that I had back then! I gained a little weight when I got married, but the real problem began when the kids came along ... they have a lot to answer for!! Since then I have really struggled with my weight, which is increasing year after year, and this really worries me. I don't want to go on like this any longer so I've chosen to do something about it.

Look forward to finding out about you all too!

Nichola