Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-16-2006, 03:05 PM   #1  

Default "don't lose any more" comment

I got one of those today in the form of
"Look at how slender you are...you look great but you're not gonna lose any more, are you?"
Which makes me think, "Oh no, have I gone too far?" "Do I look emaciated?"
But I'm between 140 and 145 and 5'6", so I can't possibly be too skinny! Jeez!
Just had to vent. Thanks for "listening" LOL
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #2  
LLV

Yeah, I've heard that before. In fact just the other day a male friend of mine said, "Actually, I think you could USE a few more pounds."

Phooey.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 185/168/150

Height: 5'8

The people that say it are usually the same ones who said you need to lose weight in the first place.Go figure
fitbyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:47 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Keep in mind you are at a NORMAL weight for you height.

I am actually surpsrised to find a lot of guys dont like really thin girls.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:54 PM   #5  
Jaded Lady & Mom of 2

S/C/G: 242/242/160

Height: 5'6"

I got that statement from my MIL. Basically meaning stop loosing weight because she can't loose it. I ignore it. I will loose it until I am comfortable with my weight and how I look to me. Remember, you are doing this for yourself, not anyone else. Basically when she asks me that (which is like every time she sees me) I just shrug and say if it comes off, it comes off
Cafe Ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:07 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Hmmm...actually from a different perspective one of my girlfriends lost a lot of weight several years ago. It was the first time any of us have ever seen her thin. At the time I thought she looked too thin. Of course I didn't mention this to her at the time. Thank goodness, because in reality I just wasn't used to the new look. I thought she looked too bony. But it was only because I had never seen her collar bone or wrists before. After a couple months of maintaining I became used to it and now can see that it is a healthy weight for her.

Stick with your original goal. If you get there and find that maintenance is too difficult or if your Dr. suggests a higher weight then adjust. For now just appreciate the fact that people aren't used to the new you.
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 224/144/140

Sometimes I get the feeling that the people in my life that say that to me are really just shocked that I, personally, am this thin now. I certainly am not tiny by normal standards, and I visibly still have fat to lose, but my hubby and my mom, etc. seem shocked to see ME this thin.

I took those comments negatively at first, but now I just try to put it in that kind of perspective.
hart104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #8  

People may not be used to you looking as good as you look. You need to be comfortable with yourself. I would use the weight charts as a guide, and if you were 40 lbs underweight, then I would worry. You sound like you are at a good weight, and if you want to lose some more as a buffer, go for it!
chrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:11 PM   #9  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I have had these comments from my sister that is heavier than me. I am 5'7 and 150, goal is 145. You are only an inch shorter than me and I think you are not trying to be unrealistic with your weight loss, just healthy. In fact, I still see where I may end up needing to lose another 5 lbs. or so to feel pleased with my tummy. Good luck and do what feels right to you.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:02 AM   #10  

Thanks, all for your responses.
Those kinds of statements (don't lose any more) make me uncomfortable, because sometimes when I look in the mirror, I myself am a little shocked. LOL
In my mind's eye, I still have an image of myself, and when I see myself in a full length mirror, sometimes it almost frightens me b/c I look so different. But I think I'm just a regular size. I actually don't plan on losing any more, but I hope that people will understand that in order to keep the weight off, I DO have to continue to watch what I do. It doesn't mean I'm "obsessed" or trying to lose more; it just means I want to hold on to what I've accomplished.
lipidful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #11  

Height: 5'8.5"

Sometimes I don't think people realize how thoughtless their comment sound when they say this! You literally work your butt off and then they say you are too small. You sound great for your weight and height! I would say just don't let it get under your skin and let it roll right on off... LOL it's better than being too fat!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:35 AM   #12  
I restore Teeth.

Well, I got that comment along time ago even though I wasn't even thin! It depends, if your a healthy weight it may seem to some that you should stop losing.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:42 AM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

If your losing weight in a healthy manner and are happy with yourself, don't let others comments bother you.

I had the same thing many years ago when I went from 195 down to 110 in a few months. Unfortunately in my case, they were right. I wasn't following a healthy diet, I just quit eating. My hair was falling out in my brush. But when I looked into a mirror, all I saw was this 200 pound weeble staring back at me.....that can't happen now, my husband won't let me do that to myself, he is happy with me the way I am and its a bit easier now to diet in a healthy but slow manner with his support.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:45 AM   #14  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiL
If your losing weight in a healthy manner and are happy with yourself, don't let others comments bother you.

I had the same thing many years ago when I went from 195 down to 110 in a few months. Unfortunately in my case, they were right. I wasn't following a healthy diet, I just quit eating. My hair was falling out in my brush. But when I looked into a mirror, all I saw was this 200 pound weeble staring back at me.....that can't happen now, my husband won't let me do that to myself, he is happy with me the way I am and its a bit easier now to diet in a healthy but slow manner with his support.

I love my hair too much to do anything like that!!!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:10 AM   #15  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

OK, I have found that the underlying reason for people saying that you are "too skinny" when you are clearly at a healthy weight after successfully reducing is that their perceptions of you have changed, and you have changed too. I lost alot of weight, only to have a friend tell me that "you are too skinny", notwithstanding the fact that I could lose 25 lbs more. When I asked her about it, she said "you aren't supposed to look better than me". SO, our dynamic had changed -- she felt better about her lack of fitness when I was heavy. Once I took charge of it, and lost the weight, and was smaller than her, she felt that now I looked good and she didn't. She would be more comfortable with me if I was "the fat one" and she was just "a bit heavy". Try to understand the underlying emotions of those people, and if they aren't supportive, just ignore it and keep with your program. I WOULD say you were too skinny if you lose another 25 lbs, though, so stay healthy!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote