Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #1  

Default I am so very neurotic.

I went to the eye doctor for new glasses awhile ago. He told me I had swollen optic nerves and looked like someone with severe high blood pressure. He referred me to an ophlamologist who said the same thing. I had an upcoming appointment with my GP anyway to review my blood pressure because due to my weight loss I was off the medication for high bp to see what would happen.

Blood pressure is back up. Despite losing 90lbs, eating much better and exercising 3/6 days per week it is back up. We tried just a water pill which has worked previously. It didn't work. My pressure was still high. So, we tried a blood pressure medication. I have been on that for 2 weeks. My blood pressure is now too low. I am dizzy. When I lean down too long I feel like I am going to black out. For some reason, it was the worst yesterday.

Being dizzy? Made me eat. Why? I don't know. I felt like I had low blood sugar or something and the food would help? Everything makes me eat. So this morning, I did not take the blood pressure medication and called the doctor and discussed my issues with the nurse.

Then I start wondering if it is all in my head. I got my weight down to 150 on Friday. I stayed on plan Friday and Saturday. Then Sunday? Dizzy and eating like crazy. Am I afraid to be less than 150? Am I sabotaging myself? I keep trying to remind myself that I am feeling physical symptoms. I am dizzy. I am not making this up. I just don't know why this makes me want to eat. I have already eaten all my snacks for today. I am being sorely tempted by the candy dish which I usually ignore with no problem.

If you have made it this far I am impressed. I was starting to drive myself crazy in my head, so I figured sharing might just help.
sherpamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 171/167/124

I feel like I sabotage myself all the time! When I really start losing, I start feeling sick - even if I'm eating right and enough. When I'm sick to my stomach I have always needed to eat (as weird as that sounds). I think that when I don't feel great I need comfort and I choose food for the comfort. But as to why I start doing that when I'm losing? I don't know the answer. Maybe I'm afraid of failing so I just go ahead and get it over with. Or maybe I'm afraid of not knowing who I will be if I become thin again - it's been such a long time. I'm sorry if I'm rambling, but I've never heard of anyone but me doing the sabotaging thing and it's really got me thinking...
babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

OK, if you are on a blood pressure pill, it will lower your blood pressure. You need to discuss the dosage with your doctor, as your current dose might be lowering you BP too much. Dizziness on rising/after bending down/etc. is called POSTURAL HYPOTENSION, which means that you have a sudden decrease in BP after changing position (usually from lying down to standing, or from bending over to standing). It is not fatal.
Dizziness can result too from low blood sugar levels. Discuss this with your doctor. My thought is that you are interpreting postural hypotension as a low blood sugar level and are eating to try to lessen the symptoms of postural hypotension. All the donuts in the world won't lessen these symptoms. That being said, why not move to a maintenance phase of your weight instead of a weight loss phase? Increase your calories to maintain your weight until you get your BP under control. This way, you can sort out your issues one at a time without confusion. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR!!
Good luck!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:27 PM   #4  
No description available.

There are other reasons that can cause a swollen optic nerve. Have you had an MRI?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:38 PM   #5  

Thanks guys!

Quote:
If you are on a blood pressure pill, it will lower your blood pressure. You need to discuss the dosage with your doctor, as your current dose might be lowering you BP too much.
I am aware of this, but it is lowering my top number too much and not affecting my bottom number which is what we were trying to do with the medicine. I have called my doctor, hopefully he will call back soon.

Quote:
Dizziness on rising/after bending down/etc. is called POSTURAL HYPOTENSION, which means that you have a sudden decrease in BP after changing position (usually from lying down to standing, or from bending over to standing). It is not fatal.
This I did not know. I figured it wasn't fatal, but it isn't much fun.

Quote:
Dizziness can result too from low blood sugar levels. Discuss this with your doctor. My thought is that you are interpreting postural hypotension as a low blood sugar level and are eating to try to lessen the symptoms of postural hypotension. All the donuts in the world won't lessen these symptoms.
How did you know I was eating donuts? I actually just had a ton of blood tests and know that my blood sugar is okay. It is just that my silly head uses any excuse to eat.

Quote:
There are other reasons that can cause a swollen optic nerve. Have you had an MRI?
I have not, but, I've seen an optometrist, an ophlamologist and my gp. None of them have suggested an MRI. Hopefully I'll see my doctor soon and we'll get this all figured out.

Mostly, I was posting because I know there is something really going on with my health, my blood pressure is crazy, I am dizzy - - somehow though, it is ALWAYS and excuse to eat.
sherpamelissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:06 PM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Almost anything can be my excuse to eat -- bad news, good news, feeling good, feeling bad, feeling sad.... somehow food became a panacea for eveything...
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote