Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-24-2006, 09:13 AM   #16  
Fat-be-gone

Thanks guys for the awesome tips. I will try to use some of them.

Courtnie-I tried waking up at 5:30 this morning to get a workout in. But for some reason my alarm didn't go off. I blamed it on the bf because I thot he changed the time. Turns out I did, I just don't remember. LOL
Rosario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:22 AM   #17  
sli
On A Mission

S/C/G: 209/135/130

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejm
My first "reward" was an mp3 player. I listen to audio books while I work out. I don't let myself listen to them any other time...if I want to find out what happened, I have to work out lol And sometimes I work out longer, so I can listen to the next part! My library has a program where you can down load books to your computer. Very cool!
I do the exact same thing. It really helps and keeps your mind off of what you are doing!
sli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:40 AM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical
I find that if I wake up early and do it first thing then I don't think about how much I don't want to do it all day. I also got my own stuff at home, I rented a treadmill and was really good about using that until I got an exercise bike. You can get an exercise bike for like 100$, it doesnt make hardly any noise, I ride that for an hour and watch tv, before I know it I am done and burned 500 calories! I really recommed it! I have all the videos and stuff too, but right the bike is the easiest for me! And like I said, I get up and do it first thing, then it is out of the way!

I have been looking for a place that will rent out exercise equipment. I cannot find one here in ga or either I'm looking in the wrong places. What city do you live in and what company did you rent your treadmill from. I'm looking for an elliptical and I will be so happy once I find on. Thanks.
gagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:44 PM   #19  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosario
Courtnie-I tried waking up at 5:30 this morning to get a workout in. But for some reason my alarm didn't go off. I blamed it on the bf because I thot he changed the time. Turns out I did, I just don't remember. LOL
At least you tried!!! Try again tomorrow - you can do it I give myself lots of time and wake up in time to watch the end of saved by the bell and dawsons creek! Not that I like those shows, but that's all that's on at 6am! lol
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:45 PM   #20  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirl
I have been looking for a place that will rent out exercise equipment. I cannot find one here in ga or either I'm looking in the wrong places. What city do you live in and what company did you rent your treadmill from. I'm looking for an elliptical and I will be so happy once I find on. Thanks.
I live in Nanaimo, BC, Canada. I rented from:
http://www.advantagehealthandfitness.com/
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:51 PM   #21  
One day at a time..

S/C/G: 264/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

I'm with the TV watchers I get on my elliptical and watch TV, it's much easier. I tried listening to music, but after a while you don't wanna listen to the same songs over and over.

I HATE exercising, believe me, I have wasted money on gym memberships.. I even had a month to month I was paying.. and didn't go. I finally put that money towards an elliptical. If I don't feel like exercising, I peek in the other room and know I have no excuse not to. I also have "before" photos, those really help.
MizCandula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:09 PM   #22  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have a hard time exercising sometimes too. When I get really lazy and just don't want to use my treadmill, I come here. I find inspirational people that will give me that much needed kick in the butt. I then feel guilty and get my butt in gear. The support here is so great and I always think if everyone else can exercise, so can I.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 02:04 PM   #23  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

For me I can't workout in the morning, I'm just not a morning person. I usually eat dinner right when I get home from work, and then workout after that before I do anything else. I found I couldn't stick to workouts until I realized they were *too difficult* for me. I put away the Billy Blanks Tae Bo and started with Leslie Sansung's Walk Away the Pounds. After a few weeks of doing that faithfully (my first goal was twice a week, then later on it was 5 days a week) I started to feel much better and much healthier. Working out at home was less of a chore because I didn't feel so exhausted and without energy. When I eat better it helps too, good food gives me the energy I need. I guess it's like a puzzle you have to figure out for yourself, and get all your pieces in place. I'd just say, if you don't like gyms, that won't work (it didn't for me, whether I was paying or not) or if you don't like workout DVDs that won't either. Just got to find something you like, or at least can tolerate. Good luck, I know you'll stick with it!
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:33 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I think there are a lot of tips for getting your workouts in. Here are a few of mine:

~Find exercise that you LIKE to do. I absolutely HATE team sports such as softball, volleyball, basketball...so it would do me no good at all to sign up for a league. I simply would not go. I hate it that much. If there is a particular exercise that you dislike so much that you just don't ever want to do it-then it probably isn't the exercise for you. I also hate step aerobics.
I found that for me-I like walking, yoga, Pilates, strength training, and belly dancing-I ended up like that so much that I eventually joined a troupe and started teaching it myself.
Exercise doesn't have to be the treadmill...or an exercise video, if you don't like it. There are classes out there that are FUN-swing dance classes, adult ballet classes, ballroom dancing (if you have a willing partner), clogging/country line dancing, water aerobics-you name it, it is out there. Think outside the box if you absolutely cannot bear to do a Kathy Smith video every day.

~Think of exercise as something you are "scheduled" to do. I don't buy the "I don't have time" excuse from ANYONE. You don't have to do an hour at a time-there are short videos with 10 minute segments (the only way I could exercise with a newborn 5 years ago-I just did the segments one at a time inbetween feedings!) and solutions for those who are short on time. Write it in your planner if you need to-just like a nail appointment, or haircut. Tell yourself that you are scheduled to go to the gym after work for 40 minutes, or that you are to do a 20 minute walk on the treadmill when you get home BEFORE you can do anything else. Just make the appointement with yourself-and do it. We often take up more time thinking about how to get out of it, than it would actually take to do it and be done.

~Think of your body. You can get to a smaller weight or a smaller size with diet alone-but, it will be a slower process, and you will not get the body of your dreams. Exercise burns more calories-so you lose FASTER (now there is incentive) as well as making your body BETTER, and not just smaller.
A 150 pound woman with saddlebags and a flat rear-losing without exercise- is going to end up a 135 pound woman with smaller saddlebags and a smaller flat rear. Without exercise, she is never going to have the firmer thighs and the more shapely butt that she wants.
A soft belly can get smaller, but you will never have great looking, defined abs without exercise. The list goes on and on...
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:36 PM   #25  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

Even though I've never done it, I cannot see myself renting a piece of equipment. If you can rent a treadmill at $50/month over 6 months, that's $300...you can buy a really good USED treadmill for $300-$500.

I bought mine for $400 over a year ago (used) from a lady that gets her nails done at the same place i do. She used it ONCE and it was an $800 treadmill brand new. DH and I both use it multiple times a week. Most of the times I run at a pace of 6.0-6.8 on the treadmill for 30-45 min and I've never had an issue with it failing on me.

Go for the used equipment! It's a gold mine out there!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:00 PM   #26  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I just logged onto CraigsList in the Atlanta area (from your profile info on your post) - lots of low-price fitness equipment in new or like-new condition. If you need something you can do in front of the TV, it helps to have something you can just get on and go - for me this is an inexpensive rebounder, lots of people use treadmills or bikes.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Our treadmill is out in the garage, but my husband takes his PSP (it is like a mini Playstation that plays either video games, or the UMD tiny dvd movies) and he watches one of his movies while he is on there. It fits right on the "dash" of the treadmill-and he is happy watching Billy Madison, or Dawn Of The Dead-or other guy movies while he exercises.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:57 PM   #28  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

Hey, maybe you're just not a morning person. I usually work out before or even a couple hours after dinner. (Careful: do it too late and it's hard to get to sleep.)
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:38 AM   #29  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosario
Thanks guys for the awesome tips. I will try to use some of them.

Ahh...I hate when I do that, and I do it alot! I feel bad enough for not waking up on time, and then even worse when I realize it's my own fault!
Rtael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 02:38 AM   #30  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical
At least you tried!!! Try again tomorrow - you can do it I give myself lots of time and wake up in time to watch the end of saved by the bell and dawsons creek! Not that I like those shows, but that's all that's on at 6am! lol

If you get up a little earlier you can watch Mama's Family, and that's some quality programming right there!
Rtael is offline   Reply With Quote