Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-05-2006, 12:23 PM   #1  

Default getting so lazy exercise-wise

So far so good on maintaining my loss, but I can't seem to motivate myself to exercise. It's like if you let it go for a few days, then that turns into a few more, then a few more, and, well, you get my drift. I wasn't exercising like a madwoman, but I would take a half hour walk a few times a week and maybe run on my rebounder a couple of times a week. Lately, nothing. There's been no regain of any weight and I've been careful w/what I'm eating, but I know I should be exercising too. I just feel like I need to confess and maybe get a little kick in the rear to motivate me.
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/207/135

Height: 5'6

I've been feeling the same way too. I'm ashamed to say that I haven't been to the gym in almost two weeks. I've gotten to the point where if I don't go I'm going to pull my hair out, because I'm not liking what I see on the scale. All you have to do is just give yourself that extra push to get that half hour. You can do it.
athenac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 02:40 PM   #3  
Fat-be-gone

me three!! I've been off of the excercise wagon for a month already!! I guess what keeps me going (when I actually do the excercise) is the pair of jeans I want to fit into. The cute little skirt that I want to go out and get. Yes, I know. My reasons may all be for vanity, but if that's what keeps me going, then so be it.

Lipidful-I can't really say what should keep you motivated , since I am not in the maintenance phase, but just think about how you would feel if you went back to the weight you were at. I bet you'd feel bad if all your hard work went down the drain. So keep working at it so you'll neve be there again.
Rosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I had surgery at the end of April and took 2 1/2 weeks off from my walking. When I started back, I was only able to walk 1/2 mile. I found the longer that I went without any exercise , the lazier I felt and the less I felt like getting any exercise. I joined an exercise challenge here on 3FC on the Low-carb board to help get me back motivated to exercise. I am back up to 1 1/2 miles walking about 4 times a week now. Like you, I thought the lbs. would start creeping back on when I didn't exercise, but I was actually still losing pretty quickly. Anyway, maybe one of the many exercise challenges will help motivate you.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:49 PM   #5  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Oh me too!.. (or is that me five?) anyways. I haven't gone to the gym in a week. I feel so lazy and nasty. I was going to go today but I came down sick over the weekend and I'm hoping a bit of rest will help it clear up quickly.
The thing that has me determined to go is that I can see my belly sticking out a bit more. I bet I gained my 5 pounds that I lost back >_<...

I guess it is really hard to start once one falls into a bit of a rif. When that happens to me..(like this week).. I try to slowly jump back on so it dosn't seem like such a effort. going for walks.. working out in the living room.. taking a bike ride. (which I'm about to go do even though it's not good for my sickness at the moment :P ) Then for me it dosn't seem so bad to hit the gym. ^_^..
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I hate to tell people to buy things because heaven knows how much money I've spent on gadgets but ... my heart rate monitor has add an entirely new dimension to my exercise. Oh I could lift a little heavier and walk a little further but this ... THIS ... is intensity.
Can I go just a few more seconds at this heart rate? Can I get my rate up just a few beats more while biking? What if I jog a few meters? What if I skip a few yards?
There's dozens of ways to spruce things up. And it's a fun challenge every time.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #7  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Everytime I've found myself pulling away from exercise I've changed my routine. If I was doing videos, and found myself skipping more days than I was doing, I'd buy a bike and start cycling. Once I found myself jumping in the car more than on the bike, I'd buy a speed rope. I now have enough exercise equipment and material to work with, plus a membership in Curves. I can always change to something else. The change keeps me interested. Recently I've taken up walks/runs in the park every morning. When I've seen all that park there is to see, I'll likely want to do something different again.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #8  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

I'm having a hard time getting motivated to working out again after taking a week off from Curves because of shin splints. I'm not so sore now, so I know I could do a gentle workout but I keep putting it off. I HAVE to get back to my routine, otherwise I know I'll slack off and quit exercising altogether. I need a good kick in the butt .
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 236/165/145

Default Gym Laziness

I totally feel you guys on this! I haven't fallen off the wagon as far as not going to the gym, yet. But since the summer has started, I've had less energy to do the workouts I was doing in the Spring time. The heat in Texas is unbearable, I just cant stand it. I used to be able to stay for about 2.5 hours at the gym, and now I'm only staying 1.5. I guess something is better than nothing. In the past years of trying to lose weight, it was in the summer time when I'd just totally give up going to the gym and caring and I'd gain the weight I'd lost right back.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is: If you want to gain that weight back that you've already lost, then don't go to the gym. And if you don't, then get on it! hahaha

*maggie*
JustAGirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:23 PM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpal
I'm having a hard time getting motivated to working out again after taking a week off from Curves because of shin splints. I'm not so sore now, so I know I could do a gentle workout but I keep putting it off. I HAVE to get back to my routine, otherwise I know I'll slack off and quit exercising altogether. I need a good kick in the butt .
You shouldn't need to stop doing Curves because of shin splints. You simply do the workout, but skip the machines that would put pressure on the legs. Focus on the arms and waist. That way you're keeping the motivation to continue exercising, but giving your legs the break they need.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:54 PM   #11  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostheaven
You shouldn't need to stop doing Curves because of shin splints. You simply do the workout, but skip the machines that would put pressure on the legs. Focus on the arms and waist. That way you're keeping the motivation to continue exercising, but giving your legs the break they need.
Good point! I guess I was just looking for an excuse not to work out.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:11 AM   #12  
Eat less, taste more

S/C/G: 179/166/128

Mark me down as having a hard time on this one too! For me I think its just another form of self-sabotage. My eating is getting under control so I need something else to be "too hard". My latest approach is to tell myself... Fine...don't *exercise* but movement isn't optional...my life is not to be wasted on sitting like a lump...get out and live and hopefully there won't be time to worry about how much weight I have to lose, how I should exercise and certainly no time to stuff myself full of food I don't need to be eating!

Casey
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 11:23 AM   #13  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I've just been going through a time where I got pooped doing my full amount of exercise, went on a couple of little vacations, got back and had a hard time getting back in the routine. I spent a bunch of weeks maintaining or just going down 1/2 lb, 1/4 lb. Grrr. I don't get that time back, unfortunately! Glad to say this week went well.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 02:40 PM   #14  
~sexy chicka~

S/C/G: 265/185/165 5'5"

Talking Friendly competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by penpal
Actually penpal, I've been kinda running my own secret race with you. You were a couple of pounds ahead of me in the weigh loss for quite a while, and now I've finally caught up. I JUST got back on my A-game in exercise (in the past 3 weeks), and charting out my weight loss the results are pretty obvious.

So, how's about we keep this up? I know our goals aren't quite the same, but it's always fun to have a competition buddy. Race ya to the finish line
Cardiomonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:52 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I am having a similar problem. I wasn't working, so I was able to take my dogs on 4 mile walks 5 times a week. I loved it. The weather was perfect and I was able to increase my speed weekly. Now I'm working full time and the weather stinks (it is over 105 degrees and humid). I was able to go out on Memorial Day weekend each day for my regular walk, and it was great, but the weather heated up (even over 80 at 6:00 AM) and I have no desire to go outside! My DH has a gym membership and I can go with her for a nominal price (or even join myself) but I've always hated to go to the gym. I have a NordicTrak at home and it gathers dust (I used to use it faithfully the last time I needed to lose weight). Now, I spend my mornings preparing breakfast and lunch for the whole family, drop off the kids at school, go to work, spend my after work time running the kids to their various after school activities, and then home to make dinner. By 8:00 PM, we're done eating and I'm done for the night. No way I can fit exercise in--I'm too exhausted at that point. And I already get up before 5:00 AM. It's terrible, but I did manage to lose 1/2 a pound so far this week! So I guess it isn't all bad!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote