Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-09-2006, 04:26 PM   #1  

Unhappy Looking for a suggestion

less than 2 years ago, i was an even 122 pounds. Now at 160 i look back and wonder, what happened. I never changed my eatting or exersize habbits. Ive tryed liturally everything but the weight wont come off, I don't fit in a pair of pants i bought less than a month ago. i cant figure it out...and no im not pregnant.
hummm, the fustration....what to do....
zaar_jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:24 PM   #2  

Can you give us more info? How old are you? How much do you eat in a day? How much do you exercise? Have you changed jobs, or what you do all day? More info please!
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:25 PM   #3  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

If you really haven't been eating more and exercising less you might want to go to your doctor for a check up. Sometimes hormonal problems can cause weight gain.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:18 PM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I would also suggest a physician exam, it could be hormonal or something else going on. Also try journaling your calories and keeping track of your exercise if you aren't already doing this. good luck and well wishes.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:32 PM   #5  
LLV

Or sometimes it's just because we're eating more than we think. Yes, weight gain can come from physical/medical issues, but most of the time it comes from taking in too many calories. And believe me, sometimes we don't KNOW how many calories we're taking in until we start keeping track of it.

I'd suggest keeping a food journal for a while and recording everything you eat to see how many calories you're taking in per day. I didn't think I was eating all that much either. But I ended up weighing 220 pounds anyway.

Try fitday.com. Check out some online calorie calculators as well to see how many calories you should be taking in for your age, sex, height, weight and activity level. Keep track of everything you eat (no cheating!) for a few days (eat normally like you're doing now, don't change anything) and record it all. Then compare how much you're taking in to how much you SHOULD be taking in.

If you're taking in 'maintenance' calories or below and still gaining or not losing, then yes, I'd see your doctor. But again, it's very possible you're taking in more calories than your body needs.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 01:30 PM   #6  

Im 19 years old, I work for a bank, i generally get an hour a day in exersize, i use to have ADHD as a child which ment i was excessivly hyper but now i barely have the energy to lift my own leg, lol
i tend to eat small portions but often, so about every 3 hours. I really can figure it out, like im gaining weight rapidly. and i mean im a salad junkie....hummm...i dun get it...
Old 05-11-2006, 01:32 PM   #7  

yah as soon as i can get another health card, ill be on top of getting some check ups, i doubt there is anything wrong, however better safe, than sorry i guess
Old 05-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #8  
Running Wild

this is the exact thing that happened to me however i caught it and self diagnosed and went to the doctor after only 12 lbs of instant weight in just over a month. i was sleeping all the time. cold, hot. everything was just wrong with me all of a sudden....took some time but eventually i was deemed to be right and my thyroid had shut completely down. Lord only knows what would have happened if i hadnt been of the "vain" type and immediately sought out an endocronologist.

yes i have lost the weight for the most part, but the age thing is also kicked in (at 42) so i have some of the mid stuff still going on... alot of exercise and months of getting my meds right, and finally its all paid off. i still have to exercise like a fiend, but i like to eat so its all worth it!

get your levels (thyroid) checked!!!!
JustJuneBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 225/169/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi there! It seems like you have a good exercise regimen already, so for that! Maybe it's your eating that's causing the extra weight. You said you eat a lot of salad, but not all salads are created equal (which I'm sure you know ). For example, I remember last year (before I made my lifestyle change) I would get iceburg lettuce (no nutritional value), full fat shredded cheese, ham and pepperoni, and cover it in ranch dressing--and I thought that was healthy! :laugh: What kinds of food do you normally have for your meals?
PandyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #10  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Keep in mind your 19 and growing. You are going to gain SOME weight.

I would assume you are out of school. I know when I went to high school I walked there and back everyday I was running back and forth from class to class. When I done high school I stopped walking... so there went some exercise. I also wasn't busy all day long so I would have a snack here or there that I normally wouldn't eat. Etc, I gained weight. I didn't know why at first but now I think about it I do. Even tho I didn't change what I was eating, I changed every other habit.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:53 PM   #11  

my salads are usually romane lettus, i hate iceburg lettuce, green and red peppers, sometimes tomatoes, and usually one egg or a few scoops of tuna on top, dressing is usually minimul and is either low fat italian, i mean i do stray and eat junk foor once and awhile, but i prefure mangoes to chocolate, for snacks i like popcorn with a few spoons of salsa or some channa (chick peas in english)

i mean culturally we eat alot of rice, but i mean i dont eat it that often anymore since i moved on my own and started working, not much time to cook.

i mean it could be partly stress, or something but im always tired even when i do nothing, at first i thought it was laziness, but im generally not a lazy person...
Old 05-11-2006, 04:56 PM   #12  

infact i use to eat more junk food years ago...and i never gained a pound....started eatting healthy and ....well...humm, just doesnt make sence too me...
Old 05-11-2006, 06:36 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I would have to say that part of the equation is that you were 17 when you weighted 122, and now you are getting close to 20. It DOES make a difference, when you are becoming a woman, and not a teenager any longer. It isn't that you have started eating badly, or more...but a lot of people can eat whatever they want when they are still growing and not gain weight-but once their bodies have matured, they no longer have that fast teenage metabolism.

Also, how long have you worked at the bank? Are you a teller, where you sit a lot of the day? This can make a difference as well. Even if you exercise an hour every day-if you are sitting for the rest of it, then that is different than someone who works out every day-but has a more active job-like a waitress, where they are walking back and forth all day long.

If your workouts are okay, then I suggest that you keep a food journal for 1 week. Write down exactly everything you eat and drink each day for 1 straight week. If you eat 3 french fries-write it down. Every nibble counts. Figure up about how many calories you eat each day in that week, and it will give you a starting point of where you need to make some changes. It can be something as simple as a nibble of cookie dough a couple times a week...or changing a high calorie coffee drink habit for someone who has a large mocha every morning. Everyone, if they truly look at their diet, has some habits at first that can be changed for the better.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote