Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-12-2006, 12:11 PM   #1  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Default Black outs

I have recently, since I started exercising suffered from black outs. Could they be related?
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:29 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Loopy, please see a doctor about the black-outs! It could be a number of things, but it sounds very frightening.
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #3  
Little Miss Random

I know, I hate to think what wud happen if it happened when I was driving. I mean is it even a reason viable to pulling on the hard shoulder?
Old 06-12-2006, 01:15 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Definitely see a doctor. The only problem I had with blacking out was when I was on diet pills several years ago. It could be coming from many different things and you need to know what is causing it.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #5  

Yes, having a blackout is a medical emergency and is a valid reason for pulling on to the hard shoulder. If you didn't and caused an accident you could be done for reckless driving (if you survived that is).

Go to the doctor, or at least your local NHS drop in centre if your gp is like mine and you can't get in, they can do a preliminary screening. NHS direct (the English government telephone health line) is also helpful for questions like this too, and can give you some pointers on how urgent they feel an assessment should be done if you are in any doubt.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 05:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Wow, that sounds really scary!! I 4th or 5th the idea to see a doctor! Let the doc know about your food AND exercise regimes!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:15 PM   #7  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

My first thought is... are you getting enough water?

Definately talk to your doctor!!!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #8  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

My thought is how is your BP? Blood Pressure
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:27 PM   #9  

At first I thought you meant you were getting blackouts while you were exercising, but it sounds like you get them whenever, and it's just that they started when you started exercising.

I say: DON'T DRIVE! If you should get a sudden blackout while behind the wheel, you could kill yourself and people in the cars around you. I mean it, until you see a doctor for this, take the utmost care. People with epilepsy aren't allowed to drive for 6 months after they have a seizure. They must really have it under control before they're allowed behind the wheel. A blackout can be a form of epileptic seizure.

It could also be due to low blood pressure or blood sugar or mini strokes or a tumor, or something else. You really can't blow this off. See a doctor.

It could very well be related to the exercise, so maybe switch to something gentler then whatever type of exercise you're doing now, at least until you see the doc.

I also agree with the people who suggested that you make sure you have enough water.

Are they really total blackouts or just wooziness/dizziness? When I was in my early 20s, I went on a 600 calorie a day diet (veggies, milk, little else) for several months and suffered bouts of lightheadedness. Upping your intake of food may help if you're eating too few calories.

Please post back and let us know how you're doing.
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:36 AM   #10  

Def go to the doctors I get them and mine seem to be blood pressure related especially around my period. I've had a full blood screening and an ECG and apart from slightly low thyroid and slightly low iron count it was fine so with me its just taking it easy. SO if you start to feel faint and are driving pull off the road. I passed out once just after driving and it terrifies me that 2 mins earlier I was driving the car god knows what would have happened. It can be medical though so make sure you get checked out properly if your doc doesn't take it seriously keep going back.

Use the NHS walk in clinic they were really good for me saw me straight away when I went even though there was a big queue I got a huge glare off the people waiting. They did blood pressure there and hooked me up to some moniters and they gave me a finger prick test for iron count and then diabetis. then they referred me to the gp where I had full blood tests and got questioned about my diet living habits etc.

It is really scary you don't realise how much until it happens. Its the second most scary thing thats happened to me second only to having such a bad asthma attack that I couldn't breathe so make sure you take it seriously.
impossible princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:56 AM   #11  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

I read a post in another thread with your daily food

branflakes, fruit and beans on toast could be the reason! I'd eat a little more! But definitely get checked out by the docs too!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 12:24 PM   #12  
Little Miss Random

I seem to have been ok today. I must admit that for the past few weeks now I have not eaten anything during the day, and it seems to be related as the blackouts happen a lot more just lately. My BP is fine, was checked under 2 weeks ago, when I last went to the doctors for other issues.

I drink above 2 litres of water a day, so surely that is enough. To be honest I put it down to the hot weather.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:56 PM   #13  

Not eating during the day, hot weather, and exercise is a recipe for disaster.

You need fuel to exercise. If you continue to do this, you are taking a big risk. I know you just want the weight off, we all do, but not fuelling your body appropriately will just mean you lose muscle mass rather than fat, and will be more susceptible to weight gain.

I'm not trying to lecture you, but you asked for advice, so I'm giving it to you straight.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 02:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 297/137/150

In regards to blacking out while driving you can be charged with reckless driving if you have a mean cop. Even if you are lucky however and it is still reported as you have blacked out you can lose your liscense until you have medical proof that it most likely happened again.

When I had my tongue pierced I didn't eat for two weeks. Lost 30 lbs too. Best diet I was ever on. I blacked out and had to have several CAT scans until I could get my DL back.
Ophelia924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I echo kykaree, if you starve your body long enough it'll make losing weight harder. It's not worth it.

Also, are you driving? That really does frighten me, what if you were to black out then? You are putting others at risk.

Weight loss is hard, finding the right balance of what works constantly changes. And in the end, it's not worth your health, and the safety of others. I'd still see a doctor, find out what else could be a factor. Maybe they can give you a safer way to lose weight faster?

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote