Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #1  

Default no magic solution

I have nothing against a person who goes the surgery route. But this is just annoying. I was talking to someone who works at the same place I do, but I don't really know her. She asked what I had done and I said "just common sense" and she said, (nicely-not snarky or anything) "oh, so no crazy surgery or anything..." I said "No! Gosh, I hope there are no rumors about anything like that."
I guess so many people are in the spotlight having surgery. I have nothing against it for people who really need it, but why is it so surprising that the solution could be as common sensical as eating less and moving more?
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #2  
Mom of 4

S/C/G: 276/230/175

Height: 5'2"

I understand where you are comming from, people always assume I am taking some kind of diet pill. My receptionist claims my way is too slow and I should take a pill. Why? My experience with pills is as soon as you stop taking it you will gain the weight back because it isnt there to get rid of the cravings anymore. You have to learn to control yourself and take charge of your life. I don't think surgery would do me any good, I love to eat and surgery isnt going to change that. Using my brain on what I eat is the only way for me.
RRVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #3  
Meg

Last edited by Meg; 12-18-2016 at 07:23 PM.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:43 PM   #4  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

Well, it seems to me that even before bariatric surgury was being profiled on so many lose weight programs (some of which, I am sorry, really strike me as being closer to telecommercials then documentaries) no one really seemed to believe that all you needed to do was eat right and exercise.

Or, maybe it is closer to state that people don't seem be believe that you have to eat right and exercise to lose weight. Even with the surgery, they always talk about "the program", and whether someone is being compliant with the program or not. Well, guess what, the program is eating right and exercising.

I think that there is a place for the surgery... but I am concerned with the way the surgery is presented, like it is some miracle cure-all that will instantaneously reverse all of the issues related to obesity. I worry about how many people will seek this option without ever giving eating right and exercise a real, true, and sustained chance to work. I wonder how many people go from "diet scheme" to "diet scheme", each destined to fail by their very nature, and think that there is something wrong with themselves and turn to the surgery.
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:36 PM   #5  
Working on Hot!

S/C/G: 242/225/175

You know every day I hear another health risk in being over weight. My thing is I dont think that weight loss should have to be something you pay for. I think that all the info to lose weight should be free. That way who ever needs it can get the help they need with out worrie of paying for it. No matter who you are, how much money you have. I cant stand the "diet scheme" or the quick weight loss plan I see on tv...I dont think its fair to charge for something to improve you health......Did I get off the subject?
la3y_un1c0rn_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:46 PM   #6  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
But maybe I shouldn't be surprised since the medical system seems to be geared toward medical/surgical solutions for all problems?
Yeah, exactly. It seems like we're experiencing a shift from being able to trust doctors and follow their advice to having to make our own assessments on such things, independent of our doctor's advice. That scares me.

My dad recently asked me what I did to lose weight. I told him I ate less and moved more. Period. I got familiar with the feeling of a growling stomach ... i.e., get hungry before you eat. I think he was wanting to hear me say "LA Weight Loss!" or "The Atkins Diet!" No folks, it's simpler and cheaper than that.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:30 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
No folks, it's simpler and cheaper than that.
Well, it may be cheaper (in regards to not having to buy a crapload of pre-packaged meals and pay for weigh-ins and monthly fees) but it's not always simpler.

Since I've started on this journey, it blows me away how many people I've come across (now that I'm paying more attention) that are completely clueless as to how to lose weight and KEEP it off. And I used to be one of those people. For them, buying pre-packaged meals and having their plans mapped out for them is much simpler than counting their own calories, measuring their food, weighing everything on a scale, exercising regularly, etc etc etc. I know there was a time I didn't wanna do all that either. No way. I was too lazy. I was too impatient. I wanted a quick and easy solution. And that was to go on a specific diet. Yep, the weight came off. But as soon as I'd go off the diet, I'd gain the weight back and then some. I've said it before and I'll say it again, dieting is what made me fat.

Diets are the 'simple' solution. But to really work to get that weight off and take it off safely and keep it off for life... that's not easy. But for those of us who finally found the willpower and the determination, I'd say we have every right to be proud of ourselves for the 'work' we've done and the goals we've accomplished. Because what we've done and what we'll BE doing the rest of our lives isn't a piece of cake.

But it's worth it
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #8  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoreth
Well, guess what, the program is eating right and exercising.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote